What's new

The U.S. Army's New 84-Ton Tank Prototype Is Nearly IED-Proof

Yaar you remind me of GTA :cray:. Good old days. I remember playing San Andreas and flying a Sea Harrier, shooting people while Rang De Basanti played in background (I customized the radio and filled it with hindi songs :omghaha:)

running with the tanks and destroying everything then Cops on your tail , @5 star alert army attacks you :omghaha:

what about car's horn to girls during night then something happens :P :whistle:

I will probably run faster than a 85 ton tank.........Off road I meant.....

Heavy does not even begin to describe the U.S. Army's new tank. At 84 tons, the Ground Combat Vehicle prototype weighs more than twice as much as its predecessor, the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/land-w...prototype-nearly-ied-proof.html#ixzz2Uza3vfiK

Obviously an idiot writer : the Bradley is not a TANK. Either pic shows Bradley follow on (which, if indeed twice the weight of the BRadley, should come out at about 45-60 tons. Which is exactly what I find) or it is a weird looking tank

The Ground Combat Vehicle (GCV) programme was initiated as part of the US Army's modernisation efforts to deliver its armed forces with a next-generation infantry fighting vehicle.....The programme calls for the completion of an early prototype vehicle by mid-2014 and the first full-up prototype by early 2016. The GCV will have an overall length of nine metres, width of five metres and a height of three metres. The weight of the vehicle will be 63.5t. The GCV will protect the crew from small arms fire, shell splinters, IEDs and land mines. The mine and explosively formed projectile (EFP) protection of the vehicle will be similar to or exceed the protection level offered by RG33 MRAP (mine-resistant ambush protected) vehicles. The GCV will be further equipped with armour kits for additional protection.
Ground Combat Vehicle (GCV) - Army Technology

FUture combat system program aims to lighten MBTs....
The mounted combat system (MCS) would replace the Abrams tank. Equipped with a new 120-millimeter gun capable of destroying targets at a distance of up to 8 kilometers, the MCS would weigh one-third as much as the latest model of the Abrams tank. Despite having one-fifth as much fuel-storage capacity as the Abrams, the MCS’s cruising range, based on current designs, would be about two-thirds that of the tank (300 km as opposed to 440 km), and its maximum speed on roads (80 km per hour) would be about 20 percent greater.
http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/ftpdocs/74xx/doc7461/08-02-army.pdf (see page 22)

As a cavalry officer myself. I know for a fact that the role of IFV (This is not a tank or strictly speaking, armor) is to keep up with the MBT, so when the MBT in difficult terrain, the IFV can unload the troop and fight alongside the tank.

With 84 tons, I don't care how big the engine is going to be, it will most likely to get left behind by the Abrams. Then what good will it be to have an IFV?

IFV design must be light and agile, cause they also served as the recon element of any Armored Warfare.
Oops....took a closer look

lol, I forgot about this point, if you want your vehicle IED proofed. You must not run track on it.......

Run track then you will need to wait for recovery, otherwise you can change the tare yourselves
Keeping the crew safe is the goal....you can always recover or replace the vehicle.

Keeping the crew safe is the goal....you can always recover or replace the vehicle.

true, but waiting recovery vehicle to show up while in combat can be so much fun.......

especially sitting inside a 85 ton APC with a big sign on either side saying "PLEASE SHOOT HERE"

Wait until insurgent show up with a video cam, that will make sure you got your 15 minutes of fame, the catch is, you will probably be dead afterward :)

Seriously, waiting on recovery while in a fire fight is pretty dangerous stunt to pull, just a bit harder than taking a combat dump..........

true, but waiting recovery vehicle to show up while in combat can be so much fun.......

especially sitting inside a 85 ton APC with a big sign on either side saying "PLEASE SHOOT HERE"

Wait until insurgent show up with a video cam, that will make sure you got your 15 minutes of fame, the catch is, you will probably be dead afterward :)

Seriously, waiting on recovery while in a fire fight is pretty dangerous stunt to pull, just a bit harder than taking a combat dump..........
If the tank is there by itself.....usually a few buddies around to watch. The insurgents get one chance with the ied.....if it doesn't kill they gotta scram or die. It's not like it sits by itself while anyone can come and go around it. Anyone coming near after an ied is dead. (any films you see are of the ied blast.....show me one where they stayed and fought and captured a crew after initial blast)

Bhaiii .. par deti kitna hai????

The U.S. Army's New 84-Ton Tank Prototype Is Nearly IED-Proof

GCV.jpg

If the tank is there by itself.....usually a few buddies around to watch. The insurgents get one chance with the ied.....if it doesn't kill they gotta scram or die. It's not like it sits by itself while anyone can come and go around it. Anyone coming near after an ied is dead. (any films you see are of the ied blast.....show me one where they stayed and fought and captured a crew after initial blast)

I think you put an arbitrary assumption into the equation. You don't really need IED to capture or kill the crew inside.

you are there alone, maybe with a 4 men crew. What if 6-10 insurgent just trying to camp you out, can you survive a few hours in the desert road with just the food and water you have with you?? Or you suggest the crew get out and try to hunt down and kill the insurgent??

Even when the recovery vehicle show up, no one is going to work outside cover with insurgent taking pot shot at you. So you either wait for main column to show up and get you out of your jam, or you just invite the recovery vehicle to sit there with you, both doing nothing.

When they disable your tank (Either by IED or RPG) they don't need to converge and attack you, they will just solidify their position and wait for your buddy show up so that they can kill you. This HAPPENS A LOT in IRAQ when I was there.

I think you put an arbitrary assumption into the equation. You don't really need IED to capture or kill the crew inside.

you are there alone, maybe with a 4 men crew. What if 6-10 insurgent just trying to camp you out, can you survive a few hours in the desert road with just the food and water you have with you?? Or you suggest the crew get out and try to hunt down and kill the insurgent??

Even when the recovery vehicle show up, no one is going to work outside cover with insurgent taking pot shot at you. So you either wait for main column to show up and get you out of your jam, or you just invite the recovery vehicle to sit there with you, both doing nothing.

When they disable your tank (Either by IED or RPG) they don't need to converge and attack you, they will just solidify their position and wait for your buddy show up so that they can kill you. This HAPPENS A LOT in IRAQ when I was there.
Uhm....in the American military lone tanks don't drive around on their own.....so not four of you....minimum your platoon.....usually with plenty of infantry in support. Again....show me a film that after the blast....they wait out the tank and take a crew. If they survive the blast....they are fine. (you are the one who said they would show up after it was disabled and film them finishing off a crew....certainly they must have used this tactic and it's on film already?)

Uhm....in the American military lone tanks don't drive around on their own.....so not four of you....minimum your platoon.....usually with plenty of infantry in support. Again....show me a film that after the blast....they wait out the tank and take a crew. If they survive the blast....they are fine. (you are the one who said they would show up after it was disabled and film them finishing off a crew)

No, you are right, we don't EVER use lone tank anywhere, especially in build up area. But we also don't use armour to run around without objective.........

Problem is, when one in your platoon is disable, will you wait for recovery or you continue on your mission, doesn't matter if your tank break downs or under fire, you cannot risk breaking the chain of logistic just for 1 tank, that's not combat effective.

Let's see, say you're in a tank company, 16 tanks, 1 tank break down, who you left behind to wait for recovery?? First, of course is said tank that broken down. But then you will need to have a security detachment stay behind and look after the crew probable maybe a platoon of soldier?, then you need maybe 1 or 2 deuce and a half truck to make sure they are supplied and supported during the wait. Well, then probably it's wise to scratch the mission and just wait for that tank to recover, as you are leaving half of your company staying behind and guard just 1 tank......You are not going to make the mission on time, heck, you may not even have enough force to complete your mission.

Many stories I heard are people leaving everything from supply truck to the whole company to Humvee and tank on the side of the road, you can try to wait it out if you want, but nobody are going to stay behind and look after you when you broken down, it's not like your car is broken down at Queens Expressway and waiting for AAA to come pick you up, it may take hours if not days for recovery vehicle to get to you...

Normally you assess the situation and decided to leave them for recovery or destroy them and move on.

This is what our army do when a Humvee is stuck.......You leave them behind and have them deal with it, if the situation is hot, you destroy it and mount on other and move on, you don't see the whole platoon 4 or 5 Humvee stay there and wait for them

Uhm....in the American military lone tanks don't drive around on their own.....so not four of you....minimum your platoon.....usually with plenty of infantry in support. Again....show me a film that after the blast....they wait out the tank and take a crew. If they survive the blast....they are fine. (you are the one who said they would show up after it was disabled and film them finishing off a crew....certainly they must have used this tactic and it's on film already?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow....the fire was heavy and those guys were almost captured! Like I said....you survive the blast you are ok. In my original post I said recover or leave....Humvees can be replaced....so can tanks....we are not that hard up for equipment. You know we have well over 20,000 MRAP's....and only want to keep 8,000? The crew is important....the equipment not. IED proof means the crew survives....not the tank (even though that's a bonus....) PS...those MRAP's have only been produced since 2007....

Back
Top Bottom