What's new

UAE triggers 80-aircraft Rafale contract

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
19 April 2022

Dassault Aviation has received the first payment from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for the Gulf state’s purchase of Rafale fighters, bringing the contract into force and adding 80 aircraft to the French firm’s backlog.

Signed on 3 December last year, the agreement between France and the UAE is the largest ever export order for the Rafale. In addition, Abu Dhabi will be the first operator of F4-standard jets outside of Dassault’s home nation.

Rafale-c-dassaultAviationjpg

Source: Dassault Aviation

The French government values the deal at €16 billion ($18 billion): €14 billion for the aircraft and €2 billion for weapons. Deliveries are due to run between 2027 and 2031.

“The Rafale shows, through its proven operational qualities and its export success, that it is today a real ‘game changer’ on the global geopolitical scene and an undisputed instrument for independence and sovereignty.

“Dassault Aviation is fully committed to supporting the United Arab Emirates in its sovereign power, its strategic challenges and its ambitious vision of the future,” says Eric Trappier, chief executive of the French airframer.

At the end of 2021, Dassault had 86 Rafales in its backlog, of which 46 were for export customers Egypt, Greece and India.
So far this year Greece has already placed a follow on order for six additional aircraft, while Indonesia has tentatively committed to a 42-unit deal.

https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/uae-triggers-80-aircraft-rafale-contract/148315.article

Dassault Aviation: The new Egyptian deal regarding the Rafale combat aircraft will be the latest version of the F4

Officials from the French company Dassault Aviation announced in statements that the new Egyptian deal of the Rafale combat aircraft will be the latest version of the F4 and delivery as it is known between 2024 and 2026.

So look like Indonesian contract order for 6 Rafale F3R hasnt been activated

So first plane to be received in 5 years. That's a long time. Anyways looks like UAE ain't interested in F35s anymore.

That's quite a long time before 2027, people hates waiting.

Also means if India wants more Rafales - she is gonna have to wait a lot or "finance" a new Rafale build/assembley line somewhere..

So first plane to be received in 5 years. That's a long time. Anyways looks like UAE ain't interested in F35s anymore.

it was a mea kulpa for the Aussie submarine deal. A France/Indian nuclear submarine deal similar to the AUKUS may also be in the pipeline.

The UAE will get both.. The Rafale to replace the Mirage 2k-9 and the F-35 to replace the F-16 blk 60

Sukhoi-30MKI assembly lines are currently not utilized.

Wasn't Dassault building manufacturing facility in Nagpur in collaboration with Reliance Defense? As their partner is going through Bankruptcy I guess Dassault will acquire full stake in that firm.

Last edited:
The UAE will get both.. The Rafale to replace the Mirage 2k-9 and the F-35 to replace the F-16 blk 60
What will it take for the UAE to get the F-35? Does the US expect the UAE to cut or downgrade its security ties with China? Also, how relevant is the Huawei factor? I have a hard time thinking that the UAE will bow to those requests...

Also, my understanding was that the US was unwilling to provide much transfer of technology from the F-35, and therefore the UAE turned to France, who seems more willing to do so. Please correct me if I am wrong.

What will it take for the UAE to get the F-35? Does the US expect the UAE to cut or downgrade its security ties with China? Also, how relevant is the Huawei factor? I have a hard time thinking that the UAE will bow to those requests...

Also, my understanding was that the US was unwilling to provide much transfer of technology from the F-35, and therefore the UAE turned to France, who seems more willing to do so. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The F-35 deal was signed with Trump.. then came Biden who decided to revise it but ended up approving it.. with some new conditions that the UAE refused.. The best guess is that the UAE will wait for the next US president and government.. in order to finalize the deal..

It has said officially after the Rafale deal.. that it will complement the F-35..

The Rafale deal has nothing to do with the F-35.. if not to to tease this Biden administration.. it was coming anyways because the negotiations went on for over 15 years..

The ToT the UAE asked for is totally different in both deals..apart from the mandatory maintenance and spare parts localization..in the Rafale deal it added the possibility of integrating some of its own weapons on the fighter plane..While in the F-35 deal it wanted the localization of some F-35 avionics technologies and some other parts ..

Last edited:
The F-35 deal was signed with Trump.. then came Biden who decided to revise it but ended up approving it.. with some new conditions that the UAE refused.. The best guess is that the UAE will wait for the next US president and government.. in order to finalize the deal..

It has said officially after the Rafale deal.. that it will complement the F-35..

The Rafale deal has nothing to do with the F-35.. if not to to tease this Biden administration.. it was coming anyways because the negotiations went on for over 15 years..

The ToT the UAE asked for is totally different in both deals..apart from the mandatory maintenance and spare parts localization..in the Rafale deal it added the possibility of integrating some of its own weapons on the fighter plane..While in the F-35 deal it wanted the localization of some F-35 avionics technologies and some other parts ..
Thanks, this is helpful!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom