What's new

Turkey nixes Israel’s ‘US-like regret’ offer

Saithan

Reaction score
Turkey has said it will not accept anything less than an official apology before it mends ties with Israel, dismissing Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman’s suggestion of issuing a text similar to what America released in their row with Pakistan, which contained words of regret and apology.

“Israelis know what our demands are. These include an official apology and compensation. We will accept nothing less than this,” a diplomatic source told the Hürriyet Daily News yesterday. “Israel’s attack on a civilian boat in international waters, which killed nine civilians, and the American’s killing of 24 Pakistani soldiers are not comparable. Accepting an American version of an apology is out of the question,” the source told the Daily News.

The Israeli press reported Lieberman as having said Israel could go ahead and issue a text similar to that of the Americans and express its regret over the loss of Turkish citizens as a result of an Israeli commandos attack on the Mavi Marmara vessel in 2010. “The only possibility is an American version. Not one word more,” Lieberman was quoted as saying. “If Turks accept the American version then I’ll go for it.” Lieberman spoke in Hebrew and different translations of his speech have been reported in various English-language media outlets.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton issued a statement July 3 after she spoke with Pakistani Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani by telephone about American troops’ mistakenly killing 24 Pakistani soldiers, an event which further strained relations between the two countries. “I once again reiterated our deepest regrets for the tragic incident in Slala last November,” her statement read. “We are sorry for the losses suffered by the Pakistani military.”

It was Liebermann who first compared the two issues last November while defending his government’s strict position on not apologizing to Turkey given the fact that Washington did not intend to apologize to Pakistan. But Clinton’s statement put Liebermann in a difficult situation and pushed him to make this suggestion to Turkey. Turkish diplomats did not deny efforts by third parties to formulate a way to normalize ties, but said there was no need for mediation by outside parties as there were already functioning channels between Ankara and Tel Aviv. Dismissing claims that Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) chief David Petraeus’ trip to Turkey and Israel was a mediation effort, a source said the ball was still in Israel’s court.

source:MIDEAST - Turkey nixes Israel

My comment to the above is that. Israel should remember that the US is the only super power in the world and Pakistan receives cash from the US, so in a way there is very limited option for how the US can apologise. Israel should not compare itself with the US.

Again with this? it seems like Turks are desperate to "normalize" the relationship, all these repeating demands tend to sound like begging.

Why are you ignoring what your Liebermann said and only looking at the Turkish reply ?

It really doesn't reflect well on your personality.

hurriyetdailynews putting words into Liberman mouth, i dont recall him talking on this issue.

“Israelis know what our demands are. These include an official apology and compensation. We will accept nothing less than this”

The problem is that it is Turkey that is at fault here, not Israel. Turkey searches in vain to a legal claim against Israel regarding the Marvi Mamara affair and has none; Israel can claim criminal conduct on the part of the ship passengers and captain and deception from Mr. Erdogan.

Not only is a diplomatic offensive along these lines more proper than arguing over an Israeli capitulation it is probably more healthy as well for Turkey's politics. Why should Turks be swept into supporting criminality?

“Israelis know what our demands are. These include an official apology and compensation. We will accept nothing less than this”

The problem is that it is Turkey that is at fault here, not Israel. Turkey searches in vain to a legal claim against Israel regarding the Marvi Mamara affair and has none; Israel can claim criminal conduct on the part of the ship passengers and captain and deception from Mr. Erdogan.

Not only is a diplomatic offensive along these lines more proper than arguing over an Israeli capitulation it is probably more healthy as well for Turkey's politics. Why should Turks be swept into supporting criminality?
The problem is that it is Israel that is at fault here, not Turkey. I'm sorry Solomon, we're not committed to Israel like your political parties. Look what happened yesterday :)

Check this one out too, see the reaction of Jon Stewart Hope and Change 2 - Democratic Platform Amendments

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that it is Israel that is at fault here, not Turkey.
The problem Turkey's diplomats and politicians have to answer is in what way Israel is at fault. They can only sputter that Turkish citizens died. That this happened as a result of their resistance to Israel's perfectly lawful boarding activity isn't something they care to admit to their own citizens. That's why Israel needs to speak up and point such things out.

You are completely insane.

Israel attacked the boat in international waters. Turkey has every right to demand a formal apology. And it must not normalize relationship without that. This is least of the demands.

I would challenge you what Israel would have done if Turkey had attacked its ship.

In your logic, Israel has every right to evict and then incarcerate people in their own country, it has all the political backing to do whatever it likes in its neighborhood and when well intentioned mission reaches out to help the people in jail in their own country, Israel has every right to attack the ship, kill a few people and not even bother to apologize!!

In this logic of Zionism which is unique its own way, Israel has every right to exist because Israelis have gone through worst atrocities in Europe. But there is no empathy for the people whose lands these Zionists occupied and then evicted them out of their own country to build their settlements.

The problem Turkey's diplomats and politicians have to answer is in what way Israel is at fault. They can only sputter that Turkish citizens died. That this happened as a result of their resistance to Israel's perfectly lawful boarding activity isn't something they care to admit to their own citizens. That's why Israel needs to speak up and point such things out.
This topic has been discussed numerous times here. Turkish politicians doesn't have to answer to anything, but they explained how this is Israel's fault. US was the only country that blocked condemnation of Israel at UNSC, but could not do anything when this issue came to GA and HRC, as US doesn't have a vote power in those platforms.

This topic has been discussed numerous times here. Turkish politicians doesn't have to answer to anything, but they explained how this is Israel's fault.
Why don't you try repeating the explanation here?

US was the only country that blocked condemnation of Israel at UNSC, but could not do anything when this issue came to GA and HRC, as US doesn't have a vote power in those platforms.
The condemn-Israel crowd must resort to the "justice is a popularity contest" mindset that condemns villages, cities, countries, and continents to murderous anarchy. It can't be contained to Jew-hatred; that's what the world is witnessing now. That's why Turkey is best off reversing course and going back to supporting Israel - apologizing for its recent behavior and even prosecuting the Turks really responsible for creating the MM incident.

The condemn-Israel crowd must resort to the "justice is a popularity contest" mindset that condemns villages, cities, countries, and continents to murderous anarchy. It can't be contained to Jew-hatred; that's what the world is witnessing now. That's why Turkey is best off reversing course and going back to supporting Israel - apologizing for its recent behavior and even prosecuting the Turks really responsible for creating the MM incident.

Google or Bing, use which one of it you like.

It can't be contained to Jew-hatred
Oh, good old "you're anti-semite!" blunder. Job well done sir.

That's why Turkey is best off reversing course and going back to supporting Israel
Nope, nothing indicates that whatsoever.

apologizing for its recent behavior
Say what now? Apologized where? When? How? What does the "recent behavior" mean?

even prosecuting the Turks really responsible for creating the MM incident.
Woot. First time I hear about this. Oh wait, I kind of remember this. "prosecution" news story came out at ynetnews, which later on turned out to be complete fallacy.

^^^^^

This sort of sputtering, non-cogent response is what I'm talking about. You had to avoid facts, suspend logical thinking, and give up seeking justice in order to satisfy your tribe-oriented pride. Keep this up a generation or so and Turkey will be the scene of yet another civil war in the region, yes?

^^^^^

This sort of sputtering, non-cogent response is what I'm talking about. You had to avoid facts, suspend logical thinking, and give up seeking justice in order to satisfy your tribe-oriented pride. Keep this up a generation or so and Turkey will be the scene of yet another civil war in the region, yes?
I'm not the one who asks a forum member to give explanations of Turkish government. You can easily search the content you seek in Google, and not bother people with asking it. I'm not the one avoid the facts, I know what the facts are. Although, I can't say the same thing for you, since you're either clueless about this affair and just came here to post to showcase your pro-Israel stance, or you deliberately distort the facts and make up weird scenarios that fit to your ideological thinking about the region.

Israel attacked the boat in international waters -
Your facts are incorrect.

Turkey has every right to demand a formal apology.
Anyone can make a demand. However, Turkey has no legal or moral rights to base it on.

In your logic, Israel has every right to evict and then incarcerate people in their own country -
Since your perception of the facts is incorrect your description of my logic is, too.

In this logic of Zionism which is unique its own way, Israel has every right to exist because Israelis have gone through worst atrocities in Europe.
Jews have a 3,000 year history with the Holy Land and many other countries (like Pakistan) have shown they cannot abide a Jewish population without unjust, exploitative, and cruel treatment. You don't need to invoke the Holocaust specifically to understand that on human rights grounds Israel has every right to exist - and indeed, the League of Nations designated, in its Mandate for Palestine, the encouragement of "close settlement" of the land by Jews, long before the Holocaust occurred.

But there is no empathy for the people whose lands these Zionists occupied and then evicted them out of their own country to build their settlements.
No empathy or too much? You've never considered that question, have you?

You are completely insane.
Airmashal, you're a citizen of a nation that recklessly sells nuclear weapons capability where it can and chooses to side with forces that seek to exterminate millions of people world-wide for the sake of gaining power. If I'm "completely insane" isn't that far preferable to being on the side of genocidal maniacs?

what an important thread :disagree: '' again jews and palestine ? '' existantial for the human race... dont get me wrong but people are realy bored from hearing this rhethoric about their mutual suffering ... or anything about jews and palestinians ... sory but they dont desreve that much attention

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom