What's new

Time for Jr TT to Shine

Xeric

RETIRED THINK TANK
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
i think PM option is disabled to certain members so i would post my PM to them here:

Hello guys!

i have been thinking lately to start certain topics on PDF, which concerns our countries but whenever discussed, they always turn into a rout due to unavoidable trolling from both sides.

So now what we want is to discuss the same but without unnecessary interference. Also, there was a need to make PDF more worthy in terms of credibility and turn it into a knowledge base of some kind, and hence i invite you guys to participate into certain threads that would be opened here.

As PDF is a defence forum so i would like that the topics should be free from politics or social issues of our countries and concentrate upon the military aspects/side, and therefore the topics can be anything from 1965 war to '71 war, WW1/2, military history, military personalities and their contribution to war etc etc. For example, if we choose 71 or 65 war, the emphasis should be on battle accounts of our wars - your stories and ours without getting into a dick measuring contest.

If you decide to join in, we can agree on our first topic and i would open up the thread for it. Please let me know what do you think.

Excellent suggestion. It would liven up Seniors cafe as well with some knowledgeable material. (it seems like a retirement home!!!).

My suggestion would be to first give a little intro threads about some famous strategists, generals and military personalities, like Clausewitz, Napoleon, Hitler, The Muslim Mughals, Mongols (Genghis Khan), Islamic Generals, etc etc.

Then there should be some periods. For example, for a month or half a month, there would be threads about Napoleonic wars, then the major Muslim conquests in the next month, then Mongols after that, Mughals, Crusades, and so on until we reach the modern era. While still in that specific theme period, we could also explore on the strategies of the Generals and their personalities as well as the battles and wars themselves.

It would need some effort, but there has to be a start somewhere.

Or do you want it to remain Pakistan specific?:what:

Nuclearpak has presented a unique discussion timeline. We can progress from the earliest to latest strategists and how they affected the future strategists and how refinement was done to the old strategies due to change of circumstances and time.

Excellent suggestion. It would liven up Seniors cafe as well with some knowledgeable material. (it seems like a retirement home!!!).

My suggestion would be to first give a little intro threads about some famous strategists, generals and military personalities, like Clausewitz, Napoleon, Hitler, The Muslim Mughals, Mongols (Genghis Khan), Islamic Generals, etc etc.

Then there should be some periods. For example, for a month or half a month, there would be threads about Napoleonic wars, then the major Muslim conquests in the next month, then Mongols after that, Mughals, Crusades, and so on until we reach the modern era. While still in that specific theme period, we could also explore on the strategies of the Generals and their personalities as well as the battles and wars themselves.

It would need some effort, but there has to be a start somewhere.

Nice suggestion.

i too am fascinated with history. We can always discuss war captains like those that you have mentioned. The course of action that i suggest is that when we open up a thread, the OP should tell us what exactly he wants to discuss/which aspect of the topic he would like the discussion to revolve, and there on we can add to it.

Also, instead of opening up many topics we can open up one or may be two so that concentration remains undivided as these threads would not be just any other off the shelf thread where one would post anything as he/she scrolls through it.

If you guys wants to discuss military history especially the war captains, then we can start off with anything from origin of modern warfare and contribution of these captains to impact of a particular personality on the conduct of war etc etc.

Good idea -- please start with some old wars of mutual interest -- build a tempo a tradition before venturing into the 65-71 wars

Nice suggestion.

i too am fascinated with history. We can always discuss war captains like those that you have mentioned. The course of action that i suggest is that when we open up a thread, the OP should tell us what exactly he wants to discuss/which aspect of the topic he would like the discussion to revolve, and there on we can add to it.

Also, instead of opening up many topics we can open up one or may be two so that concentration remains undivided as these threads would not be just any other off the shelf thread where one would post anything as he/she scrolls through it.

If you guys wants to discuss military history especially the war captains, then we can start off with anything from origin of modern warfare and contribution of these captains to impact of a particular personality on the conduct of war etc etc.

IMO, there should be a general thread rather than OP specific, in which everything about war, past and present gets discussed, Strategies, outcomes, personalities etc etc. And then the theme idea I proposed can also be implemented.

We can give a little prelude about war and it's objectives, major conquests, influential folks etc etc. Then give a little info about Liddle Hart, Clausewitz and the likes, and then start from the beginning and gradually build up.

IMO, there should be a general thread rather than OP specific, in which everything about war, past and present gets discussed, Strategies, outcomes, personalities etc etc. And then the theme idea I proposed can also be implemented.

We can give a little prelude about war and it's objectives, major conquests, influential folks etc etc. Then give a little info about Liddle Hart, Clausewitz and the likes, and then start from the beginning and gradually build up.

There will be many threads on different topics. i mean, if someone wants to discuss Napoleonic Warfare (NW), well go ahead, open up a thread, give a prelude and tell us what aspect of NW you want members to discuss and thereon we can start off.

Same goes for wars and RMA topics.

As i can see a bias towards military history, how about i open up a topic regarding "Why do we need to study Military (MH) History/What relevance does MH bears with the teachings of Modern Warfare"?

There will be many threads on different topics. i mean, if someone wants to discuss Napoleonic Warfare (NW), well go ahead, open up a thread, give a prelude and tell us what aspect of NW you want members to discuss and thereon we can start off.

Same goes for wars and RMA topics.

As i can see a bias towards military history, how about i open up a topic regarding "Why do we need to study Military (MH) History/What relevance does MH bears with the teachings of Modern Warfare"?

My idea with having a specific theme was that this way we would have more posters posting about the same topic, rather than different things being discussed, this would also help a little in organization of the material, and better quality.

You, Icarus, Fatman can start off and we all will chip in.

Please, please, PLEASE start this. Get us away from these damn' social themes which infest the forum, and back where we should be.

I am out of town until the 25th, guys. I know you are going to start something good and wholesome without me, and I'm sitting here, in front of my iPad, blubbing away.

Back
Top Bottom