This mosque is India's first, Prophet's contemporary

Hindustani78

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Last Updated: Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 14:27
This mosque is India's first, Prophet's contemporary | Zee News

Kodungallur: One will find nothing unusual about this place of worship for Muslims as one drives past this town in central Kerala, just 30 km north of Kochi. But it`s when you go in and chat up with the volunteers and office-bearers that the enormity of its legacy actually hits you.

For Cheraman Jum`ah Masjid in this town, also known by its anglicised name Cranganore, is not just the oldest in India and the subcontinent but one built during the lifetime of Prophet Mohammad in 629 AD by an Arab propagator of Islam, Malik Ibn Dinar.

It is also testimony to two facts. One, Islam came to India long before the Mughals came in from the northwest. Two, the entry of Islam was smooth and Muslims enjoyed the full patronage of the locals irrespective of their religions - a facet that is still visible and cherished here.

This mosque stands proud with two other landmarks of Kodungallur, also known as Muziris. The first is the Saint Thomas Church, also said to be among the first in India built by the Apostle himself around 52 AD. He had arrived here in India and the church has some holy relics from the olden days. The second is the Bhagavathy Temple of Cheran ruler Chenguttavan, also known as Vel Kelu Kuttuvan, around 150 AD.

In fact, in a manifestation of India`s cultural syncretism, many non-Muslims are its devotees and hold "Vidhyarambham", or the commencement of education ceremony for their children at this mosque. During Ramadan, iftaar offerings are often made by the non-Muslim communities in the area.

There are several legends surrounding the Cheraman Jum`ah mosque. As one goes: It was built under the patronage of the last Chera king, Cheraman Perumal, who is also believed to have abdicated his throne and embraced Islam upon meeting the Prophet at Mecca.

But before he died at Dhufar in Oman due to some illness on the way back to India, he wrote some letters asking the local rulers, to whom he had handed over his empire, to extend all help they could to some Arab merchants who were planning to visit India.

One such merchant, Malik Ibn Dinar, was given permission by local chieftains to build Islamic places of worship around the area. The mosque accordingly is called the Cheraman Mosque in recognition of the help extended by the last Chera ruler.

This apart, Malik Ibn Dinar, who was also a "sahaba" or a companion of the Prophet, was the mosque`s first Ghazi, succeeded by his nephew Habib Bin Malik. Both Habib Bin Malik and his wife are entombed at the Cheraman Juma Masjid.

The original mosque itself has undergone several renovations. The oral traditions have it that the first such refurbishment took place in the 11th century and again some 300 years later. In the modern era a revamp was done in 1974, after which a reconstruction happened in 2001.

But all along, the sanctum sanctorum has been preserved. Minarets and a dome are also modern-day additions. Yet, despite the renovations, a striking amalgam of different cultures and religions is in full play at the grand old mosque.

From some angles, it can even pass off as a temple.

At the centre of this striking blend of several architectural styles and practices is a traditional Kerala-style lamp hanging from the ceiling. This lamp also has inscriptions in old Malayalam script Vattezhuthu.

In true style of temples in the south, the mosque also has a pond. Then the minber, or the pulpit from where the Imam delivers sermons, has some intricate carvings and lacquer work, which is again unique to southern India.

The mosque also has a small museum. At the centre, inside a glass casing, is a miniature replica of the mosque as it stood around 350 years ago. There are also some other artefacts from the times gone by, such as the redstones that were used to as building material in sizes uncommon today, and an ancient sewage channel.

IANS

I heard most Muslims in Kerala Follows Shafai School of thought which is what most Arab Muslim also do while in North India Hanafi School of Thought is followed. If this is true then this makes the Connection of Muslims of Kerala with Arabs more evident and visible and much older then Connection of Islam with Pakistan, North India and Bangladesh parts of South Asia. It is no big deal for having Hindus Participation in Muslim's Education related affairs because even in Pakistan many Christian Missionary Schools have way more Muslim Students then Christian Students in Pakistan. That doesnt mean they are all Agreed with Christian Faith Completely rather it is EDUCATION Institutions whos purpose are to provide Education rather then Anglicizing people same can be applied for Kerala Mosque as well and also for people like Azeem Premji and his Philanthropy for Promoting Education in India.

Last Updated: Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 14:27
This mosque is India's first, Prophet's contemporary | Zee News

Kodungallur: One will find nothing unusual about this place of worship for Muslims as one drives past this town in central Kerala, just 30 km north of Kochi. But it`s when you go in and chat up with the volunteers and office-bearers that the enormity of its legacy actually hits you.

For Cheraman Jum`ah Masjid in this town, also known by its anglicised name Cranganore, is not just the oldest in India and the subcontinent but one built during the lifetime of Prophet Mohammad in 629 AD by an Arab propagator of Islam, Malik Ibn Dinar.

It is also testimony to two facts. One, Islam came to India long before the Mughals came in from the northwest. Two, the entry of Islam was smooth and Muslims enjoyed the full patronage of the locals irrespective of their religions - a facet that is still visible and cherished here.

This mosque stands proud with two other landmarks of Kodungallur, also known as Muziris. The first is the Saint Thomas Church, also said to be among the first in India built by the Apostle himself around 52 AD. He had arrived here in India and the church has some holy relics from the olden days. The second is the Bhagavathy Temple of Cheran ruler Chenguttavan, also known as Vel Kelu Kuttuvan, around 150 AD.

In fact, in a manifestation of India`s cultural syncretism, many non-Muslims are its devotees and hold "Vidhyarambham", or the commencement of education ceremony for their children at this mosque. During Ramadan, iftaar offerings are often made by the non-Muslim communities in the area.

There are several legends surrounding the Cheraman Jum`ah mosque. As one goes: It was built under the patronage of the last Chera king, Cheraman Perumal, who is also believed to have abdicated his throne and embraced Islam upon meeting the Prophet at Mecca.

But before he died at Dhufar in Oman due to some illness on the way back to India, he wrote some letters asking the local rulers, to whom he had handed over his empire, to extend all help they could to some Arab merchants who were planning to visit India.

One such merchant, Malik Ibn Dinar, was given permission by local chieftains to build Islamic places of worship around the area. The mosque accordingly is called the Cheraman Mosque in recognition of the help extended by the last Chera ruler.

This apart, Malik Ibn Dinar, who was also a "sahaba" or a companion of the Prophet, was the mosque`s first Ghazi, succeeded by his nephew Habib Bin Malik. Both Habib Bin Malik and his wife are entombed at the Cheraman Juma Masjid.

The original mosque itself has undergone several renovations. The oral traditions have it that the first such refurbishment took place in the 11th century and again some 300 years later. In the modern era a revamp was done in 1974, after which a reconstruction happened in 2001.

But all along, the sanctum sanctorum has been preserved. Minarets and a dome are also modern-day additions. Yet, despite the renovations, a striking amalgam of different cultures and religions is in full play at the grand old mosque.

From some angles, it can even pass off as a temple.

At the centre of this striking blend of several architectural styles and practices is a traditional Kerala-style lamp hanging from the ceiling. This lamp also has inscriptions in old Malayalam script Vattezhuthu.

In true style of temples in the south, the mosque also has a pond. Then the minber, or the pulpit from where the Imam delivers sermons, has some intricate carvings and lacquer work, which is again unique to southern India.

The mosque also has a small museum. At the centre, inside a glass casing, is a miniature replica of the mosque as it stood around 350 years ago. There are also some other artefacts from the times gone by, such as the redstones that were used to as building material in sizes uncommon today, and an ancient sewage channel.

IANS
share current
images
and if u have a any documentary than plz share

I heard most Muslims in Kerala Follows Shafai School of thought which is what most Arab Muslim also do while in North India Hanafi School of Thought is followed. If this is true then this makes the Connection of Muslims of Kerala with Arabs more evident and visible and much older then Connection of Islam with Pakistan, North India and Bangladesh parts of South Asia. It is no big deal for having Hindus Participation in Muslim's Education related affairs because even in Pakistan many Christian Missionary Schools have way more Muslim Students then Christian Students in Pakistan. That doesnt mean they are all Agreed with Christian Faith Completely rather it is EDUCATION Institutions whos purpose are to provide Education rather then Anglicizing people same can be applied for Kerala Mosque as well and also for people like Azeem Premji and his Philanthropy for Promoting Education in India.
Mallus are in ME in huge numbers, I think what you are pointing towards is a more recent trend. People from Kerala can clarify it further.
@SrNair @Marxist @Koovie

Mallus are in ME in huge numbers, I think what you are pointing towards is a more recent trend. People from Kerala can clarify it further.
@SrNair @Marxist @Koovie
Kerala has Aprox 20% of Muslim Population and Aprox 15% Christian Followers. So it is quite Secular State of India it seems. BTW the recent trend of Mallus in Middle East is nothing to do with Anglicism either as they are there for Economic Reason rather then Religious reasons.

Kerala has Aprox 20% of Muslim Population and Aprox 15% Christian Followers. So it is quite Secular State of India it seems. BTW the recent trend of Mallus in Middle East is nothing to do with Anglicism either as they are there for Economic Reason rather then Religious reasons.
Secular percentage is far more than that, Hindus are now below 50% there. Beside that I gave my point of view, i might be wrong in it hence I tagged people who know more.

You are right..Kerala Muslims follow shafi school of thought...Kerala Muslims are much liberal than Urdu speaking Muslims.They are educated..not blinded by religion..they celebrate on am which is the biggest Hindu festival in Kerala.

You are right..Kerala Muslims follow shafi school of thought...Kerala Muslims are much liberal than Urdu speaking Muslims.They are educated..not blinded by religion..they celebrate on am which is the biggest Hindu festival in Kerala.
It seems Kerala based Muslims are Quite Urbanized Group of Muslims Populace in India because those Urdu Speaking Muslims From North have their Diaspora in Pakistani City of Karachi as well and they are Quite Liberal in comparison to their Indian Kins. Shafi School of thought also exist in Arab World in very high number and they are not even Close to say Liberal as they are Pioneers of Groups like Muslim Brotherhood in Arab World.

It seems Kerala based Muslims are Quite Urbanized Group of Muslims Populace in India because those Urdu Speaking Muslims From North have their Diaspora in Pakistani City of Karachi as well and they are Quite Liberal in comparison to their Indian Kins. Shafi School of thought also exist in Arab World in very high number and they are not even Close to say Liberal as they are Pioneers of Groups like Muslim Brotherhood in Arab World.
I am not implying they are liberal because they are shafis..it is more to do with native culture.

I am not implying they are liberal because they are shafis..it is more to do with native culture.
Neither I was Countering their Liberalism due to Shafi Beliefs. I was Implying that they might be most URBANIZED Muslim Populous of India which might be the real cause of their Liberalism.

Neither I was Countering their Liberalism due to Shafi Beliefs. I was Implying that they might be most URBANIZED Muslim Populous of India which might be the real cause of their Liberalism.
I don't think so...Muslim rule in Kerala was very limited and that too for a brief period...unlike in other regions the Muslims who ruled them were locals...Majority of Muslims in India are from urban areas but they are a bit conservative compared to Kerala Muslims..the reason I believe is many Urdu speaking Muslims were ruled by mughals,nizams and other governors who patronised mullahs and study of Islam...whereas in Kerala that wasn't the case..it is just like in Indonesia or Malaysia...but now a days as most keralites Muslims are working in gulf countries,they are trying to follow pure Islam which is bringing some clashes between Hindus and them.

I don't think so...Muslim rule in Kerala was very limited and that too for a brief period...unlike in other regions the Muslims who ruled them were locals...Majority of Muslims in India are from urban areas but they are a bit conservative compared to Kerala Muslims..the reason I believe is many Urdu speaking Muslims were ruled by mughals,nizams and other governors who patronised mullahs and study of Islam...whereas in Kerala that wasn't the case..it is just like in Indonesia or Malaysia...but now a days as most keralites Muslims are working in gulf countries,they are trying to follow pure Islam which is bringing some clashes between Hindus and them.

Urdu is spoken largely in those provinces where Khari Boli is spoken.

Dhakkni Urdu is mixed language . Bahmani Kingdoms and Mughals use to have farsi as the court language but Nizams adopted Urdu as state language

3568050253_8fa2b6368e_b.jpg

cheraman-juma-masjid-01.jpg

^^^The Mosque in 1905
The-Cheraman-Juma-Masjid.jpg

^^^The renovated Mosque

3568050253_8fa2b6368e_b.jpg

cheraman-juma-masjid-01.jpg

^^^The Mosque in 1905
The-Cheraman-Juma-Masjid.jpg

^^^The renovated Mosque

Last heard the renovated mosque will be reshaped to the original form which Malik Ibn Dinar build originally.

The place is near to where St Thomas landed in Kerala (muziris) and is near to the very famous temple of Kodungallur... the place truly represents the secular fabric of Kerala.

I have read about this mosque and its history, it sounds like the real deal. Islam that was spread by peaceful propagation is different to Islam spread by marauding hordes like Afghans, Turks or Mughals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom