What's new

Top Countries By Science And Technology?

I am always suspicious about comparing the number of research papers because there is so much variation in the quality and content. Few people would argue that papers about the mating habits of tree frogs are comparable to those about relativity or quantum physics.

Even patents are misleading. The US patent office has become a joke for the types of patents they grant.

Having said that, there is no doubt that the US leads the world by a large margin in basic research and technological breakthroughs. After that, it becomes complicated and the rankings are all up for grabs.

True that, not to mention the recent Apple's ridiculous patents and the Samsung vs Apple vs VIA court cases....

In terms of over all inventions, scientific, technological and engineering capabilities.....

1) US (way ahead of others)
2) Germany
3) Japan
4) UK
5) France

In scientific journal ranking ,citations matters than no. journals china is around 6 ,so it can't be 2nd .
Patent thing ??? nowadays is not worthwhile unless if ur product/discovery get attention.

patents and citations are different things``citation has more to do with academic or theoratical science research, and patent is more to do with invention or improvment on existing problem solving methods, capital and commercial products and equipments.

the 2nd on Patent and 6th on paper citation matches well on China's huge investment on R&D on consumer products and capital equipments. also Chinese universities and academic instidutions playing less role compared to those in United States and Japan, most of the improvements are contributed by private and ownership businesses.

for example a Chinese private firm Huawei produces around 2000 patents per year.

patents and citations are different things``citation has more to do with academic or theoratical science research, and patent is more to do with invention or improvment on existing problem solving methods, capital and commercial products and equipments.

the 2nd on Patent and 6th on paper citation matches well on China's huge investment on R&D on consumer products and capital equipments. also Chinese universities and academic instidutions playing less role compared to those in United States and Japan, most of the improvements are contributed by private and ownership businesses.

for example a Chinese private firm Huawei produces around 2000 patents per year.

I knw difference between citations and patents very well than u for sure. once again read my post, U TOLD some company getting patents 2000 per year ,it clearly showed that u r damn stupid . see the time factor for getting patents and then talk for one patent it take minimum 3 years. And then u try to say 2000 invention/discoveries/innovations per year. ok even its true that company having demand for the patented products? if yes show provide proof .Generally among all patents 1 in 10000 having demand in markets. Majority of patents are useless somebody used to say it will be useful in future for somebody.

In addition citation is not only based on theoretical science but also experimental (majority).Proof see journals like SCIENCE,CELL,PNAS,PLOS,NATURE. Suppose somebody publish research article in gud journal if there is no citation for the paper for so long wat is the use of that paper. Even noble prize is based on novelty of work and hw that work framed a basics/foundation for new arena of research and its emerging dimensions.

I knw difference between citations and patents very well than u for sure. once again read my post, U TOLD some company getting patents 2000 per year ,it clearly showed that u r damn stupid . see the time factor for getting patents and then talk for one patent it take minimum 3 years. And then u try to say 2000 invention/discoveries/innovations per year. ok even its true that company having demand for the patented products? if yes show provide proof .Generally among all patents 1 in 10000 having demand in markets. Majority are useless somebody used to say it will be useful in future for somebody.

then you need a lot of homeworks to catch up boy, check all the PDF files from WIPO and PCT from 2001 to 2011, and the links post by Syama Ayas about patent things is only up to 2006, the rest is up to 2009 and 2010. If you think the figures are not correct you better put your 'expertise' on sience and patent things on table.

and due to your sheer ignorance you dont know some companies actually getting 1000+ patents per year?
As at 31 December 2010, Huawei had accumulatively filed 49,040 patent applications i.e. 31,869 patent applications in China, 8,892 international patent applications under the Patent Cooperation Treaty, and 8,279 overseas patent applications. Of the 17,765 authorized patents granted, 3,060 were overseas patents. In addition, Huawei holds a leading position in terms of essential LTE patent applications.
http://www.huawei.com/en/about-huawei/corporate-info/research-development/index.htm
Huawei is only 22 years old, and only started using PCT like a decade ago....

true not all patents going into commercial production but it shows the innovation capability of a certain company or country. and also as some Huawei employees told me here in the U.K that they dont patent everything which shows how much Huawei can pull in terms of innovation.

then you need a lot of homeworks to catch up boy, check all the PDF files from WIPO and PCT from 2001 to 2011, and the links post by Syama Ayas about patent things is only up to 2006, the rest is up to 2009 and 2010. If you think the figures are not correct you better put your 'expertise' on sience and patent things on table.

and due to your sheer ignorance you dont know some companies actually getting 1000+ patents per year?
Global - Huawei - Research & Development
Huawei is only 22 years old, and only started using PCT like a decade ago....

true not all patents going into commercial production but it shows the innovation capability of a certain company or country. and also as some Huawei employees told me here in the U.K that they dont patent everything which shows how much Huawei can pull in terms of innovation.

I think u knw hw read english. Huawei 22 old year company ryt but it has only 3060 overseas patents(or international patent That is accountable). Read u post again they got 3060 after 22 yrs but u told 2000/per year.who is ignorant? try to grow up

I think u knw hw read english. Huawei 22 old year company ryt but it has only 3060 overseas patents(or international patent That is accountable). Read u post again they got 3060 after 22 yrs but u told 2000/per year.who is ignorant? try to grow up

lol with my expectation, you resumed in to talking your ar$e out of your ignorance..you faild to comprehend the reality that there are some companies in the world actually produce massive patents 1000+ per year which is more than your entire country can do in a year. I guess you refuse to do a bit researches on WIPOs, PCT and Thomsons Reuters Patent annual report to find out reality but continue to spread your half-known knowledge.

for your own sake, study papers from 2001-2010 from WIPO, PCT and Thomson Reuters first then comment..you need to pay for the Thomson Reuters' annual reports but the rests are free

Common Top 3

US
Japan
Germany

4th to 7th

France
South Korea
Uk
Russia

The usual, USA, Japan, Europe, China, SK.

china???

why everyone is forgetting Germany and France, french have very good space, military, aviation, train, nuclear technologies and Germans are known for their excellence in Sci tech HDW, Bosch, BMW, mercedes-benz, Volkswagen, Siemens etc. etc. :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom