What's new

UAE residents and tourists bless bricks for new Hindu temple in Abu Dhabi

Good to see religious freedom coming to the Middle East

UAE seems to be progressive in a lot of ways.

Major flaw is it's involvement in bombing Yemen and causing so much suffering there.

Otherwise, they seem to be slowly embracing a multicultural and multi religious society.

Worshippers and visitors in Abu Dhabi are lining up to get involved in the construction of the capital's first traditional Hindu stone temple.

Residents and tourists are praying over bricks before bringing them to the Mureikha construction site where they will be added to carved stone pillars.

The gesture symbolises community involvement in the construction of what will be the largest Hindu shrine in the UAE when it is completed in late 2023.

The significance of this ceremony is it allows one to be a part of history in the making
Ashok Kotecha, chairman of the BAPS Hindu Mandir
The temple's foundations have been completed and its first three layers of carved stone have been fitted, said Ashok Kotecha, chairman of BAPS Hindu Mandir, which is overseeing construction.

The shrine will embody ancient stories from Hindu scriptures in its architecture.

Carved sandstone pillars, hand-sculpted by artisans in India, were shipped to Abu Dhabi for the towering temple that will have five ornate domes and seven spires, one for each emirate of the UAE.

Bricks are blessed and then brought to the temple's main constriction area. Vidhyaa Chandrmohan for The National's main constriction area. Vidhyaa Chandrmohan for The National

Bricks are blessed and then brought to the temple's main constriction area. Vidhyaa Chandrmohan for The National

“Visitors will have the opportunity to see the mandir [temple] taking shape in front of their eyes,” Mr Kotecha told The National.

“Visitors shall be able to see the construction of the intricately carved outer walls and majestic pillars.”

The temple authorities decided last month to invite visitors to take part in prayers to bless the bricks and be part of the construction phase.

“The significance of this ceremony is it allows one to really be a part of history in the making,” Mr Kotecha said.

“Thoughts, love and well-wishes of visitors are captured in this ceremony and will allow their presence to reverberate through the passage of time as the temple stands tall upon completion.”

Gopi Krishnan Venugopal, an Abu Dhabi resident, took part in one Friday ceremony with 40 relatives and friends.

“It is a great honour to be part of the temple construction, even in a small way,” said Mr Venugopal, a Malaysian citizen who works in the oil and gas sector.

“We feel blessed to have the opportunity to be part of the historic event of building a temple.

“For me, this signifies the integration of the oldest civilisation and tradition, in the form of a temple, with the diversity and inclusion of the UAE.”

How the Hindu temple will look when it is completed. Photo: BAPS Hindu Mandir

How the Hindu temple will look when it is completed. Photo: BAPS Hindu Mandir

Mr Venugopal’s wife, Rekha, and teenage daughter Priya joined him inside a large tent on the site where they recited prayers and sprinkled flowers and vermilion powder – a red substance often used during Hindu services – on the bricks.

The group then carried the bricks outside to be used later in the temple's construction.

An exhibition area has been set up for visitors to learn more about the shrine and how land for its construction was granted by the UAE.

“My prayers are for safe construction, giving thanks to the UAE Rulers for giving us this land,” Mr Venugopal said.

“I also pray this pandemic will go away so more people can meet, congregate and pray.”

The building will replicate the traditional architecture of ancient temples in India and will not use iron reinforcements in its construction.

The stonework shipped from India will be assembled and fitted on site, the process resembling a massive jigsaw puzzle.

Its designs include prayer halls, an amphitheatre, a community centre, library, children’s play area, parks and food court.

Devotees from overseas can be part of the ceremony online. Others can visit the temple site on Friday between 10am to 2pm after registering on the temple website.

Religion should not come in between two friends , religion is opium . All countries should become progressive and liberal . Keep religion in your homes .

Hijaz, not whole of Arabia...But
View attachment 810598
Sometimes It realize if Arabs can really read Arabic ? if they do, haven't they read the warnings provided by Rasool Allah ? Building tall buildings, Living Lavish life style, Zina , bringing idolism back in Arabia, In fighting, seriously Arabs are doing exact things word by word as Rasool Allah describe. This is for me yet another testimony that the man (Mohammad) PBUH is greatest most knowledgeable Rasool of All time.
Why dont you apply those things in your life and in your country first , then lecture arabs how to intrepret what is written in arabic ?

Aren't Indians like 60% of the actual population in the UAE? (including non-permanent foreigners)

They are pagans for you but for some you are a pagan.
So to differentiate between believers and non-believers is criminal in the national level.
In a personal level it's a different matter.

The nation cannot and should not discriminate on religious basis.

Yes make sure you show same "maturity" when it comes to Muslims eating beef.

the najdi cult is showing its true nature
What does UAE bediouns have anything to do with Najdi?

And as a fellow idol worshipper shouldn't you be happy UAE is taking a step in your direction?

You must have been there to gauge his r.a faith?
And you gauged him to have professed his faith, even though there is no historical evidence to support this claim.

Hijaz, not whole of Arabia...But
View attachment 810598
Sometimes It realize if Arabs can really read Arabic ? if they do,

Abu Talib Prophets uncle died on the religion of Paganism
According to shia sources he converted to Islam.Then again the new information emerging out questions the entire historic authenticity of Muhammad and foundation of Islam.Therefore no one can make any categorical statement that there ever existed a person called Abu Talib.

@Mods I know some people will report my comment and you biased people naturally will issue a warning and delete my comment...before deleting my comment you should also delete the above person's post as it was he brought religious references into the topic and insulting hindus demeaning them by using the terms like pagans.

You must have been there to gauge his r.a faith?

I wasn't there when Quran was reveled and yet I believe it to be word of Allah, I wasn't also there when Rasool Allah received first revelation but yet I believe it... Abu Talib Although he helped Prophet a lot but he never accepted Islam, I can find and post that narration where Prophet on his (Abu Talib) death bed asked him to take the Shadah but he did not by saying that he will not leave his ancestors religion. I am not saying he will burn in hell or what, all I am saying that Abu Talib never took the Shahdah like Abbas and Hamza RA who accepted Islam and later become the best of companions.

The nation cannot and should not discriminate on religious basis.
Man you indian hindus are pure pathological mouth fodders. You want rights in Muslim countries while making indian Muslims as 3rd class citizen!

Well, we should not expect anything better from you heathens anyway...

Man you indian hindus are pure pathological mouth fodders. You want rights in Muslim countries while making indian Muslims as 3rd class citizen!

Being a Pakistani you have been brainwashed by negativity towards India.
We give equal rights to all muslims, same as that of a Hindu or anyother religion. We have had muslim presidents and high ranking officers. You guys don't have the guts to even give symbolical equality to non muslims in your country. We have thousands of new mosques built in India after independence, how many temples and churches did you guys allow to be build??
Pakistan is a joke in the name of equality and religious freedom. And with the 4th worst passport in the world you guys deserve all the lanat bestowed upon you by the world.
Atleast I don't have to say, 'i am a tourist and not a terrorist' while showing my passport...!!!

Indian muslims have far far better rights than hindus in pakistan, bangladesh and arab countries .

Being a Pakistani you have been brainwashed by negativity towards India.
We give equal rights to all muslims, same as that of a Hindu or anyother religion. We have had muslim presidents and high ranking officers. You guys don't have the guts to even give symbolical equality to non muslims in your country. We have thousands of new mosques built in India after independence, how many temples and churches did you guys allow to be build??
Pakistan is a joke in the name of equality and religious freedom. And with the 4th worst passport in the world you guys deserve all the lanat bestowed upon you by the world.
Atleast I don't have to say, 'i am a tourist and not a terrorist' while showing my passport...!!!
They are frustrated that india adopted secular constitution and gave highest posts to muslims , on the other hand pakistan failed to give equal rights to hindus, sikhs , masihis . Non muslims live as second class citizens , they can not become PM, President , CM, GHQ boss . Army chief .

They let them built a synagogue few years ago, so mandir must be fine by their standards I suppose.

That is quite common in arab countries considering there is small community of native jews in almost every arab country that is living there for centuries.

Even in bahrain we have a synagogue, while countries like Tunisia etc have there local jew arab tribes.

Back
Top Bottom