• I agree but,....

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don't agree

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, after the coup attemp, Erdoğan is a Kemalist with that logic.

I didn't vote for Erdogan but you're right to some extent. Authoritarian parties/people with authoritarian personality share some similarities.

Funny you say 'Turks' refuse Kemalism because you know people who hate Kemalism also happens to hate Turkish identity as much and never call themselves Turks.
secim-sonuclari-2015-iste-il-il-secim-sonuclari--6234174.Jpeg

How does Kemalism influence our overall situation today?Just examine the political influence exercised nowadays in our society by Kemalist politicians and you'll understand my point of view.
Do you think that any sane person would call the current CHP Ataturks party or have any sympathy to it?
It does the same the AKP does,create divide between the Turkish people.
Turks will always refuse to accept the rule of a Kemalistic, urban, elitist and rich minority
It is not up to the people to accept or not that elites rule,the elites always rule in every country,sometimes the elite changes,the old goes an the new comes to power,thats all.
You guys are deliberately mixing up people's sympathy towards Atatürk's person with having an Kemalistic worldview in political terms.
Who is you guys?
I am an Ataturk fan but i never voted for the CHP,so what does that make me?
I am secular but this does not mean that I'm in favor of another authoritarian ideology, which Kemalism really is.
This must be the funniest sentence ever written,what is the current rule in our country?
Authoritarian isnt it?
Try to come up with something better then this.

720px-How_to_Steal_an_Election_-_Gerrymandering.svg.png

Thank you for this explanation, that is why Presidental System is so important. No party can use that "district system" to capture Government anymore.

To setup the government, President candidates and their Cabinet list must get %50+1 vote, or they won't success. In current system, if you get %34 vote you can rule the government like a Padishah.

AKP could get new territories throught gerrymandering, thousands of villages suddely became parts of cities that are kilometers away from them, my village became part of a city thats 50km away.
Post maps all you want but AKP isnt playing fair here.

Simplified explanation.

720px-How_to_Steal_an_Election_-_Gerrymandering.svg.png

Sorry but simply not true. The last couple reforms of the the constituencies were to the detriment of AKP. Several conservative Central and Eastern Anatolian provinces lost deputies due to shrinking demographics. Besides, opinion polls & popular votes show us that AKP is stable at 50%.

It seems like Erdogan continues to centralize his power, definitely a bad sign for Turkish democracy, perhaps we'll see a sultan in Turkey in the next 5 years?
I gues you been sleeping the last 8 years,he is already the Sultan(absolute power).

Sorry but simply not true. The last couple reforms of the the constituencies were to the detriment of AKP. Several conservative Central and Eastern Anatolian provinces lost deputies due to shrinking demographics. Besides, opinion polls & popular votes show us that AKP is stable at 50%.
It is true, AKP tends to get less votes in urban areas compared to rural places so making rural areas part of cities makes AKP votes higher than it would actually be in a city which results in more milletvekili.

It is true, AKP tends to get less votes in urban areas (...)

That's an urban legend. In fact, AKP is the only party in Turkey, which receives votes from urban areas as well as rural areas. AKP is the leading party in Istanbul, Bursa, Konya, Ankara, Kocaeli, Kayseri, Gaziantep, Trabzon etc.

No, that's a false narrative, the US and EU associatec governments didn't say anything period, they were waiting to see it play out, after which they gave supportive words.

Classic hedging.

Basically if a coup were going on in the US do you think Erdogan would make a risky statement while it was ongoing or wait to see how it played out?

By the way, to all Turks...

How big a change is this?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/12/erdogan-ak-party-bill-empower-presidency-161211075814359.html

I assume its likely to get passed given it has the support of the akp.

It seems like Erdogan continues to centralize his power, definitely a bad sign for Turkish democracy, perhaps we'll see a sultan in Turkey in the next 5 years?

After a coup attempt, strengthening the presidency is something you shouldn't be shocked about when the military points their barrels at you and your people, and even try to kill you.

Btw please don't talk about bad signs for Turkish democracy, US already took a nice big pile of shit on the name of "democracy", we saw what you have done to the middle-east in the name of "democracy". How many millions of innocent people died in the name of American democracy?

Also, there's a difference between making a statement after the coup, and a difference between making a statement over 50 days later. Russia was the first country to offer help to Turkey after the coup... and they're not even our ally lol, unlike NATO and the US.

After a coup attempt, strengthening the presidency is something you shouldn't be shocked about when the military points their barrels at you and your people, and even try to kill you.

Btw please don't talk about bad signs for Turkish democracy, US already took a nice big pile of shit on the name of "democracy", we saw what you have done to the middle-east in the name of "democracy". How many millions of innocent people died in the name of American democracy?

Also, there's a difference between making a statement after the coup, and a difference between making a statement over 50 days later. Russia was the first country to offer help to Turkey after the coup... and they're not even our ally lol, unlike NATO and the US.

Hey, you are the one that will be living with this, not me. Go balls deep for all I care, thank god i'm not there though. More interested in how this will affect Geo-politics, but this isn't the thread for that.

Hey, you are the one that will be living with this, not me. Go balls deep for all I care, thank god i'm not there though. More interested in how this will affect Geo-politics, but this isn't the thread for that.

Exactly, we Turks are the one's that are going to be living with the decisions, so let us make the decisions. Not NATO, EU, US, etc. I can also say thank God I'm not in the U.S.

I never understand how dare Muricans open their mouths since they have the system for hundreds of years which led Trump kind of neanderthal to Presidency of US. I mean, yeah Erdoğan is not a smart guy at all, he is actually very very dumb. But he is tens of times better than Trump lmao

I gues you been sleeping the last 8 years,he is already the Sultan(absolute power).

DECEMBER 14, 2016 9:14 AM

Turkey’s True Tragedy Is the Anti-Israel Tyrant Erdogan
blumruthie080412-5100-4-avatar.jpg
by Ruthie Blum

Besiktas stadium attack in Istanbul. Photo: Goal.com/screenshot.

On Sunday, after visiting the Haseki Hospital in Istanbul, where scores of survivors of Saturday night’s twin bombings near the capital city’s Besiktas stadium were being treated for serious injuries, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was surrounded outside by crowds shouting “Allahu akbar” (“God is great”).

As funerals began to be held for the 44 people killed in the bombings, most of them police officers, the government declared a national day of mourning, and Erdogan vowed to bring the perpetrators of the latest mass assault in Turkey to justice.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu opened his weekly cabinet meeting that morning by saying, “In the struggle against terrorism there has to be a mutuality in condemnation as well as in thwarting the attacks, and that is Israel’s expectation from all countries it has relations with.”

The message he was conveying to Erdogan was harsh, but apt. Though Jerusalem and Ankara have restored diplomatic ties after a six-year split — with the incoming Turkish emissary’s arrival in Tel Aviv virtually coinciding with the attack — relations between the two are cold.

Erdogan is an Islamist tyrant, who has spent the past 14 years transforming the previously democratic country into his personal fiefdom, incarcerating anyone he deems a threat to his rule. This practice burst into full flower following the failed coup attempt against him in July, which some believe he orchestrated for the purpose of legitimizing his sweeping oppression.

Nor are his repeated declarations about combating terrorism anything more than propaganda. He has illustrated in word and deed that he is selective about which groups he believes need eradicating and which others are worth bolstering. So, while joining the West in fighting Islamic State thugs, he boasts a close partnership with Hamas, the equally vicious murder machine that controls the Gaza Strip, and the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt’s outlawed terrorist organization.

Indeed, it was his instigation of the attempt to break Israel’s naval blockade on Gaza that precipitated the Turkey-Israel schism. This was only bridged when Israel conceded to a list of utterly unjust and draconian demands, including $20 million “compensation” to the families of the perpetrators killed and injured on the Mavi Marmara ship by IDF commandos who shot at their assailants in self-defense.

In August, a month after the attempted coup in Turkey, a Qassam rocket struck a yard in the southern Israeli city of Sderot. Though the attack was committed by a different terrorist group, Israel made good on its oft-repeated promise to hold Hamas responsible for any such activity emanating from Gaza, and bombarded a number of targets in the terrorist-run enclave. The rocket attack and retaliatory strike took place two days after the Turkish parliament ratified the rapprochement agreement with Israel reached in June. Nevertheless, Erdogan’s Foreign Ministry ripped into Israel, “strongly condemning” its “disproportionate attacks, unacceptable whatever prompted them.”

“The normalization of our country’s relations with Israel does not mean we will stay silent in the face of such attacks against the Palestinian people,” the Turkish Foreign Ministry’s statement read.

Israel’s Foreign Ministry shot back: “The normalization of our relations with Turkey does not mean that we will remain silent in the face of its baseless condemnations. Israel will continue to defend its civilians from all rocket fire on our territory, in accordance with international law and our conscience. Turkey should think twice before criticizing the military actions of others.”

As if to prove that he never “thinks twice” before engaging in hypocrisy and brutality, Erdogan launched a full-fledged military operation in the town of Jarablus, along the Turkey-Syria border, three days later. The purpose of the operation, code-named “Euphrates Shield,” was to wrest the area from Islamic State terrorists and Syria-based Kurdish militias affiliated with insurgents in Turkey. That the Kurds were also fighting Islamic State, and receiving U.S. aid to do so, was of no interest to Erdogan, who views them as a danger to his reign.

This is why his first reaction to Saturday night’s carnage was to blame the Kurds and their “Western” backers. His second was to impose a ban on news coverage of the event, and arrest a number of people who posted comments about it on social media. This is but one tiny example of Erdogan’s lack of genuine desire to stomp out terrorism.

Another was apparent at the end of last month. A week before Israel’s new ambassador to Turkey, Eitan Na’eh, presented his credentials in Ankara, Istanbul hosted the first annual conference of the association of “Parliamentarians for Al-Quds.” During the two-day gathering, Erdogan said, “Policies of oppression, deportation and discrimination have been increasingly continuing against our Palestinian brothers since 1948. Actually, I am of the belief that the Palestinian issue serves as a litmus test for the UN Security Council.”

Erdogan’s statement was a milder version of what he had said several days earlier, in an interview with Israel’s Channel 2: “I don’t agree with what Hitler did and I also don’t agree with what Israel did in Gaza,” he told interviewer Ilana Dayan. “Therefore there’s no place for comparison in order to say what’s more barbaric.”

Erdogan’s open assertion that the establishment of the Jewish state is responsible for its “Nazi-like” response to decades of Palestinian-Arab terrorism tells us all we need to know about his true attitude towards the slaughter of innocent people. It is he who is Turkey’s greatest tragedy.

Ruthie Blum is the managing editor of The Algemeiner.

Back
Top Bottom