What's new

This oversea Pakistani is tired of sending money to relatives

We as people cant do shit about this. We all know how Pakistan and people are being pushed into corner by few elites but their is nothing we can do about it.
I think as long as we live , we have to keep on sending money to Pakistan to help the friends and families ...

I been sending for over 25 years.
Makes their lives easy and 8 am happy for them.
Does not bother me financially.
As far as investment is concerned, I have started buying in Dubai and Morocco.
Can't trust current government of thieves.

Morocco is smart decision. It is an upcoming economy with full promise.

I'm sending money only to my uncle's widow due to my father's request. The rest of the family I've declined to send a single dollar as I or anybody have no obligation to support them. The issue I've seen is they become dependent on it and do nothing to help themselves.

Your parents help them but nothing of the sort should be done to support extended relatives, especially cousins.

You do not need to lose sleep over them.
Yes, only for those who are truly needy.
These could be family or even non relatives.
But it is a difficult choice. If u suspect ppl are just complacent then tell them off, but keep helping real needy ppl.
Allah shall increase and for all of us who do charity.

What should I do ?

• Block my relatives
  • Tell them go away
  • Tell them cut the electricity line

What is a diplomatic approach to tell folks stop asking me for money?

May be for the FAUJI well paid that is not issue but for most people it is
This oversea Pakistani is on verge of , telling his relatives in Pakistani bye bye

Tired of Cousins begging for money

How do I tell my cousins that the FAUJI has f over Pakistan and this is story of all Pakistani homes

If it's you immediate family then you should continue to support them, but heck I won't give a penny to my cousins or other relatives unless they really deserve (disabled, orphans, widows etc.).

Stop feeding them and tell them to get their arses to work. They are part of the reason Pakistan is in this mess today.

@AZADPAKISTAN2009

AP bhai,

Unless your relatives are really distressed- things like disease and disability or young kids with no adults to look after them- you shouldnt send them money. Believe me, you are doing more harm than good by supporting them.

Regards

What should I do ?

• Block my relatives
  • Tell them go away

This oversea Pakistani is on verge of , telling his relatives in Pakistani bye bye

How do I tell my cousins that the FAUJI has f over Pakistan and this is story of all Pakistani homes
Why are you supporting cousins? I mean tell them to get of their lazy *** and do something for a change.

A large portion of my own family and families I know have stopped sending money back altogether. It is only the elderly grandparents who have direct siblings or the like residing in Pak that still send money.

The age of remittances is coming to a close for Pakistan, the lifeline will soon wither away

What should I do ?

• Block my relatives
  • Tell them go away

My dad was in the same situation when he was working now his excuse is that he is retired and only gets his pension which does not leave enough disposable income to help relatives in Pakistan. So they started calling me and my brother, we started off by helping them but the begging bowl came around every month - to a point where we had to say no.

It turns out they were using all the money we were sending on fighting each other over land ownership in our village. Makes my blood boil when I think of what that money would be if I had invested it in SP or Stock&Shares.

Anyway we said to them that we will not be sending them any money, the females then pestered us with one excuse or another - on how living in Pakistan is expensive etc. We then decided to pay for their kids education, where ever they want to school their kids.

Me and my brother have paid for it for the last 10 years now only one is left and she is in university in Lahore going computer sciences, they have all started to live within their means now.

I would say help if you can but don't just send money without knowing where its going, if they are squandering it then its no use, its your money - you should get to squander it.

For me and my brother it was like investing in our family, most of the youngsters completed their degrees and went abroad so overall the families standard of living changed, they are self-sufficient - thankless; but at least educated to make sound choices.

Send the bare minimum. Remember in some instances you spoil your relatives by providing above and beyond their needs.

For Zakat, there are many people in need in your resident countries. Foremost on girl’s education.

So over time my contribution towards Pakistan is 0. Fortunately many overseas Pakistanis have seen through the scam of real estate in Pakistan. The times of free flow of Rs into real estate sector is gone. Now we’re seeing almost 0 appreciation in terms of Rs.

Last edited:
A large portion of my own family and families I know have stopped sending money back altogether. It is only the elderly grandparents who have direct siblings or the like residing in Pak that still send money.

The age of remittances is coming to a close for Pakistan, the lifeline will soon wither away

That's the thing about chain migration, as it erodes any direct link to the country over the decades. When I look at the trends over time, the only remittance will be GCC, but for how long? As the GCC develop into alternative economics by diversifying from fossil fuels, it will need to retain talent, and it's possible the specialized workers could be offered permanent residencies in their adopted countries. I will give you a hint Qatar introduced laws where now a Qatari mother married to a non-Qatari can pass on citizenship which wasn't the case before. What you will have are hybrid-like communities down the road. This, too, can kill off the remittance in the next couple of decades.

There is only so long you can live off remittance, and the country itself looks at remittance for propping its forex reserves as sheer stupidity.

What should I do ?

• Block my relatives
  • Tell them go away

You still have to , blood is thicker than everything .

Your lucky you escaped , you have same grandparents , remember horrors of partition .

Everything you own is your Grandfathers , your car , your home , your breakfast dinner & lunch is all because of he’s sacrifice .

I’m in same shoes

Its tough ...situation I did sent him funds but asked him what will you do next month and month after ?

Obviously the big General or FauJI Don't care they got 2-25 Crores in their Bank account
They don't even feel a pinch If bill goes up by 10,000 rupee

but the local folks working class do feel this pinch

And this is someone working in 9-5 working class role

What should I do ?

• Block my relatives
  • Tell them go away

If you don't want to send or unable to send then don't send.

Give a man a fish he'll eat for the day. Teach a man to fish he'll eat for a lifetime.

You've sent $ to relatives for years now and what did they do with it? Rather than investing into businesses or education they spent it on what?

Think if you instead invested that $ in Canada, how much assets would you have? Pakistanis talk about how 7% Roshan was paid, if you invested in the US S&P in August 2015, you'd be up 105% or 136% if you reinvested the dividends.

I've cut my family off other than a auntie who's a widow with children. No $ to zakat, qurbani, or education/health organizations it's not my problem if Pakistanis don't consider it their problem.

Back
Top Bottom