What's new

Turkish Parliament Passes Motion on Military Deployment to Libya

I don't know the story behind but from what I have read (in Western media obviously) is this is a move by Erdogan to take the attention away from domestic issues. Thats pathetic if true.

I personally don't see a need of Turkish soldiers being in Libya, doesn't matter how much it pleases me to see our Turkish brothers strong (and rich) enough to deploy troops in another country. To me it looks like total waste of money and God forbid, lives.

I dont think so, Turkey economy is not really good now, if he care his power more than anything else, he will not go to war to Libya. I think as a leader of a powerful country he thinks he has some kind of responsibility to solve Middle East problem. This move will also give more chance for political settlement since Haftar got the upper hand so far. There will be no deal since he is likely to win the war in the long term. Turkish intervention change that balance. Similar condition happen in Syria where political deal is pursuit when two side have similar parity militarily.

You also should see the psychology of Libyan people who doesnt want to be ruled by any authoritarian ruler any more. This tendency toward democracy is actually resonated among Arab populace since Arab spring movement. As Indonesian who have experience living under a dictatorship we also understand the situation in Libya. Giving the chance for Haftar to rule Libya is similar like stabbing any Libyan who have sacrificed to fight Khadafi during Libyan revolution period.

Priority should be to gain air superiority and build up airdefense systems we don't need ground troops.
That true, I do not believe that Mehmetcik will take part as a combatant in ground. Also Libyan government does not have such a demand. This motion mostly covering the subjects of training and equipping military elements.

Let me remind you of the realities of the field. The presence of the Turkish soldier will not be enough to scare them. Now the soldier has to take off his uniform. Thus, continuing the implicit operations will not incur diplomatic costs. These are the reality of the implicit operation.
The Russians did not send troops directly when the events in Ukraine began. The soldier took off his uniform. And the Russians divided Ukraine. They called it hybrid war.
The Russians have denied this when the US and others said that the Russian troops are in conflict in Ukraine.
The cost of unofficial operations is that the martyr's funeral is not accompanied by journalists. The funeral is accompanied by family and state officials. You don't see 5-10 thousand people gathering in the square.

ENW5dryX0AEnBra

Preparations for amphibious operations by the Turkish troops in Libya continue.
When you look at this picture, does it give the impression that the Turkish soldier will not engage in any conflict in Libya?

Turkey has 24 HAWK XXI Air Defense Systems with 175 missiles

-- MPQ-64 Sentinel 3D Radar
-- TV/IR Optic Systems
-- Max range of 40 km
-- Max altitude of 20 km
-- Speed of Mach 3

67813_2-jpg.198851

-- STINGER MANPADS
-- Anti Tank Missiles
-- T-155 Howitzers
-- T-122 MLRS

-- UCAVs
-- LASER Weapons

2 GABYA class Frigates armed with 72x SM-1MR and 64x ESSM air defense missiles
also extra Naval Force will be in Libya

of course Turkish Airforce

Last edited:
I hope Turkiye will send our national air defence systems to Libya. It's perfect for our systems to mature in real time war...

I think second important systems are our drones and UAV's. I wanna see our kamikaze drones in action.

Gazanız mübarek olsun.

5549771C-F626-4C8F-BCA2-750479742067.jpeg
https://t.co/UMNRRATJGs?amp=1
1 AWACS
6 or 8 F-16
A frigate and 2 or 3 warships
1 or 2 submarine
3000 soldiers
Pretty much enough for destroying juffra airbase(pantsir anti aircraft as well as drones are stationed here) and taking over tarhouna(very significant for logistics and supply)
Even if only one of these critically important assets is overtaken/destroyed it would mean an end for haftar

Parliament Passes Motion on Military Deployment to Libya

İstanbul - BIA News Desk - 02 January 2020

9NAp2EZ.jpg

* Photo: Mehmet Ali Özcan / Anadolu Agency

Chaired by Parliamentary Speaker Mustafa Şentop, the General Assembly of the Parliament convened today (January 2) in an emergency meeting to debate the motion foreseeing military deployment to Libya.
Accordingly, the representatives of political parties expressed their opinions about the motion in 20 minutes each.
Following the statements of the party representatives, the MPs have voted the motion. Accordingly, the motion authorizing the government to send soldiers to Libya has been approved by the General Assembly of the Parliament by a vote of 325 against 184.

HDP's Hatimoğulları: Turkey has broken the embargo

Speaking on behalf of the HDP group, Tülay Hatimoğulları said, "We say a very clear 'No' to this motion. Because this motion means that the failure of the government in foreign affair and its precious loneliness have been confirmed once again. It is the epitome of expansionist politics. It is also called occupation in international literature.
"There has long been an arms embargo of the UN Security Council against both sides in Libya. Who broke this embargo for the first time? Turkey. We know that Turkey has been providing the pro-ikhwan Trablus government with all types of support for years. Deployment of Turkey's poor children will pave the way for their bloodshed in those deserts."

İYİ Party: Our soldiers made a party to a civil war

Speaking on behalf of the İYİ Party, İzmir MP Aytun Çıray also said, "Our soldiers might be pulled into an internal conflict, like the one in Vietnam. We cannot leave our soldiers in the ambivalent firing line of a civil war that has nothing to do with our national security.
"Our soldiers are made a party to a civil war. Why don't Libya's neighboring countries Tunisia, Algeria and Egypt facing national security threat send soldiers?"

MHP: Gains will be protected

Speaking on behalf of the MHP, Group Deputy Chair Erkan Akçay briefly said, "With this motion, we are protecting our blue homeland in the Mediterranean, preventing the usurpation of our rights and contributing to the stability of sister country Libya and regional peace. The reality achieved on the table will be reinforced in the field with this motion.
"With the approval of the motion, the critical gains achieved by the memorandum of understanding with Libya will be protected; relations with Libya, which has a critical importance for Turkey, will be improved; our activity will increase in Libya and Africa, where several actors, including the EU, are trying to be active; Turkey will have the upper hand on the countries undertaking activities against Turkey due to its existence and policies in East Mediterranean and Syria; and the struggle will take a new turn. [Turkey] will have the opportunity to be stationed in a central position in the Mediterranean and can have more initiative in pursuing a policy of surrounding against Greece."

CHP, HDP, İYİ Party and TİP against the motion
With its 290 and 49 MPs respectively, the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) and allying Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) support the motion. Main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP), Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP), Workers' Party of Turkey (TİP) and İYİ Party announced that they would vote against it.
The Felicity Party (SP), which has two MPs in the Parliament, also released a statement about the motion and briefly said:
"If the process is properly set up, the existence of our soldiers there will be, in itself, able to prevent several wrong steps. Turkey should open the ways of diplomacy to the end and should indicate it as its main objective to build a common future for Libya, from the east to the west."
SP İstanbul MP Cihangir İslam tweeted, "I have decided to not attend today's Parliamentary session where the deployment of soldiers to Libya will be discussed. I will not enter the session and will not vote."

About the Libya motion
On November 27, Ankara and Libya's United Nations (UN)-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) signed a pact on military cooperation, as well as a pact on maritime boundaries in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Since the ouster of late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, two seats of power have emerged in Libya: one in eastern Libya supported mainly by Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, and another in Tripoli, which enjoys UN and international recognition.
Accordingly, last week, President AKP Chair Recep Tayyip Erdoğan stated that the motion would be submitted to the Parliament in the light of a request by Libya's UN-recognized government for military assistance.
"The project to exclude Turkey from the Mediterranean has been foiled with the latest steps we have taken," Erdoğan said in his New Year's address to the nation.
"With support to the legitimate Tripoli government, Turkey will ensure implementation of all elements of agreements with Libya," Erdoğan added.
Turkey's presidency on Monday submitted a motion to the Parliament Speaker's Office on sending troops to Libya. The parliament is set to debate the motion on January 2.

Source :. http://bianet.org/english/politics/218001-parliament-passes-motion-on-military-deployment-to-libya
Read in Turkish :. http://bianet.org/bianet/toplum/217993-libya-tezkeresi-meclis-te

Turks just start to digging own graves

Turks just start to digging own graves

lonelyman : Afrin will be Turkey's Vietnam

RESULT : Afrin city has fallen in just 52 days

lonelyman : Turkey never will start military operation in the east of Euphrates . because of the US is there

RESULT : Turkish Army took Telabyad and Rasulayn in 7 days

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom