What's new

Top 10 (or 15) most scientifically advanced countries in world today

bd_wonder

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Let's keep our nationalistic biases or currying-favours-to-colonial-masters biases out of this thread.

Kindly rank in your opinion which are the top ten or top fifteen (whichever you like) scientifically advanced countries in world TODAY/NOW.

Kindly state your reasons for the ranks too. Also plz let's not just paste a copy of the highest expenditures on r&d, or the highest number of patents or highest number of papers in scientific journals.

Let's TRY to assess the quality and the impact of the scientific works done or breakthroughs IF ANY by these nations that you mention.

Frankly i wont put up my own ranking as i find this a hard job.
Let's get the ball rolling fellas.

I wont put up a ranking right now, i'll have to see other forumers' inputs on this.

1. Japan - Develops a lot of new technology/gadgets
2. USA - Has a lot of Scientific Universities/ Leads in Space race
3. South Korea - Leads in cloning/ stem cell research
4. England - Lots of scientists
5. China - They seem to be catching up
6. Australia - Medical Rasearch
7. Italy - Medical and Space research

1. USA - In nearlly all fields
2. Japan - In Electrical and Electronics fields
3. Germany - Industrial and Surgical and Medical Fields
4. England - Industrial, Research and Developement in all fields
5. France - Industrial and Nuclear research
6. Italy - In automation and Industrial fields
7. Russia - In Electrical and Mechanical Industrial fields, Aerodynamics
8. Sweden - In Industrial and Military research fields
9. China - In all Fields R&D is going on
10. Australia - In Industrial fields and Medical,surgical fields

1. USA - nearly all fields
2. Japan - Electronics and materials
3. Germann - precise instrument
4. France - energy science and application, aviation, high-speed railway
5. England - Medical and bioscience
6. Sweden - bioscience, energy and EST(Environmentally-sound technology)
7. Russia - Mechanical Industrial and space technology
8. Israel - life sciences and agricultural technique
9. China - catching up in nearly all fields,yet still gaps ahead.

1. USA - World Leader in Sci-Tech.
2. Japan - Electronics Leader, Gundam's.
3. Germany - Engineering is top
4. South Korea - Biotech.
5. France - energy.
6. China - Catching up fast in all fields.
7. Israel - soil science.
8. Russia - Weapons Tech.
9. Australia - medical science.

in-cites - The 20 Most-Cited Countries in the field of Multidisciplinary, 1997-2007

Below is a listing of the top 20 countries which, as of the latest bimonthly update of Essential Science Indicators, attracted the highest total citations to their papers published in the Multidisciplinary field of Thomson Scientific-indexed journals over the last 10 years (1997-February 28, 2007). These countries are the top 20 out of a pool of 70 countries comprising the top 50% ranked by total citation count in this field.

RANK COUNTRY CITATIONS PAPERS CITATIONS PER PAPER
1 USA 47,879 5,043 9.49
2 ENGLAND 5,716 1,163 4.91
3 JAPAN 5,397 477 11.31
4 FRANCE 4,427 759 5.83
5 GERMANY 4,341 655 6.63
6 CHINA 2,810 1,662 1.69
7 CANADA 2,564 399 6.43
8 SWITZERLAND 2,524 162 15.58
9 INDIA 2,451 1,993 1.23
10 ITALY 2,007 311 6.45

RANK COUNTRY CITATIONS PAPERS CITATIONS PER PAPER
1 USA 47,879 5,043 9.49
2 ENGLAND 5,716 1,163 4.91
3 JAPAN 5,397 477 11.31
4 FRANCE 4,427 759 5.83
5 GERMANY 4,341 655 6.63
6 CHINA 2,810 1,662 1.69
7 CANADA 2,564 399 6.43
8 SWITZERLAND 2,524 162 15.58
9 INDIA 2,451 1,993 1.23
10 ITALY 2,007 311 6.45

I was taking account of paper citations when giving my list. Chinese researchers often talk about the top 5 countries of paper citation as their targets to catch up with. anyway England doesn't seem to convince me where they rank, correct me if wrong, they can't even predominate in the airbus project.

thx for your replies.
although my opinions may differ i dont mind hearing yours.

i'd like you to give reasons for your choices too (like why you think they lead in fields listed). also no citations c***, i can write ad infinitum on why such inane measures dont tell you anything.

I was taking account of paper citations when giving my list. Chinese researchers often talk about the top 5 countries of paper citation as their targets to catch up with. anyway England doesn't seem to convince me where they rank, correct me if wrong, they can't even predominate in the airbus project.

Dear Lin,
You cant judge the over all growth by looking into one or two projects , you have to agree that as a country they are much ahead of China and India or any other European country . they have the best education institution .

hx for your replies.
although my opinions may differ i dont mind hearing yours.

i'd like you to give reasons for your choices too (like why you think they lead in fields listed). also no citations c***, i can write ad infinitum on why such inane measures dont tell you anything.

Inane Measures ?

Essential Science Indicators (ESI) is a resource that enables researchers to conduct ongoing, quantitative analyses of research performance and track trends in science. Covering a multidisciplinary selection of 11,000+journals from around the world, this in-depth analytical tool offers data for ranking scientists, institutions, countries, and journals.

This unique and comprehensive compilation of science performance statistics and science trends data is based on journal article publication counts and citation data from Thomson Scientific databases. Available as a ten-year rolling file, ESI covers 10 million articles in 22 specific fields of research, and is updated every two months.

Your individual perception is not accepted anywhere .

I probably wouldn't say that citation is totally an inane measure, I'd like however to point out that citation is only a part of potential/strength: stuffs on the paper are not neccessarily stuffs in reality/in use, at least not yet.

Dear Gpit
Most of the scientific reserch is on the fundamental science , which is of no use directly , but it adds to the total scientific growth

And if the Talk about the Top 3

USA In all fields
Japan Electical , Electronics
Germany Industrial Mechnical

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom