What's new

To Talk or not to Talk[ Gen Tariq's take on Niazi's talks with terrorists]

For the past several months, I have been asking on PDF how does Pakistan/Pakistanis view the end of TTP. Publicly, civilian and military officials haven't said much. Lt. Gen Tariq (R) has at least put forth his thoughts and two of suggestions are perhaps the most important.

1. This led to usurpation of the tribes by people who hi-jacked tribal life and living. They coerced people and forced young men to join their ranks at gun point. There were kidnappings and murders. The TTP has a lot to answer to their own respective tribes. No one else can settle this and if anyone does, it will lead to an alienated tribal society that will always be in search of justice. It would lead to feuds and wars amongst tribes for years to come. It is thus suggested, humbly, please let the tribes handle this and the Government should only facilitate the process. The TTP who are willing to give up their old ways, need to appear before their respective tribal jirgas who should decide what should be done with them. No one else can reconcile on the behalf of the tribes.​

2. Let the defeated TTP make public statements acknowledging the wrong they have done and apologize to the tribes and the people of Pakistan before the Government needs to do anything at all. I know there are some who feel this may stop bloodshed, but please take it from someone who has been in it and knows, it will probably lead to far more violence and bloodshed than one can even contemplate. History remains a testimonial record of how such things eventually unfold. We have been down this road before many a times. Remember, repeating the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result is a sign of insanity, Einstein.​

This is essentially a form of reconciliation. I agree that peace must go hand in hand with reconciliation. This was overlooked and we all paid a price. Without reconciliation, tribes will not see closure and it could lead to tribal feuds in which case only Pakistan will suffer.

Back
Top Bottom