What's new

The enemy and Pakistan Army

May I take it that this is a clever retort? I ask because the cleverness is not immediately apparent.

You seem to be in love with the sterling capabilities of your intelligence agencies. If the excellence of intelligence agencies won wars, the Soviets would never have left Afghanistan; the Americans would not have left Vietnam with people clinging to their helicopter skids. Your agencies being mature is a laugh; all they have done so far is to maim your own country, some observers, Pakistani included, think beyond repair. Not very mature, to piss in the soup that you have to drink.

Nobody sensible ever said that Pakistan was a walk in the park (you obviously have a thing going about parks). For one thing, Indians don't sit around the whole day thinking about walking into Pakistan. Indians sit around the whole day making sure that the Pakistanis don't come here for a walk in the park. Other than your prime operative Sorkh Razeel, that is. And equally, if you have any sense for what is going on in India, and has gone on for decades, Indians do not strive for hegemony in south Asia, other than Indians on PDF, who are, present company not excepted, brain damaged by being here anyway. This is every Pakistani fanboy's way of justifying their existence, and that of their military, by imagining imaginary dangers from which they have been saved. The real-life situations were such obvious downers.

Ah, the surgical strikes. They didn't take place because there was no way for them to take place, realistically. When the Indian military comes up against a contradiction between doing something flashy and stupid, and something less demonstrative but mature, they choose the second. It would do you a lot of good if your military did the same, just once, just by mistake, instead of consistently doing the other. So our guys spend a lot of their time in their HQs twiddling their thumbs. Look at what that gets us:

No sending out a crowd of rapists and looters to 'liberate' a country, or to rape and pillage their way through their co-religionists;

No cloak and daggers games going sour, leading to a salvaging attack, which nearly led to loss of a principal city;

No butchery of a main province, leading to it revolting and freeing itself;

No attempts at taking over disputed territories in so ham-handed a manner that orders for snowshoes were placed with the same suppliers who were supplying the declared 'enemy';

No weeks of denial of a military misadventure, followed by an abject climb-down and a mercy mission to POTUS;

Isn't that enough stupidity to last a country its lifetime? Are you surprised that some foreign observers (not Indians) think that this amount of stupidity means that a country has lasted its lifetime?

Saat khoon maaf dada.

The one about the misplaced Brig was a gem too ..... I could feel Icarus and Xeric wincing.

That is something your war planners have already executed. Support Pakistan specific terrorist groups with weapons and money to keep the instability going, but not to the extent where it risks the collapse of the State, which indirectly ensures that the economy stays in the dump. Thus IMO, India has delivered a master stroke, some of my fellow countrymen are just too dumb to see this.

You say it like its a bad thing.

Pakistan is an enemy state.

Throughout history, enemy states have leveraged weak links of the enemy, fostered and widened schisms, bought the corrupt, undermined the incorruptible, created decoys, opened new fronts, and kept the enemy guessing.

You completely missed the mark in your typical Pakistani bravado when you came out chest thumping daring us to make you back down frontally.

We are not stupid.

We have a country to grow and places to go.

You on the other hand have a country to save and places not to go.

I do not understand though why you guys are finding it so difficult?

I mean, you guys wanted a nation for Muslims. You got it.

Islam was supposed to be your solid band of unity.

Our diversity and the impossibility of Hindus and Muslims living together was supposed to be an impossibility and our ultimate downfall.

What happened guys?

Where did things go wrong for you?

Can you please give me a few examples Good Sir. Name me a couple of instances where in the face of Indian demands, Pakistan backed off and accepted Indian's demands.
You are right on the money, pakistan hasn't backed down, just busy on the other side

That more has to do with Pakistan's priorities shifting to her Western borders, and also some of our misguided leaders whom are under the spell that Indian leaders want peace.
There goes again, Indian Boogeyman syndrome

Thats just good speculation Sir served for empty chest thumping for the domestic audience. Your policy makers and public likes to believe that, but unfortunately that is not backed by any evidence or logic.

Again true,
India is 7 times bigger than Pakistan, thus it is obvious that her economy and military budget would be 7 times bigger than Pakistan's. The reason why India is slowly becoming the darling of west is because of the Indian market which consists of 1.2 billion consumers and in hopes of using India as a counterweight against China.
Are you sure India has been the darling of the west just due to it's market, and has nothing to do with anything else? guess how many dictators have our people endorsed?
How many suicide bombers do we create? how many terror organisations are exported by us?

The strategy of minimum credible deterrence has worked quite well for Pakistan
What Minimum credible deterrence? with the entire country being run by the military, entire foreign policy being dominated by military, an the Indian boogeyman is still being kept alive by pakistani generals. Thats maximum disinformation policy followed since ayub.

Pray tell me, when was the last time Pakistan backed off either diplomatically or militarily against India? The minimum deterrence has worked quite well for Pakistan, that is why there has not been any war. An Indian airstrike carried without any impunity or IA/BSF firing mortars and artillery shells inside Pakistan without impunity would equate to Pakistan backing down. But that has not happened, every time Indian Forces have acted belligerent Pakistani Forces have replied in kind. You would have a better argument that India has successfully managed to make Bangladesh, Nepal or Bhutan back down. You can mock the minimum credible deterrence all you want, but on ground it has worked wonders for Pakistan and i am a man who believes that 'Actions speak louder than words'.
I will exactly tell you when you backed down, in kargil.... hoardes of your jawans and officers were mowed down by the airforce, you impotent leadership couldn't do jack. Thats backing down.

The question the Indian public should be asking is why with all these billions spent, the balance of power is still the same in the Indo-Pak scenario. India still cannot punish Pakistan for actions she considers unacceptable and naughty. The sheer frustration is quite visible on the IA as it is trying to implement new doctrines in hopes that it might work against Pakistan, and deliver the quick victory the masses and the political masters want. If India could punish Pakistan as you state India can, believe me her reaction would have been very different after the Mumbai attacks. Lots of noise was made from the Indian side, but nothing tangible came off it.

Actually not at all, India is not spending massive proportions of it's gdp on military, political democracy is in firm control, billions are being spent to get better quality equipment to replace old equipment. Diversification and indigenous development is being carried out on a massive scale. Traditionally pakistan was known to have better quality and India was known to have quantity in def eqp, now India is getting both.
I hope you dont mid if I pose the question, why is your military doing the job of democratically elected leaders, are pakistanis incapable of producing leaders who can reasonable do thier jobs, why do people of pakistan endorse an anti Mohd Ali Jinnah doctrine put in place by Ayub and co?

That is something your war planners have already executed. Support Pakistan specific terrorist groups with weapons and money to keep the instability going, but not to the extent where it risks the collapse of the State, which indirectly ensures that the economy stays in the dump. Thus IMO, India has delivered a master stroke, some of my fellow countrymen are just too dumb to see this.

Baseless speculation coming out of thin air without evidence, how many Indian terror groups in balochistan? But such speculation will be termed as fact, but If I bring up terror links of ISI and taliban/aq suddenly all pakistanis here will start marching on lack of evidence band, right?

You are right on the money, pakistan hasn't backed down, just busy on the other side

Pakistan is backed down.About 10 yrs back,They used to say that we wont do trade with india unless until kashmir is not solved and other issues but now they have started to do so.They backed down from the stance which they had earlier.India always wanted to do trade by putting all issues at back side and they did so.

Pakistan is backed down.About 10 yrs back,They used to say that we wont do trade with india unless until kashmir is not solved and other issues but now they have started to do so.They backed down from the stance which they had earlier.India always wanted to do trade by putting all issues at back side and they did so.

He meant militarily in the present time, backing down was pretty evident in kargil.

From diplomatic standpoint , I can comment because I dont have the expertise to understand the nuances.

India is 7 times bigger than Pakistan, thus it is obvious that her economy and military budget would be 7 times bigger than Pakistan's. The reason why India is slowly becoming the darling of west is because of the Indian market which consists of 1.2 billion consumers and in hopes of using India as a counterweight against China.

That's not about to change, is it?

The question the Indian public should be asking is why with all these billions spent, the balance of power is still the same in the Indo-Pak scenario. India still cannot punish Pakistan for actions she considers unacceptable and naughty. The sheer frustration is quite visible on the IA as it is trying to implement new doctrines in hopes that it might work against Pakistan, and deliver the quick victory the masses and the political masters want. If India could punish Pakistan as you state India can, believe me her reaction would have been very different after the Mumbai attacks. Lots of noise was made from the Indian side, but nothing tangible came off it.

The point that you lot should be asking is that after spending ruinous amounts on defence, you are not an inch closer to your aims. Our primary aim is to maintain the status quo & we are doing that very well.

Don't necessarily agree that is the case but granting validity to your line for the purpose of the argument, it means that Pakistan is effectively checkmated and India can always up the ante if it so chooses. Effectively, you have been forced to stand down from trying more of your shenanigans both because of economic limitations (created by an Indian master stroke according to you) as well as the fear of India upping the ante with a much larger budget than you can muster.

Folks now is the time for people on all sides to show some kindness and understanding, without demanding what will be impossible for the other side to give.

Folks now is the time for people on all sides to show some kindness and understanding, without demanding what will be impossible for the other side to give.

The best form of kindness would be freeing the Pakistanis from their Army.

Further kindnesses would follow from there.

Everybody has a Jekyll and a Hyde inside; Pakistanis will hopefully free themselves from their inner demons in due course of time. Truth always triumphs (even if, in some cases, it takes many generations).

Can you please give me a few examples Good Sir. Name me a couple of instances where in the face of Indian demands, Pakistan backed off and accepted Indian's demands.

To this, i have quoted Bang Galore

India does not have to worry about making Pakistan stand down, Pakistan does that brilliantly itself. Lets just take a look at what Pakistan has done for its interests vis-a-vis India. Most agree that Pakistan's primary aim (I'm not taking crazy ideas of destruction of India/hoisting Pakistani flag on red fort etc into account) is to get a settlement on Kashmir, one that is in favour of Pakistan. What is it exactly that Pakistan has done on that score? When Vajpayee embarked on his Lahore bus yatra, Pakistan's position on Kashmir was probably at it's best; the nuclear weapons granted unprecedented parity, Kashmir was still burning & Pakistan had on the Indian side, a PM wanting to make peace, indeed believing that it could be done. Any settlement in1999-2000 would have (most probably) included some land transfers. Kargil ended that idea. The Pakistan army, the saviour of India territorial integrity...the delicious irony! The coup which followed, the terrorist attack on the Indian parliament of 2001 & the attack on the army families in 2002 made sure that nothing happened during the intervening period. The 2001 attacks in America was a good stroke of luck for India because it made everyone more receptive to allegations of Pakistan being a state sponsor of terrorism. Only towards the end of 2005-06 did backroom channels come up with an outline for settlement of Kashmir, only this time involving no land transfers but with Pakistan having a bigger say. A change in government in Pakistan to a civilian one changed matters because they decided that some demonstrations in Kashmir meant that they could push for more. The Mumbai attacks of 2008 followed which effectively nixed any negotiations on Kashmir till date. The intervening period since 1999 has seen India's economy outpace Pakistan's substantially making Pakistan's position more & more unequal. Where does that leave your "core" issue? You are being effectively forced to stand down from your positions which grows even weaker with every passing year.

In view of the above, it may be more prudent to suggest that Pakistan has no bigger enemy than Pakistan itself.

I can also add many instances where Pakistan has backed down.

1. Pakistan started off demanding UNSC resolutions to be implemented ie plebicite in Kashmir.
Then Musharraf came and he agreed to a non plebicite formula to which India had agreed.
Today even Musharraf's ideas are considered too radical and India will not consider any such idea, at best it is being considered to allow free movement b/w 2 kashmir's with no other change apart from withdrawing COIN forces. Pakistani leaders have started making noises about how Kashmir should be put on backburner. Do you see a continuous dilution in what Pakistan is willing to accept in its core issue?

2. Trade. Pakistan started off saying no trade till core issue was resolved. Today Pakistan's leaders say put kashmir on backburner and trade. Something India always wanted as it will eventually give us great leverage over Pakistan. PA knows this as well.

3. Pakistan wanted India to demilitarize Siachen, India wanted AGPL authentication before any other movement in Siachen. I hope you are also aware what many Pakistani commentators pointed out when PA did not want to go for authentication - that any such authentication if accepted by Pakistan will automatically give legitimacy to Indian presence and the lines it holds!

I hope you are reading what has been happening in Track II. Pakistan has informally agreed to authenticating AGPL.

4. India had opposed and stopped Pakistan from getting textile trade concessions from EU. It is only after India leveraged this and used as a bargaining chip for other issues that Pakistan was allowed those concessions.

This is just off the top of my head. There would be many more.
You just cannot stop a rising India from exploiting its growing clout. Pakistan will increasingly have to go on the backfoot.

That more has to do with Pakistan's priorities shifting to her Western borders, and also some of our misguided leaders whom are under the spell that Indian leaders want peace.
There is a reason why Pakistan's priorities has shifted to the Western borders. It is not by default but by design.

The strategy of minimum credible deterrence has worked quite well for Pakistan

India is infact only 3.6 times bigger than Pakistan. Please dont choose the biggest variable you can find - in this case population - to justify anything.

India is becoming a darling of the west for many reasons, one of which is the market. India is growing her economy. With it comes diplomatic might and military might.
Something Pakistan cannot keep matching even in terms of minimum detterence. Your minimum deterrence would have to keep increasing to match India's increase, but your economy is not growing at the same pace as India's for over a decade now to match it.

Pray tell me, when was the last time Pakistan backed off either diplomatically or militarily against India? The minimum deterrence has worked quite well for Pakistan, that is why there has not been any war. An Indian airstrike carried without any impunity or IA/BSF firing mortars and artillery shells inside Pakistan without impunity would equate to Pakistan backing down. But that has not happened, every time Indian Forces have acted belligerent Pakistani Forces have replied in kind. You would have a better argument that India has successfully managed to make Bangladesh, Nepal or Bhutan back down. You can mock the minimum credible deterrence all you want, but on ground it has worked wonders for Pakistan and i am a man who believes that 'Actions speak louder than words'.
Actions have been mentioned above. While you are seeking a humiliating withdrawal or retreat of Pakistan against India, like how India forces Bangladesh, to justify India making Pakistan back down. This is only tactical and represents overwhelming superiority. We have not achieved that yet.
Instead i am showing you examples of how and where Pakistan is diluting her own stand on its demands from India. That is strategically backing down.

As i mentioned before. Your minimum deterrence needs to keep increasing vis-a-vis India as India is expanding faster than ever. However your country is not expanding at the same rate. The gap required for minimum deterrence levels thus keeps increasing for Pakistan.

As i said before, Pakistan till 2 decades back considered minimum deterrence much higher than what it considers now. There is a reason for this.

The question the Indian public should be asking is why with all these billions spent, the balance of power is still the same in the Indo-Pak scenario. India still cannot punish Pakistan for actions she considers unacceptable and naughty.
The effect of the billions spent is more than visible on Pakistan. Military might is only required in some cases. Our objectives are being achieved in Pakistan today without using military, but military capability increasing acting as a catalyst for our designs in Pakistan.

The sheer frustration is quite visible on the IA as it is trying to implement new doctrines in hopes that it might work against Pakistan, and deliver the quick victory the masses and the political masters want. If India could punish Pakistan as you state India can, believe me her reaction would have been very different after the Mumbai attacks. Lots of noise was made from the Indian side, but nothing tangible came off it.
Ofcourse IA is not capable enough to take out PA with minimum losses. That is why money is now being poured over it and it is undergoing a transformation - slowly. Where as IAF and IN today out range, out gun PAF much more than ever before. That is because those are the areas India focused on for the last decade!

And this is where you fail and fall for the typical Pakistani justification. Just because we have the military capability does not mean we will use it. India may do saber rattling, some provocations here and there, but India realizes war will set her back decades. India as a nation is much more economy and growth oriented than Pakistan. The priority in India is growth. It cannot be risked for war.

Instead, the same objectives can be met by non military means. Something that is being met in Pakistan. Today India is achieving all it wants in Pakistan without having to put its military even on alert status! You assume that India will attack the day it achieves the capability to do so. And equate India not attacking to not having the capability. India thinks differently.

You give India too much credit here. No doubt today Pakistan is just where India wants her to be. But the vast majority of the reason why Pakistan is in this condition is because of Pakistan's own actions - that of rearing terrorist groups on its own soil and even more importantly, using its own citizens for terrorist activities. You radicalized your own society to achieve what you thought were national objectives! You used religion - There is always a blowback! You are facing it.

What you are facing today is not because of India. It is because of Pakistan's decisions taken 2 decades ago. India is merely acting as a catalyst. You are mistaking the woods for the forest.

That's not about to change, is it?

Nops

The point that you lot should be asking is that after spending ruinous amounts on defence, you are not an inch closer to your aims. Our primary aim is to maintain the status quo & we are doing that very well.

You have it the other way around. It is Pakistan that is trying to maintain the status quo while India on the other hand wants to establish itself as the hegemonic power of South Asia. Indian actions of interfering in the internal affairs of her neighbours in the past and trying to build a dominant position at present is ample evidence of Indian expansionist motives. Pakistan's defence money is well spent because we have a nation called Pakistan, Pakistan does not lets herself get bullied by India like other smaller South Asian nations.

Don't necessarily agree that is the case but granting validity to your line for the purpose of the argument, it means that Pakistan is effectively checkmated and India can always up the ante if it so chooses. Effectively, you have been forced to stand down from trying more of your shenanigans both because of economic limitations (created by an Indian master stroke according to you) as well as the fear of India upping the ante with a much larger budget than you can muster.

Indeed, both sides can up the ante. It was a blunder on the part of Pakistani strategists and Musharraf that they failed to take Indian intentions into account. Before the Mumbai attacks, relations between Pakistan and India were excellent and improving. While Pakistan was using its influence on the Kashmiri groups to reduce down their activities, Indian Agencies on the other hand were building presence in Afghanistan so they can support separatist elements inside Pakistan. This was a major blunder on the part of Pakistani Generals that they were under the impression that India was sincere on improving relations with Pakistan. The results are right in-front of us; TTP and BLA are flushed with Indian money and weapons, Kashmiri militant activity in Jammu has largely died down. Thus, a blunder on Pakistan's part as it was not able to read the Indian intentions clearly.

You say it like its a bad thing.

Pakistan is an enemy state.

Its not bad at all. Its just that my fellow Pakistanis were dumb enough to believe that India was serious about peace with Pakistan, that is why Pakistan reduced her clandestine footprint in India. This has now bit us up the a** as Indian supported terrorists are running havoc in our country.

No thank you, please leave us alone. Stop interfering in the internal matters of your neighbours. We Pakistanis are very happy with our country and our Army, we don't need a foreigner to tell us what we want.

@Contrarion. I have a few errands to run, will reply back to you as soon as i am done.

Thanks

You have it the other way around. It is Pakistan that is trying to maintain the status quo while India on the other hand wants to establish itself as the hegemonic power of South Asia. Indian actions of interfering in the internal affairs of her neighbours in the past and trying to build a dominant position at present is ample evidence of Indian expansionist motives. Pakistan's defence money is well spent because we have a nation called Pakistan, Pakistan does not lets herself get bullied by India like other smaller South Asian nations.

NE:- It is all wrong, We want Status-quo, Pakistan has an 'unfinished core issue with us. Lets make LOC as IB and finish the problems once for all. No trade ..no middling at all. How many takers will be there ion Pakistan?

Not really, you are using a definition of status quo different from what is ordinarily used in a India-Pakistan setting. All we are talking about is territorial definitions, in this case with you wanting something that India has & India not wanting anything that you have., India's economy will continue to alter the present status quo to our advantage & your disadvantage remorselessly. There is very little that you can do about it. As far as cliches like "hegemonic", there is no end to that except to point out that such attributes are largely driven by India's economy & since you admit that India has forced Pakistan to be a second rate economy, there is very little that you can do to stop it.

Indeed, both sides can up the ante. It was a blunder on the part of Pakistani strategists and Musharraf that they failed to take Indian intentions into account. Before the Mumbai attacks, relations between Pakistan and India were excellent and improving. While Pakistan was using its influence on the Kashmiri groups to reduce down their activities, Indian Agencies on the other hand were building presence in Afghanistan so they can support separatist elements inside Pakistan. This was a major blunder on the part of Pakistani Generals that they were under the impression that India was sincere on improving relations with Pakistan. The results are right in-front of us; TTP and BLA are flushed with Indian money and weapons, Kashmiri militant activity in Jammu has largely died down. Thus, a blunder on Pakistan's part as it was not able to read the Indian intentions clearly.

If you push that argument further, with limited economic opportunities, Pakistan is more at risk than India especially when you take into account that India can sustain larger amounts of money being pumped in to take advantage of Pakistan's fault lines. The very same economic disparity also limits what you can do especially when you have a lot of firefighting that needs to be done in the face of Indian pressure on those fault lines. Afghanistan, contrary to what many Pakistanis believe is another place where India can keep Pakistan bogged down. It is your neighbour, not ours. If the Americans & NATO do withdraw, India along with the Russians can turn afghan groups we chose to support into powerful & formidable adversaries to you. Since we share no border, we can best keep you occupied there adding a few more pressure points when we need to. Unlike 1990's, India can easily sustain about $2 billion of military aid to the Afghan groups (NA) & essentially create a stalemate on the ground keeping Pakistan's western border hot for the foreseeable future. With the Americans freed from worrying about supply lines, Pakistan is in for a tremendous shock, regardless of what Imran Khan thinks.

Whining about what could have been or imagining conspiracy where all there is to be found is one's own incompetence does not substitute for either state or military policy. An evaluation of Pakistan's options will quickly reveal what is realistic & what is suicidal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom