What's new

This time, even China couldn't save Pakistan. Not when it came to Saeed

Dillinger

Reaction score
Country
India
China has been instrumental in shielding Pakistan from the fallout of its misadventures. However, this time, even Beijing couldn't save Islamabad's bacon, not when it came to Hafiz Saeed and his "charities".

Pakistani President Mamnoon Hussain on Monday signed an ordinance aimed at cracking down on terrorist organisations and individuals, which have been banned by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC). The ordinance amends a section of the Anti-Terrorism Act (ATA), enabling the authorities to take action against UNSC-proscribed individuals and terrorist outfits such as sealing their offices and freezing their bank accounts.

The ordinance will reportedly lead to the proscription of Hafiz Saeed-linked Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) and Falah-e-Insaniat Foundation (FIF). However, the truth could be that Islamabad is facing a tough situation that its friend Beijing has been unable to bail it out of.

Read below why Pakistan finally bit down on the pill regarding Saeed and how China tried to save it from having to do so, only to come up short against Indian efforts at an international financial body.

Read the full report here

So, what made Islamabad take a decision that, as Pakistani newspaper Dawn describes, "would end a long-standing ambiguity over the status of Hafiz Saeed-linked JuD and FIF by firmly placing them on the list of proscribed groups"? It could be that a global financial watchdog, the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), might have finally compelled the powers that be in that country to take some action.

According to the Pakistani daily, analysts fear that the aforementioned international body could take punitive action against Pakistan if the country is found to be complicit in terror financing. According to the report, such an action could jack up the cost of doing international and domestic business.

Crucially, during the November FATF plenary, Pakistan found that its ally, China, was unable to shield it. According to an Economic Times report from November last year, despite China's opposition, FATF asked Pakistan to submit a compliance report on actions taken against terrorist groups by February 2018.

Tis' true. The idiot overplayed his hand and he'll pay the price now. Pakistan can't dodge the UN it is not possible.

Is it a bad thing though? For Pakistan in the long run?
Not really. He's been rotting away in a locked room anyway. It is his own fault, the state isn't responsible for his stupidity.

If anything a boon in disguise.
Time to trim the fat and unleverage your international liabilities.
Remove the obstacles that hold India back from talks, suddenly Pakistan becomes the rational one in the context.
I like it.
Just saying!

i think they will sacrifice this goat and crate one more . :lol:

Not really. He's been rotting away in a locked room anyway. It is his own fault, the state isn't responsible for his stupidity.
That is the point I was looking at. Essentially these pseudo religious feifdoms were becoming a headache and legacy of people like Gul&Durrani which we were stuck with.

The need for them was linked with the training and recruitment for Kashmir. That struggle has gone self sustaining thanks to the Indian government and people’s own belligerent attitude and stupidity and only needs basic financial assistance and the random AK thrown across. We no longer need to convince Kashmiris of the need for Jihad since the movement is now autonomous to a large degree.

The western front we’ve mostly washed our hands off from the snakes on that end and the Haqqanis and Taliban are self sustaining.. so why tolerate such menace to society types anyway who are more destructive than constructive?

That is the point I was looking at. Essentially these pseudo religious feifdoms were becoming a headache and legacy of people like Gul&Durrani which we were stuck with.

The need for them was linked with the training and recruitment for Kashmir. That struggle has gone self sustaining thanks to the Indian government and people’s own belligerent attitude and stupidity and only needs basic financial assistance and the random AK thrown across. We no longer need to convince Kashmiris of the need for Jihad since the movement is now autonomous to a large degree.

The western front we’ve mostly washed our hands off from the snakes on that end and the Haqqanis and Taliban are self sustaining.. so why tolerate such menace to society types anyway who are more destructive than constructive?
He became a problem for Pakistan moreso than anyone else. The guy was an alleged 26/11 perpetrator. The Pakistani courts tried to convict him with the shoddiest evidence given by the Indians in court history. The problem here wasn't him doing 26/11 it was the fact that Americans were killed too and the US doesn't tolerate that crap and instantly he was slapped by them through the UN. But giving him up without using backdoor diplomacy makes Pakistan look extremely bad but we dug our own hole. There was no avoiding this.

Well the way Western Governments operate is they gradually construct a case against a country , and ove ryears built it step by step

And future requests or threats against a state increase in frequency and DEMAND

From a Legal Prespective , the Local courts of Pakistan need to investigate charges first before any kind of assuptions are made on any Citizen of Pakistan

This agreement to bend down , will hurt us later when they will claim other "Make up stories and claim" the history of past behavior

Last edited:

How do you explain the government's capitulation over Faziabad dharna? It seems the only reason Pakistan moved against Hafiz Saeed and his organization was due strictly to international pressure. What about the rest of the pack?

How do you explain the government's capitulation over Faziabad dharna? It seems the only reason Pakistan moved against Hafiz Saeed and his organization was due strictly to international pressure. What about the rest of the pack?
Too much to handle in one go. These lizards are entrenched with the poor and lower middle classes (not unlike extremists anywhere else .. same in India) for whom its not just a way to vent frustrations but also a place to belong since they feel the rest of society has left them behind.

It will take a lot of slow changing by buying out or replacing key people in these organizations but at the end the only solution is alleviation of poverty. The same goes for India, and even in the US- wherever marginalization exists, there will be such organizations or emotions.

Indians are happy boss:)
If I was a hateful Indian, I would not be. People like Saeed may seem like a menace to India but they are ten times more a threat to Pakistani society.

Too much to handle in one go. These lizards are entrenched with the poor and lower middle classes (not unlike extremists anywhere else .. same in India) for whom its not just a way to vent frustrations but also a place to belong since they feel the rest of society has left them behind.

It will take a lot of slow changing by buying out or replacing key people in these organizations but at the end the only solution is alleviation of poverty. The same goes for India, and even in the US- wherever marginalization exists, there will be such organizations or emotions.

If I was a hateful Indian, I would not be. People like Saeed may seem like a menace to India but they are ten times more a threat to Pakistani society.

No sir it is not right. My sister is a doctor and my ziza is they both are investing their time to eradicate polio. My mother when she was a chairman in the 80s of woman commission I have seen how boxes will come to kids and how she will give me the responsibility to spread it to women who had their men working in the fields.

That was the 90. And people who grew out of that call are still doing that job. Taking care of new borns and handling bigger responsibilities.

I can proudly say that hepatitis b is out my village.

We are weak but we have some resolve.

Back
Top Bottom