What's new

The Global Innovation Index 2014 (World's Most Innovative Countries)

china44.png

No it's not done by patents.

If it was, China would be at the top of the world:

World Intellectual Property Indicators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

China is known to push quantity (papers) other nations, quality, that counts.

Why China isn’t likely to overtake the U.S. in science anytime soon - The Washington Post

china45.png

USA is number 1 in innovation by a long long long way.

Absolutely. China needs to foster an environment more conducive to innovation but tackling the rampant piracy that is symptomatic of many 3rd world countries will take time. There must be much harsher punishments for intellectual property crimes. IMO, making penalties for intellectual property infringements as severe as say certain corruption cases would be a good start.

God knows the criteria for this listing is!! But nobody before even thought of trying the innovative slingshot mechanism India took for the world's cheapest mission to Mars!! Tell me if any of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan,Malta, Barbados etc etc can perform any such deed.

This is a joke listing. Look at the position of Russia, its well behind China.. That's seriously hilarious!!

God knows the criteria for this listing is!! But nobody before even thought of trying the innovative slingshot mechanism India took for the world's cheapest mission to Mars!! Tell me if any of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan,Malta, Barbados etc etc can perform any such deed.

This is a joke listing. Look at the position of Russia, its well behind China.. That's seriously hilarious!!

This is the Global Innovation Index:

The Global Innovation Index 2014 - The Human Factor in Innovation

It is literally the main and only major international ranking of innovation.

Not credible at all.. The rankings are fucked up.. In fact, the rankings seems to be coming from one PDF troll's site.. LOL

Global Innovation Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Global Innovation Index is an annual publication which features, among others, a composite indicator that ranks countries/economies in terms of their enabling environment to innovation and their innovation outputs.

For the 2013 edition, Cornell University joined INSEAD and the World Intellectual Property Organization as co-publisher.

Global Innovation Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Global Innovation Index is an annual publication which features, among others, a composite indicator that ranks countries/economies in terms of their enabling environment to innovation and their innovation outputs.

For the 2013 edition, Cornell University joined INSEAD and the World Intellectual Property Organization as co-publisher.
Doesn't matter.. If they rank Russia after China, Malta, Barbados etc etc then the so called ranking is nothing but a joke..

In terms of real innovation, actual ranking numbers, IMO, don't really matter.

I think its more useful to put countries in terms of categories like this:

"upstream technology producer" - produces the machines that make other machines i.e. photolithography machines, CNC mills and presses, etc. as well as the highest end manufactured goods such as parts for aerospace and power, semiconductor components, medical devices, etc.

"downstream technology producer" - produces manufactured goods, whether high or low tech, using machines imported from advanced economies, as well as some lower end versions of process machinery.

"technology consumer" - countries that do not produce manufactured goods, or very little, and are mostly importers of technology.

Examples of each category:

US, Germany in the 1st.
Thailand, Malaysia in the 2nd.
most countries not in East/Southeast Asia, Europe or North America in the 3rd.

I'd put South Korea and China at between 1st and 2nd, with South Korea closer to 1st and China closer to 2nd, but obviously above countries like Thailand and Malaysia in industrial levels. I'd put India at between 2nd and 3rd, with India having obvious strengths in manufacturing, but not a complete supply chain and definitely needing to import many components or process machinery.

Back
Top Bottom