What's new

Two years on from Taliban takeover, Afghan women are being ‘erased from everything’

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Two years on from Taliban takeover, Afghan women are being ‘erased from everything’​

By Jessie Yeung, Anna Coren and Jawad Temori,
CNN
Tue August 15, 2023

When Zahra thinks back to her life before the summer of 2021, it seems like another reality.
As a student in Afghanistan, she had “lots of friends.”

“We were happy together,” she recalled. “We were studying, sometimes we were gathering together … we were riding bikes.”

Zahra, 20, doesn’t ride bikes anymore. Or go to school, or walk outside without covering her face, or see friends who have fled the country. All she can do, she says, is sit at home and worry about a future that has unraveled before her eyes.

“When I stand in front of the mirror, when I look at myself, I just see a different Zahra from two years ago,” she said. “I feel sad for my past.”

Tuesday marks the two-year anniversary of Kabul falling to the Taliban, which seized control of Afghanistan amid the United States’ chaotic, controversial withdrawal from the country after nearly 20 years of fighting.

The Taliban, which is not recognized by most countries around the world, has declared Tuesday a national holiday. The day is “full of honor and pride for Afghans,” Taliban deputy spokesperson Bilal Karimi told CNN.

“Afghanistan was freed from occupation, Afghans were able to regain their country, freedom, government and will. The only way to solve the problem is understanding and dialogue, pressure and force are not logical,” he added.

Zahra, a 20-year-old woman in Kabul, Afghanistan.

Zahra, a 20-year-old woman in Kabul, Afghanistan.

But celebrating is the last thing many Afghan women like Zahra – who CNN is identifying by her first name only for safety reasons – want to do, as life under Taliban rule becomes increasingly repressive and brutal.

And, activists warn, things may only get worse as the world looks away, fatigued with Afghanistan’s decades-long wars and too preoccupied with their own domestic issues. All the while, dwindling foreign aid means millions of Afghans are battling drought, hunger, and illness in a crisis that United Nations’ human rights experts said this week is growing worse.

“There is no such thing as women’s freedom anymore,” said Mahbouba Seraj, an Afghan women’s rights activist and 2023 Nobel Peace Prize nominee.

“The women in Afghanistan are being slowly erased from society, from life, from everything – their opinions, their voices, what they think, where they are.”

Erased from public sphere​

When the Taliban, a radical Islamist group that had previously ruled Afghanistan in the 1990s, took power in 2021, it initially presented itself as a more moderate version of its former self, even promising that women would be allowed to continue their education up to university.

But it has since cracked down instead, closing secondary schools for girls; banning women from attending university and working at NGOs, including the United Nations; restricting their travel without a male chaperone; and banning them from public spaces such as parks and gyms.

Women can no longer work in most sectors – and were dealt yet another blow last month when the Taliban closed all beauty salons across the country. The industry had employed roughly 60,000 women, many of them the sole breadwinners for their household, spelling more trouble for families already struggling to get by.

For young women like Zahra, the abrupt upending of daily life feels particularly devastating as they come of age and develop dreams for their future. She enjoys art, and had wanted to be a designer or to start her own business – none of which feels possible in Afghanistan anymore.

Zahra spends her time reading books and painting at home in Kabul, Afghanistan.

Zahra spends her time reading books and painting at home in Kabul, Afghanistan.

“I’m 20 years old, and it is time for me to study, to get educated,” she said. “But I’m not allowed. I’m just in my house. I’m just worrying about my future, my sisters, and I’m worrying about the future of all women of Afghanistan.”

Unable to go outside much, she tries to occupy her time at home by painting, reading books, and taking whatever online classes are available. But it feels stifling, like being in prison, she says.

“I cannot concentrate because I see the situation, my sister is sitting at home, all the girls are sitting in their house. They cannot do anything.”

It also has taken a severe mental health toll, with widespread reports of depression and suicide, especially among teenage girls who’ve been prevented from pursuing an education, according to a UN report last month, compiled after a week-long visit to Afghanistan.

Almost 8% of people surveyed knew a girl or woman who had attempted suicide, the report said. Restrictions and economic hardship have also resulted in a rise in domestic violence and the forced marriage of girls, it said.

The Taliban has repeatedly claimed that women are allowed to work in certain sectors as long as it follows “Islamic values.”

A US Air Force aircraft takes off from the airport in Kabul on August 30, 2021

Zabiullah Mujahid, another Taliban spokesperson, acknowledged there was still a “problem regarding the girls’ education,” claiming the group wanted to “pave the ground for Islamic rules and regulations” and establish a “safe environment for their education.”

He also claimed “women are actively working in health, education, police departments, passport offices, airports and so on.”
But nonprofit organizations and experts say that is far from the truth, and the gaping hole is particularly evident in the health care sector.

Under the Taliban’s rules, women can only receive health care from other women – but the ban on women’s higher education means all female medical students haven’t been able to finish their studies and graduate, creating a shortage of much-needed female doctors, midwives and nurses.

“(The Taliban) seem perfectly comfortable with the idea that women and girls are almost certainly already dying because of a lack of health care professionals, because of their policies,” warned Heather Barr, association director of the women’s rights division at Human Rights Watch.

‘Screaming’ for the world’s attention​

The international community has widely condemned the Taliban’s treatment of girls and women, with the UN’s human rights body urging the group this week to introduce reforms and respect women’s freedoms.

But these messages have done little to force change, and global attention has largely faded – leaving many Afghans feeling angry and abandoned by the world.

“The young people of Afghanistan are screaming their lungs out, trying to bring the world’s attention to themselves and to the situation of the war, of the woman in Afghanistan,” said Seraj, the women’s rights activist.

Zahra said she wondered why other countries seemed content to look away. “They are comfortable – their children, their daughters, their sisters are going to school,” she said. “But … there are girls and women in this corner of the world, they are just ignored by the world, and they cannot do anything.”

Mahbouba Seraj, an Afghan women's rights activist and 2023 Nobel Peace Prize nominee.

Mahbouba Seraj, an Afghan women's rights activist and 2023 Nobel Peace Prize nominee.

CNN

After the Taliban takeover, the US and its allies froze about $7 billion of the country’s foreign reserves and cut off international funding. The move crippled an economy already heavily dependent on aid, with millions of Afghans out of work, government employees going without pay, and the price of food and medicine skyrocketing.

Last year, the US set up an economic assistance fund of $3.5 billion with the frozen assets – but officials said they won’t release the money imminently to an institution in Afghanistan, instead going through an outside body, independent of the Taliban and the country’s central bank.

Humanitarian aid has dried up even more in recent months after the Taliban’s ban on women working at NGOs. Numerous organizations, including the UN, had to suspend critical programs or operations in the country.

All the while, activists fear the Taliban may be gradually normalized on the world stage – even if it isn’t widely recognized as a legitimate government and does not control Afghanistan’s UN seat.

A Pakistani soldier stands guard as stranded Afghan nationals return to Afghanistan at the Pakistan-Afghanistan border crossing point in Chaman on August 15, 2021.

“They’re posing in photographs with smiling diplomats, they’re getting on private jets to fly off to important high-level meetings where people roll out red carpets for them,” said Barr. “They’re being permitted to take control of embassies in a growing number of countries. So I think from their perspective, it’s going pretty well.”

The dire situation means more than 1.6 million Afghans have fled the country since 2021, according to the UN. Even those refugees face a future of uncertainty, many still waiting to be admitted to the US and other Western nations, while some have been waiting so long they were forcibly deported back to Afghanistan and had to go into hiding.

“The only reason why I’m in Afghanistan and I’m staying here is to be next to my sisters and try to help them,” said Seraj, the women’s rights activists. “I have not lost all hope. But with every step of the way and with every decision, I’m seeing it becoming more and more difficult.”

And for young Afghans hoping to preserve what’s left of their future, fleeing seems the only option left.

“Of course, everybody loves to be in your own country, because this is our hometown. But I think there is no choice to stay here,” said Zahra. “I have to decide about my future. So the best way is leaving the country.”

Two years on, Afghan Taliban still in consolidation phase

Tahir Khan
Published August 16, 2023

Afghan women shout slogans during a demonstration against the Taliban regime in Islamabad; while (right) armed Taliban security personnel celebrate the second anniversary of their takeover, in Jalalabad on Tuesday.—AFP

Afghan women shout slogans during a demonstration against the Taliban regime in Islamabad; while (right) armed Taliban security personnel celebrate the second anniversary of their takeover, in Jalalabad on Tuesday.—AFP

ISLAMABAD: The Afghan Taliban on Tuesday celebrated the second anniversary of the fall of Kabul at a time when the country faces a variety of challenges, the foremost being the non-recognition of their government by every single country in the world.

Senior Taliban leaders, including Deputy Prime Minister Abdul Salam Hanafi, spoke at a gathering in Kabul and highlighted achievements over the past two years, but did not even hint at reopening educational institutions for girls.

Hanafi, whose speech was broadcast by the state media, did not directly mention the issue of education. However, he told the gathering that the “people’s demands and suggestions should be heard and implemented”.

Hanafi is among the few Taliban leaders who support reopening of educational institutions for girls, but their supreme leader has not budged on the demand, which has been forcefully coming, both from within Afghanistan and abroad.

Kabul’s rigidity on issues such as women’s education means that foreign recognition remains a distant dream
The issue seems to be a divisive one of the leadership of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, where some leaders believe contemporary education is not obligatory for women, while others have a different view.

In December last year, when Afghans were expecting reopening of girls’ high schools following international pressure, the Taliban leadership ordered an indefinite ban on university education for women. Then, at the beginning of this year, they banned girls from taking university entrance exams, which remains in force to this day.

Although no country has accorded recognition to the Taliban regime, the international community –including the US – continues to engage with Taliban leaders. Recently, US special envoy for Afghanistan Tom West held talks with a Taliban team led by Foreign Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi in Qatar in July.

The US and the Taliban have two tracks of regular dialogue, one political and the second one more intelligence-based. The Taliban intelligence GDI’s chief Abdul Haq Wasiq is a frequent visitor of Doha, where the Taliban still have political headquarters.

Taliban Deputy Prime Minister Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar is currently visiting Turkey, where he has held a series of meetings on bilateral cooperation with senior Turkish officials, according to the Taliban foreign ministry.

Russia has also invited the Taliban government to the upcoming ‘Moscow Format’ consultations on September 29, Taliban officials claimed. Pakistan is also an active member of this process started in 2017.

Consolidating power

Taliban chief Hibatullah Akhundzada, who is based in Kandahar – the so-called birthplace of the Taliban – is said to have consolidated his control over nearly all affairs of the state and only consults close aides on key issues.

There has been no meeting of the leadership council ‘Rehbari Shura’ since the last one, held in Kandahar in the final week of August 2021, days after the Taliban took control of the country – with the exception of Panjshir, which fell in the first week of September 2021.

As the Taliban government enters its third year, the deposed government of Ashraf Ghani still holds the Afghan seat in the United Nations.

Speaking at a gathering in 2022, Akhundzada had ruled out any space from those who had been associated with the previous regimes of Hamid Karzai and Ashraf Ghani. There has been no change in this policy.

But former president Karzai, who is among the handful of Afghan leaders to remain in Kabul after the Taliban takeover, is said to be pressing the current leaders to first get recognition at home before asking the world for the same.

The Taliban’s rejection of the global community’s repeated calls for an inclusive set-up is seen as one of the major hurdles in the regime’s quest for recognition.

In a meeting in July this year, Taliban deputy spokesman Bilal Karimi told this scribe that their government was “inclusive and had representation of all ethnicities and tribes”.

“A gathering of over 5,000 religious scholars and influential personalities from across Afghanistan in July last year had pledged allegiance to the [Taliban chief] and the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan. That was an example of inclusivity,” the spokesman said.

In addition, the government also has at its disposal a 150,000-strong military force, composed mostly of Taliban fighters.

“The leadership of the Islamic Emirate has been able to take all required measures for the defence of Afghanistan. A national and organised army of more than 150,000 personnel, all are equipped with arms and are now in military uniform,” Major General Abdul Latif Hakimi told Dawn.

“Besides military resources, we have got equipment left by the US-NATO invading forces as booty, and also Emirate’s own resources which we had over the past 20 years during the war,” he said.

Strained relationship with Pakistan

Kabul’s relationship with Pakistan also seems to be in the doldrums. While there was a time that Pakistan’s former foreign minister, Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari, would plead the case for saving Afghanistan from isolation, the bonhomie seems to have subsided in the wake of recriminations over militants using Afghan soil to stage attacks in Pakistan.

Despite Pakistan’s concerns at what officials call “safe havens” of the banned Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) in Afghanistan, Taliban officials reject Pakistan’s stance.

“We think the TTP problem is Pakistan’s internal issue. We hope Pakistan will be able to find a solution to their problem,” Mr Karimi said.

Islamabad, meanwhile, views the matter differently. Several statements in the recent past have stressed the importance of abiding by the Doha agreement, under which the Afghan Taliban agreed to not let their territory be used against any other country.

But even as the accusations and counter-accusations fly, the overwhelming message from Taliban officials, including Interior Minister Sirajuddin Haqqani is one of “no animosity towards Pakistan”.

Mr Haqqani told this scribe that his regime wanted to help end violence in Pakistan, and admitted they had host talks between TTP and the state of Pakistan, which collapsed last year after reaching a stalemate.

In his view, the starting point for such cooperation has to be the facilitation of trade and improving border-crossing points.

Abdul Salam Jawad, spokesman for the Afghan Commerce Ministry, said Afghanistan is set to begin direct trade with China via the Wakhan Corridor that connects Afghanistan’s Badakhshan province with Xinjiang in China.

In a recent interview in Kabul, he said Afghanistan has completed a road to the border with China and the movement of goods between the two could start as early as this year.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom