What's new

The EsotericBuddhism: Why it is valid or needed?

Mangus Ortus Novem

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
@Juggernaut_the_Gangu

Before you totally waste yourself on things unvalubable... here... especially for you that you might be at peace....

Now educate me what is the Significance of The Esoteric Budduhism? Do we need it today?

Why there are Jain and Buddhist temples, carvings and painting in AlloraCaves?

And that very temple... 'translate' it for this nobody....

Mangus

@Juggernaut_the_Gangu

Before you totally waste yourself on things unvalubable... here... especially for you that you might be at peace....

Now educate me what is the Significance of The Esoteric Budduhism? Do we need it today?

Why there are Jain and Buddhist temples, carvings and painting in AlloraCaves?

And that very temple... 'translate' it for this nobody....

Mangus

Buddhism is non-theistic, but that doesnot mean it has a one to one correspondence with Scientific Materialism....This is my one line answer...but please wait till I do a much larger second version

Gold is worshipped in the East and yet the East blames the West for materialism.

smh

Buddhism has two camps, which revolve around the concept of rebirth---------------->

There is the orthodox camp that believes in rebirth in a very direct way but still paradoxical way. This camp's notions of rebirth would be similiar to Hindu reincarnation but with an important twist (which I will get to later)

Orthodox camp believes that a mind takes rebirth in different planes (five or six if I am not mistaken)

Realm of the Gods:

Human Realm:

Demi-God realm (Titans/Asuras)

Animal realm

Hungry-Ghost realm

Hell realm

So a mind according to its past Karma would cycle between these realms through different lives...One thing to note in some versions Demi-Gods and Gods are in a single realm following the example of Indo-European traditions. In the Vedas the Gods and Demi-Gos have periodic wars with each other while living in the same realm

Nirvana/Nibbana being outside of this cycle---->(something totally off the Scale)

Now about the important twist that I talked of earlier:

Buddhists of all hues are rather insistent (quite stupidly sometimes) that there is no soul, but still somehow rebirth functions in some way. They make the case that just as a flame can be passed from one candle to another without a single unitary flame actually travelling between candles, same way a mind travels from one body to another without actually travelling to another body

This is the type of Buddhist that makes temples, Stupas, ornately made meditation caves......The logic is to gain the favour of some Bodhisattva to gain a favourable rebirth next time....Technically Buddhists cannot pray to the Buddha since the Buddha attained Nirvana and doesnot exist in any heaven, hell or any other realm..Prayers can only be made to Gods or Bodhisattvas (near Buddhas who have deliberately put off Nibbanna to help other sentient beings)....

The one problem with the orthodox rebirth theory would be that they are rather insistent on one-to-one rebirth...but a single candle in a single moment can light up multiple other candles...so if there is no soul, a mind can take rebirth in multiple bodies upon death
So this problem was never resolved in Buddhist history.....

Nibbana means to literally "blow-out" , when you extinguish the flame so that there is no way to pass it on any more to other candles
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second more rational version of Buddhism (Zen and very obscure ascetic sects within Theravada) would see rebirth in a different way...They see rebirth in a moment to moment sense ....So within the same hour you may cycle through Godly realm, human realm, animal realm, hungry ghost realm, hell etc depending upon your mindstate

Here Nibbanna would be complete cessation of feelings and discursive thoughts no matter whatever the situation

The aesthetics of such sort of Buddhism would find its expression in pristine clean meditation halls, monasteries, Japanese Gardens, curated rice fields and less in statues, temples etc

Ohh and Dependent Origination is a REALLY Big Deal in all forms of Buddhism...Kind of like the Buddhist Tawheed

Buddhism has two camps, which revolve around the concept of rebirth---------------->

There is the orthodox camp that believes in rebirth in a very direct way but still paradoxical way. This camp's notions of rebirth would be similiar to Hindu reincarnation but with an important twist (which I will get to later)

Orthodox camp believes that a mind takes rebirth in different planes (five or six if I am not mistaken)

Realm of the Gods:

Human Realm:

Demi-God realm (Titans/Asuras)

Animal realm

Hungry-Ghost realm

Hell realm

So a mind according to its past Karma would cycle between these realms through different lives...One thing to note in some versions Demi-Gods and Gods are in a single realm following the example of Indo-European traditions. In the Vedas the Gods and Demi-Gos have periodic wars with each other while living in the same realm

Nirvana/Nibbana being outside of this cycle---->(something totally off the Scale)

Now about the important twist that I talked of earlier:

Buddhists of all hues are rather insistent (quite stupidly sometimes) that there is no soul, but still somehow rebirth functions in some way. They make the case that just as a flame can be passed from one candle to another without a single unitary flame actually travelling between candles, same way a mind travels from one body to another without actually travelling to another body

This is the type of Buddhist that makes temples, Stupas, ornately made meditation caves......The logic is to gain the favour of some Bodhisattva to gain a favourable rebirth next time....Technically Buddhists cannot pray to the Buddha since the Buddha attained Nirvana and doesnot exist in any heaven, hell or any other realm..Prayers can only be made to Gods or Bodhisattvas (near Buddhas who have deliberately put off Nibbanna to help other sentient beings)....

The one problem with the orthodox rebirth theory would be that they are rather insistent on one-to-one rebirth...but a single candle in a single moment can light up multiple other candles...so if there is no soul, a mind can take rebirth in multiple bodies upon death
So this problem was never resolved in Buddhist history.....

Nibbana means to literally "blow-out" , when you extinguish the flame so that there is no way to pass it on any more to other candles
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second more rational version of Buddhism (Zen and very obscure ascetic sects within Theravada) would see rebirth in a different way...They see rebirth in a moment to moment sense ....So within the same hour you may cycle through Godly realm, human realm, animal realm, hungry ghost realm, hell etc depending upon your mindstate

Here Nibbanna would be complete cessation of feelings and discursive thoughts no matter whatever the situation

The aesthetics of such sort of Buddhism would find its expression in pristine clean meditation halls, monasteries, Japanese Gardens, curated rice fields and less in statues, temples etc

Ohh and Dependent Origination is a REALLY Big Deal in all forms of Buddhism...Kind of like the Buddhist Tawheed
Buddha did not engage himself in useless spiritual/philosophical debates.

The only way to be a true Buddhist is turn into a Buddhist bhikshu/monk.

Buddha left his kingdom and everything else at the age of 29 ( and Mahavira at the age of 30).

You are 30. What are you waiting for!

Buddha did not engage himself in useless spiritual/philosophical debates.

The only way to be a true Buddhist is turn into a Buddhist bhikshu/monk.

Buddha left his kingdom and everything else at the age of 29 ( and Mahavira at the age of 30).

You are 30. What are you waiting for!

I like Buddhist philosophy, but I am a pure Scientific Materialist atheist...and I love women,meat and motorcycles too much

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom