What's new

The Most Inspiring News I've Read Lately

William Hung

Reaction score
Well, it's not really "news", but it has been reported widely in news media.

Chinese teacher's inspiring 'the world is big' resignation letter causes a buzz - East Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Chinese teacher's inspiring 'the world is big' resignation letter

BEIJING (CHINA DAILY/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - A resignation letter of 10 Chinese characters has gone viral on Chinese social media because of its inspiring message.

"The world is big and I want to go out and see it," says the letter in Chinese, and was penned by a female teacher at Henan Experimental High School, who worked as a counsellor for 11 years.

Chinese media reported that she was Ms Gu Shaoqiang, an educational psychologist who graduated from Henan Normal University in 2004.

"This is the coolest resignation ever. The writer is so 'renxing' in pursuing her dream and I like it," said Sina Weibo user Yangguanglushang669. "Renxing" is popular online catchphrase that means to do whatever you want without restraint.

The letter dated April 13 leaked after Ms Gu's colleague snapped a photo of it and posted it online on Tuesday. Soon the post went viral on Chinese social media, and was reposted by official media, such as Xinhua and People's Daily.

Dahe Daily reported that her resignation has been accepted by the school.

Ms Gu has turned down interview requests from media, and declined to disclose her reason for resigning, according to Zynews.com, a news website based in Henan province.

"Resignation is my personal decision," She was quoted by media as saying. "I don't want to have any interviews over this. I just want to continue my peaceful life."

She said it was unexpected that the letter could grab the headlines, adding that she wants to "touch the world with eyes" when she is still able to do so.

"I long for simple life. I hope people won't ask me or mention the letter anymore. This is just my own decision. That's it," she said on Tuesday night in a post on WeChat, a popular messaging app.

A graduate from the high school said Ms Gu's teaching is "easy to understand, but comes with profound meaning".

ResignGraphy150415e.jpg

ShaoQiang150415e.jpg

:smitten:

The world is BIG and I want to go out and see it!

But I have no money. :mad:

This is the article I see interesting Today

Fareed Zakaria Shares 4 Key Ways to Become an Incredible Leader
There is only one educational path for the best leaders and, surprisingly, it's not an engineering degree. Fareed Zakaria shares the secret.
BY KEVIN DAUM

kevin_daum_800x800_14813.jpg

Inc. 500 entrepreneur and best-selling author@KevinJDaum

In Defense of a Liberal Education (W.W. Norton and Company 2015), he makes clear that while a liberal arts degree may not directly help you to be an engineer or a scientist, it will make you better than others at the most important skills every leader needs for success.

"Success comes from creating interesting thinkers who can encourage synergy and be creative," says Zakaria, host of CNN's Fareed Zakaria GPS. He makes a strong case that a classic liberal arts degree teaches you how to think, how to learn, and most importantly how to write.

Since degrees in liberal arts and humanities have dropped significantly as of late, I asked Zakaria in a recent interview if he thought that those with narrow degrees like finance and engineering could find a way to compensate and be more successful leaders. Here are Zakaria's direct insights about the four paths he suggested.

1. Follow your intellectual curiosity.

Zakaria explains that a liberal education is about following your intellectual curiosity, whatever you do. He suggests that if you are interested in a subject, get into it more deeply. Zakaria says:"Go further than Wikipedia. Talk to real experts. Read books. You will develop an understanding of what real knowledge looks like. It is more than just web surfing, and being a consumer of stuff. Going deep helps you develop the ability to become a producer of stuff. It feeds your ability to do that through your entire life."

Zakaria suggests exploratory activity."Going through a great museum feeds you in a different way than reading a book, listening to music, or dealing with a challenge at work. If you feed all of the different parts of your mind and your spirit, you can make all kinds of different connections. Learn to enjoy the process."

2. Pay attention to good writing.

Zakaria believes (and I agree) that writing is at the core of communication, especially in today's electronic environment. Good writers can sell ideas and sell themselves. Great leaders must be able to communicate well in order to get people to listen to them. Zakaria describes in his book the writing process that Jeff Bezos demands from Amazon executives: Bezos makes them write multi-page detailed narratives when submitting proposals or opinions. Zakaria argues that unlike verbal communication, writing doesn't allow logical gaps or lack of clarity. Zakaria emphatically states: "Learn to write! Read all the time and ask yourself what makes something good writing."

3. Learn how to interact with people.

Zakaria makes the case that a liberal arts education better teaches interpersonal interaction. Zakaria describes it best: "We don't think of [interpersonal connection] as part of a liberal education, but it is. College is inherently social. You take part in classes and in extra-curricular activities. It doesn't seem like learning, but learning towork in teams and interact with other people is crucial. I asked the CEO of Time Warner, 'What is the skill that is most valuable in business that doesn't get taught in a classroom?' He said teamwork. Making people want to work with you. That explains why some people get promotions, or funding, etc., and other people don't."

4. Cultivate unfamiliar ideas.

The whole idea of a liberal arts education is to expose you to ideas and brilliance beyond your existing world. The very act of integrating the ideas of smart people into your daily life exercises your cognitive skills. Zakaria says: "Think outside of your experience, or your disciplines. The most interesting ideas come from the confluence, the intersections of disciplines. This is why people with an artistic business who go into business succeed. They really do bring something unique. The more boxes and points of context you have between them, the better the ideas will be. We are drowning in information, and very little knowledge." According to Zakaria great leadership and success comes more from open, emotional discovery than it does from simply focusing on simple facts and narrow practices.

There is only one educational path for the best leaders and, surprisingly, it's not an engineering degree. Fareed Zakaria shares the secret.
BY KEVIN DAUM

In Defense of a Liberal Education (W.W. Norton and Company 2015), he makes clear that while a liberal arts degree may not directly help you to be an engineer or a scientist, it will make you better than others at the most important skills every leader needs for success.

"Success comes from creating interesting thinkers who can encourage synergy and be creative," says Zakaria, host of CNN's Fareed Zakaria GPS. He makes a strong case that a classic liberal arts degree teaches you how to think, how to learn, and most importantly how to write.

Since degrees in liberal arts and humanities have dropped significantly as of late, I asked Zakaria in a recent interview if he thought that those with narrow degrees like finance and engineering could find a way to compensate and be more successful leaders. Here are Zakaria's direct insights about the four paths he suggested.

Zakaria explains that a liberal education is about following your intellectual curiosity, whatever you do. He suggests that if you are interested in a subject, get into it more deeply. Zakaria says:"Go further than Wikipedia. Talk to real experts. Read books. You will develop an understanding of what real knowledge looks like. It is more than just web surfing, and being a consumer of stuff. Going deep helps you develop the ability to become a producer of stuff. It feeds your ability to do that through your entire life."

Zakaria suggests exploratory activity."Going through a great museum feeds you in a different way than reading a book, listening to music, or dealing with a challenge at work. If you feed all of the different parts of your mind and your spirit, you can make all kinds of different connections. Learn to enjoy the process."

Zakaria believes (and I agree) that writing is at the core of communication, especially in today's electronic environment. Good writers can sell ideas and sell themselves. Great leaders must be able to communicate well in order to get people to listen to them. Zakaria describes in his book the writing process that Jeff Bezos demands from Amazon executives: Bezos makes them write multi-page detailed narratives when submitting proposals or opinions. Zakaria argues that unlike verbal communication, writing doesn't allow logical gaps or lack of clarity. Zakaria emphatically states: "Learn to write! Read all the time and ask yourself what makes something good writing."

Zakaria makes the case that a liberal arts education better teaches interpersonal interaction. Zakaria describes it best: "We don't think of [interpersonal connection] as part of a liberal education, but it is. College is inherently social. You take part in classes and in extra-curricular activities. It doesn't seem like learning, but learning towork in teams and interact with other people is crucial. I asked the CEO of Time Warner, 'What is the skill that is most valuable in business that doesn't get taught in a classroom?' He said teamwork. Making people want to work with you. That explains why some people get promotions, or funding, etc., and other people don't."

The whole idea of a liberal arts education is to expose you to ideas and brilliance beyond your existing world. The very act of integrating the ideas of smart people into your daily life exercises your cognitive skills. Zakaria says: "Think outside of your experience, or your disciplines. The most interesting ideas come from the confluence, the intersections of disciplines. This is why people with an artistic business who go into business succeed. They really do bring something unique. The more boxes and points of context you have between them, the better the ideas will be. We are drowning in information, and very little knowledge." According to Zakaria great leadership and success comes more from open, emotional discovery than it does from simply focusing on simple facts and narrow practices.

OK so we're turning this into an "inspirational news" thread. But I want to see the whole world...with my own eyes.

BY KEVIN DAUM

Zakaria is a clown and even caught plagiarizing word for word somebody else s work.

I wish I have a day job so I could write such cool resignation letter.

How old are you? If you dont have a job you should stay away from this time wasting forum!

PDF will eat your soul if your too young to weather its rough world of big mouth gorillas with banana tree breaking fists.

OK so we're turning this into an "inspirational news" thread. But I want to see the whole world...with my own eyes.

Many good writers are here, so I just want to inspire them by using your thread ............. :-)

I have quit working with people some years ago.....he,he.

Well, I want to see the whole world with my own eyes is a good statement though, but it can be better if we can go around the world to inspire rather than absorbing knowledge, and get some huge dollar because of that :devil:

Lastly, I try to see the world ( under nationalistic people frame) by using PDF instead, cheaper and more cost effective :D

Zakaria is a clown and even caught plagiarizing word for word somebody else s work.

At least he works at CNN and can put his argument/ opinion through for wider audience. Setting up a Think Tank organisation is something easy for him, particularly to get some project, by doing that, he can influence a nation policy.

Positive thinking, man, positive thinking! This is an "inspirational news" thread.

I think Zakaria just wants to spread his wealth of knowledge, even if those knowledge originated from someone else and he is making mad money out of it. But he is still spreading knowledge nonetheless.

How old are you? If you dont have a job you should stay away from this time wasting forum!

PDF will eat your soul if your too young to weather its rough world of big mouth gorillas with banana tree breaking fists.

Don't worry, I've been a PDF member since 2013. And my post counts still look healthy. Some people have only been a member for less than a year and has made +5000 posts already. Now THAT'S worrying. Or maybe they are just spreading knowledge, positive thinking.

I'm a uni student. And PDF is the perfect place for me to slack around whenever I'm bored with my study. Especially when I fight with keyboard warriors, I look like I'm studying really hard. My research advisor would be very proud.

Many good writers are here, so I just want to inspire them by using your thread ............. :-)

I have quit working with people some years ago.....he,he.

Well, I want to see the whole world with my own eyes is a good statement though, but it can be better if we can go around the world to inspire rather than absorbing knowledge, and get some huge dollar because of that :devil:

Lastly, I try to see the world ( under nationalistic people frame) by using PDF instead, cheaper and more cost effective

Bro, what kind of writer are you? I thought you are a journalist. Now you sounds like some kind of think tank or analyst.

Once I wanted to be a novelist. Actually I wanted to write and draw my own Manga. But Bakuman scared me.

Bro, what kind of writer are you? I thought you are a journalist. Now you sounds like some kind of think tank or analyst.

Once I wanted to be a novelist. Actually I wanted to write and draw my own Manga. But Bakuman scared me.

I was a journalist before. Not any more. It was a good experience though if you just come up from university, as we will met so many high level people personally. But I dont give up my writing ambition at all. I am still in some way nurturing and developing the skill on PDF. For the mean time just want to focus on setting up a good business.

I was a journalist before. Not any more. It was a good experience though if you just come up from university, as we will met so many high level people personally. But I dont give up my writing ambition at all. I am still in some way nurturing and developing the skill on PDF. For the mean time just want to focus on setting up a good business.

Woah man, it sounds like you are setting up a real think tank org. Let me know when you are hiring. I'll send you a fat envelope my resume.

Woah man, it sounds like you are setting up a real think tank org. Let me know when you are hiring. I'll send you a fat envelope my resume.

Not a think tank organisation man, I am not an academic person. I only hold bachelor degree. My other half passion is in marketing. So I usually call companies while seeing you guys here in PDF in the same time.........:D

Have you seen the pursuit of happiness movie ? Thats how a marketer work to try to get corporate clients. The process is really challenging and I really love that. It is like being at a war constantly. :sniper:

I believe you should have some kind of experience in marketing if you finish your master degree later. It helps when we want to do business. Learning statistic is also a good thing to set up a market research company. I see you and many PDF members here have potential though. I found that only 4 person can do that, the survey will be conducted by freelancer, but the marketing side is really the crucial thing (not my business though, just want to share it here).

My business is a usual one mate, but we do need writing skills when we write a proposal. And the way we talk can also make customer understand that they are facing the right company/ service/ product. So thats why I put the article here. Good writer do have much potential. It is the point here.

A good and smart woman.

I always want to do thing like her too.

Btw, the budget plan to see the world: Have a rich boyfriend or husband first!

A good and smart woman.

I always want to do thing like her too.

Btw, the budget plan to see the world: Have a rich boyfriend or husband first!

Are you saying this is why she is quiting her job? to find a rich husband?

Not a think tank organisation man, I am not an academic person. I only hold bachelor degree. My other half passion is in marketing. So I usually call companies while seeing you guys here in PDF in the same time.........:D

Have you seen the pursuit of happiness movie ? Thats how a marketer work to try to get corporate clients. The process is really challenging and I really love that. It is like being at a war constantly. :sniper:

I believe you should have some kind of experience in marketing if you finish your master degree later. It helps when we want to do business. Learning statistic is also a good thing to set up a market research company. I see you and many PDF members here have potential though. I found that only 4 person can do that, the survey will be conducted by freelancer, but the marketing side is really the crucial thing (not my business though, just want to share it here).

My business is a usual one mate, but we do need writing skills when we write a proposal. And the way we talk can also make customer understand that they are facing the right company/ service/ product. So thats why I put the article here. Good writer do have much potential. It is the point here.

Aww, too bad I'm not in the business/finance/marketing field and I'm bad in stats. I like the money that business people earn, but I don't like the work (management) that business people have to do.

If I stay in PDF for long, I can become a master in writing keyboard warrior claims in **** measuring contest style. This would be a great skill to have in marketing.

Will your business be domestic or international?

Aww, too bad I'm not in the business/finance/marketing field and I'm bad in stats. I like the money that business people earn, but I don't like the work (management) that business people have to do.

If I stay in PDF for long, I can become a master in writing keyboard warrior claims in **** measuring contest style. This would be a great skill to have in marketing.

Will your business be domestic or international?

Domestic mate, for more precise, it is still in Jakarta and its surrounding area (its market). Not a big one yet, inshaALLAH it will be big some day, I hope. But I follow my passion here. Business people starts small first of course, only big business has a complex structure. If it is a small business so we handle all kind of operation like marketing, operational, administration, etc

Actually I can get easily bored if I just do one thing for a living. The thing that is great about making a business is to become independence from people. We have bigger risk of course, but as a believer we trust to our God. And in Islam, relying to ALLAH only is something that is preferred, our last prophet is also a merchant, and even a successful one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom