What's new

UN report: Children and armed conflict(Syria,Kashmir,Yemen,...)

LienNoir

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Children and armed conflict

III. Information on grave violations

Syrian Arab Republic
172. The United Nations verified 2,638 violations affecting 2,292 children
(1,612 boys, 401 girls, 279 sex unknown).

173. The recruitment and use of 820 children (765 boys, 55 girls) was verified, 798 of whom served in combat and 147 of whom were below the age of 15. Cases were attributed to the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG/YPJ) (283) under the umbrella of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), Hay’at Tahrir al -Sham led by Nusrah Front (245), Syr ian armed opposition groups (formerly known as the Free Syrian Army)10 (191), Ahrar al-Sham (26), other components of SDF (23), the Internal Security Forces (ISF) (22), unidentified armed groups (11), Syrian government forces (10), pro-government militia (5), Nur al-Din al-Zanki (3) and Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) (1). Most cases occurred in Aleppo, Idlib and Raqqah. In addition, within the framework of the action plan signed in June 2019 with SDF,
51 girls were released.

174. At least 218 children (216 boys, 2 girls) were detained or deprived of liberty for their alleged association with opposing parties, by YPG/YPJ (194) under the umbrella of SDF, ISF (20), Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (2) and Syrian government forces (2). In October, the United Na tions verified the deprivation of liberty of 150 boys, some as young as 9, of Syrian nationality and of at least 22 other nationalities, by YPG/YPJ under the umbrella of SDF, for alleged association with ISIL.

175. The killing (897) and maiming (557) of 1 ,454 children (834 boys, 342 girls, 278 sex unknown) were verified, with 678 of the violations occurring in Idlib. Half of the casualties were attributed to government and pro -government forces (723) (including government and pro-government air forces (487 ), government forces and
10 Formerly referred to as groups self -affiliated with the Free Syrian Army.
pro-government militias (231) and government forces (5)), unidentified perpetrators (580), Operation Peace Spring 11 (65), YPG/YPJ (21) under the umbrella of SDF, ISIL (23), Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (14), the international counter-ISIL coalition (11), Syrian armed opposition groups (10), other components of SDF (6) and ISF (1). The casualties mainly resulted from air strikes (515), shelling (332), unexploded ordnance (301) and attacks with the use of improvised explosive devices (165). The last quarter of 2019 witnessed a significant spike in the number of high -casualty incidents during military escalations in north -western and north-eastern parts of the country.

176. Sexual violence perpetrated against children and attributed to parties remained underreported. The United Nations verified 11 cases of sexual violence against girls in detention by government forces, which occurred in previous years and were verified at a later date.

177. There were a total of 262 attacks on schools (157) an d hospitals (105), including on protected personnel, attributed to the Syrian government and pro -government forces (226) (including government and pro -government air forces (147), government forces and pro-government militias (75) and government forces (4) ), unidentified perpetrators (14), Operation Peace Spring (6), Syrian armed opposition groups (5), Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (5), ISIL (3), YPG/YPJ and other components of SDF (2), international counter-ISIL coalition (1). The majority of those attacks (192) o ccurred in Idlib, with most involving air strikes (158), shelling (50), explosions of unknown nature (34) and attacks using improvised explosive devices (6).

178. Some 32 schools and 2 medical facilities were used for military purposes by YPG/YPJ (17), government forces (10), ISF (3), other components of SDF (1)and Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (1), mainly in Hasakah (22).

179. The abduction of 17 children (12 boys, 4 girls, 1 sex unknown) was attributed to YPG/YPJ (8), other components of SDF (1) and ISF (1), Syr ian armed opposition groups (4) and government forces (3). In the majority of incidents, children were abducted owing to the alleged affiliation of relatives with opposing groups or as a precursor to their recruitment.

180. A total of 84 incidents of the d enial of humanitarian access included attacks on water facilities (46), incidents of the removal or blocking of humanitarian supplies (21) and attacks on humanitarian facilities, transports and personnel (17). The incidents were attributed to government an d pro-government forces (58) (including government forces and pro-government militias (30), government and pro-government air forces (26) and government forces (2)), unidentified perpetrators (10), YPG/YPJ (3), self-administration in northern and eastern S yrian Arab Republic (7), Operation Peace Spring (3), ISF (1), Hay’at Tahrir al -Sham (1) and the Syrian Salvation Government (1).

Developments and concerns

181. I welcome the commitment by SDF to the action plan signed in June 2019 with my Special Representative and the progress in its implementation, in particular the issuance of a military order reiterating the prohibition of recruitment of children, the establishment of an implementation committee, the training of 100 commanders, the appointment of senior focal points and the release of 30 children in 2019 and 51 girls in early 2020, as well as the separation of 18 boys awaiting formal release. I further welcome the fact that United Nations child protection partners were granted access to Centre Houry in Hasakah, which mainly houses Syrian children formerly associated

11 Turkish forces and Syrian armed groups operate in the context of Operation Peace Spring.

with ISIL as so-called “cubs of the caliphate”. I note that the start of Operation Peace
Spring in October 2019 affected the implementation of the action plan.

182. I note the dialogue between the Government of the Syrian Arab Republic and the United Nations on non-military use of schools to implement the recommendations of the Committee on the Rights of the Child, including recommendations concerning the recruitment and use of children. I call upon the Government to engage with the United Nations in Damascus and with my Special Representative to strengthen the protection of children affected by armed conflict, including through the signature of dedicated joint action plans for which the Government of the Syrian Arab Republic is listed.

183. I am appalled by the persistent high levels of all grave violations endured by children and perpetrated by all parties in the country, including by government and pro-government forces. I am particular ly disturbed by the increase in the number of attacks against schools and hospitals. I am extremely concerned by the drastic increase in the detention of children on security -related charges. The rising number of incidents of the denial of humanitarian acc ess and emerging trend of attacks on water facilities are also concerning. I urge all parties to take all necessary measures to better protect children in armed conflict, including precautionary measures to mitigate child casualties, and to protect schools and health facilities in the conduct of military operations.

184. I reiterate my call upon all concerned countries that have not already done so, to facilitate the voluntary repatriation of foreign women and children with suspected family ties to ISIL who are currently in camps in the north -east of the country, in line with international law principles, including the principle of non -refoulement and with respect for the best interests of the child.

Israel and the State of Palestine
82. The United Nations verified 3,908 violations against 1,565 Palestinian and
6 Israeli children (1,486 boys, 85 girls).

83. No incidents of the recruitment and use of children were verified. Of concern, in Gaza, the Palestinian Islamic Jihad’s al -Quds Brigades and Hamas’ al-Qassam Brigades organized weeklong “summer camps” for adults and children as young as
14, exposing them to military content and activities. One c hild reported that the Israeli forces attempted to recruit him as an informant.

84. A total of 529 Palestinian children (528 boys, 1 girl) were detained for alleged security offences by Israeli forces (527) in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem (527, including 374 in East Jerusalem), and by de facto authorities in
Gaza (2). The United Nations received testimonies of 166 children who reported ill - treatment and breaches of due process by Israeli forces, including physical violence and one threat of sexual violence.

85. A total of 32 Palestinian children (29 boys, 3 girls) and 1 Israeli girl were killed in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem (6), and the Gaza Strip (27). Most casualties were attributed to Israeli forces (29) an d caused by live ammunition (15), air strikes (10) or tear-gas canisters (4). One case was attributed to a Palestinian armed group, while two children were killed in incidents involving explosive remnants of war. One Israeli girl was killed by an improvise d explosive device in the occupied West Bank, attributed to unidentified perpetrators.

86. A total of 1,539 Palestinian children (1,460 boys, 79 girls) and 8 Israeli children (5 boys, 3 girls,) were maimed. Casualties were attributed to Israeli forces (1,4 96), Israeli settlers (19), Palestinian armed groups (7), Hamas (3), explosive remnants of war (17), unidentified perpetrators (3) and stabbing attacks not attributed to any party (2). The causes of maiming and injuries of children by Israeli forces were l ive ammunition (415), tear-gas inhalation (358), tear-gas canisters (311), rubber-coated metal bullets (229), ammunition shrapnel (121), air strikes (34), physical assault (22) and other causes (6). Children were maimed by Israeli forces during demonstrati ons (1,036) and other circumstances (1) at the Israel -Gaza perimeter fence, during air strikes by Israeli forces on Gaza (34) and on the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem (425). Of the eight Israeli children maimed, three were injured in Hamas rocket attacks. The maiming or injuring of 532 additional children (510 boys, 22 girls) by Israeli forces during demonstrations in Gaza in 2018 was verified at a later date, in 2019.

87. Some 208 attacks on schools (15) and hospitals (193) and protected per sonnel, attributed to Israeli forces (201) and settlers (7), occurred in Gaza (168) and in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem (40), and involved hospitals being damaged by air strikes (1) or affected by tear gas disrupting their functioning (3), incid ents of injuring or killing of medical personnel (189) and threats against teachers or students (15). The United Nations verified 4 incidents of the military use of schools by Israeli forces and 242 other interferences with education by Israeli forces (229 ) and Israeli settlers (13), affecting over 48,000 Palestinian children, mostly involving Israeli forces firing live ammunition, tear gas or sound grenades in and around schools. Conflict escalation significantly affected children’s education: rocket fire by Palestinian armed groups, on the one hand, and air strikes by Israeli forces on Gaza, on the other, each caused school closures for five days, affecting 1.3 million children respectively. Incendiary balloons were launched from Gaza towards Israel, some of which reportedly landed near schools.

88. The denial of humanitarian access by Israeli forces was verified in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and in Gaza. In the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, medical and other emergency services were pre vented from reaching children injured in four incidents. As for Gaza, 23 per cent of applications to Israeli authorities to gain access to specialized medical treatment outside Gaza were delayed

until after the scheduled appointment and 5 per cent were den ied, affecting 2,127 children (1,281 boys, 846 girls).

89. I note the decrease in the killing and maiming of children but remain extremely concerned by the high incidence of this violation in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territory. I welcome the increased dialogue on grave violations of Israel and the State of Palestine with my Special Representative and the United Nations on the ground, following my previous report, and request my Special Representative to continue her efforts to engage with all parties to end grave violations against children and to further examine grave violations against children, including recruitment and use by armed groups and killing and maiming by Israeli forces.

90. I urge all parties to end and prevent grave violations against children, in particular killing and maiming, and to apply all feasible measures to ensure the protection of, and care for, children affected by armed conflict.

91. I urge Israel to put in place measures to end any exces sive use of force against children and to ensure accountability in all cases involving the killing and maiming of children. I reiterate my call upon Israel to uphold international juvenile justice standards, as well as to cease the use of administrative de tention for children and end all forms of ill-treatment in detention or any attempted recruitment of detained children as informants, and I exhort Israel to better protect schools as places of learning.

92. I urge all Palestinian armed groups to uphold the ir responsibility to ensure the safety of children, including by preventing them from being exposed to the risk of violence or by abstaining from instrumentalizing them for political purposes, including by exposing them to military content and activities. I call upon Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza to cease all indiscriminate launching of rockets, mortars and incendiary balloons.

Afghanistan
16. The United Nations verified 3,410 grave violations against 3,245 children
(2,317 boys, 915 girls, 13 sex unknown).

17. A total of 64 boys, some as young as 10, were recruited and used by the Taliban (58), Afghan National Police (3), Afghan Local Police, pro -government militia, and by Afghan Local Police and pro -government militias (1 each). Children were used for combat, support roles and sexual purposes, including bacha bazi.7

18. The Government reported that 146 boys were detained in juvenile rehabilitation centres on national security-related charges.

19. Of concern, reports currently being verified indicate that among the 506 children, reportedly including foreigners, who surrendered with the thousan ds of individuals allegedly associated with Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant -Khorasan Province (ISIL-KP),8 all children over the age of 12 were transferred to the Kabul juvenile rehabilitation centre.

20. A total of 3,149 children (2,226 boys, 910 girl s, 13 sex unknown) were killed (874 children) and maimed (2,275 children), mainly as a result of ground engagements (1,213), by non-suicide attacks with the use of improvised explosive devices (575), and suicide and complex attacks (460). Additionally, exp losive remnants of war and aerial attacks caused 403 and 341 casualties, respectively. The remaining 157 casualties resulted mostly from search operations, targeted or deliberate killings, and escalation of force. Armed groups caused 1,535 casualties, which were attributed to the Taliban (1,238), ISIL -KP (242) and unidentified armed groups (55). Government and pro -government forces were responsible for 1,032 casualties, including the Afghan National Defence and Security Forces (610) (mainly Afghan National Army (491), the National Directorate of Security (38) and Afghan National Police (30)), international forces (248), pro -government militia (45), joint operations of government and pro -government forces (117) and undetermined government and pro-government forces (12). Another 403 casualties were jointly attributed to government and pro -government forces and armed groups, responsibility for 140 casualties was unattributed, and 39 casualties resulted from cross -border engagements at the border with Pakistan.

21. Sexual violence affecting 18 children (13 boys, 5 girls) was attributed to the Taliban (14), Afghan National Police (3) and one incident was jointly attributed to Afghan Local Police and pro-government militia. Two boys were used as bacha bazi.

22. Some 145 attacks against schools (70), hospitals (75) and protected personnel were verified. Armed groups were responsible for 113 attacks, attributed to the Taliban (101), ISIL-KP (8) and unidentified armed groups (4). A total of 26 attacks were attributed to government and pro-government forces, including the Afghan National Defence and Security Forces (20) (Afghan National Army (10), National Directorate of Security (8), Afghan National Police and Afghan Local Police (1 each))

7 Bacha bazi is a harmful practice whereby boys are used by men for entertainment. The boys are made to dance at parties, and are often dressed in female clothes and subjected to sexual violence, as reported by UNAMA and OHCHR in their annual report on the protection of civilians in armed conflict.
8 Additional information on Afghanistan is included in the twenty -fifth report of the Analytical
Support and Sanctions Monitoring Team submitted pursuant to resolution 2368 (2017)
concerning ISIL (Da’esh), Al-Qaida and associated individuals and entities ( S/2020/53).

and international forces (6). Five attacks were attributed both to government and pro-government forces and armed groups, and one consisted of cross -border shelling from the Pakistan territory. Among all the attacks, 24 attacks against schools (21) and hospitals (3) resulted from election-related violence. Other attacks included targeting or damaging facilities and the killing, injuring or abduction of protected personnel, or such personnel being subjected to threats.

23. The military use of six schools by the Afghan National Army and o ne school by government and pro-government forces was verified. Two medical facilities were used by the Afghan National Army, and jointly by the Afghan National Army, the Afghan Local Police and pro-government militia.

24. The abduction of 14 boys as young as 11, by the Taliban (12), Afghan National Police and pro-government militia (1 each), mostly for family association or alleged association with the Afghan National Defence and Security Forces and in one case for sexual purposes, were verified.

25. A total of 20 incidents of denial of humanitarian access by the Taliban (13), ISIL-KP (4), unidentified armed groups (2) and international forces (1) were verified. Armed groups continued to intimidate, abduct, kill and injure humanitarian personnel, including polio vaccinators.

26. I commend the Government for progress in implementing the 2011 action plan and 2014 road map to end and prevent child recruitment and use, and for the presidential enactment of the Child Rights Protection Law in March 2019, prohibiting bacha bazi and the recruitment and use of children, and I call for its swift implementation, particularly in Logar Province. I note that child protection units within the Afghan National Police recruitment centres rejected 439 child applicants. I recommend the adoption of a s tandardized referral system for the reintegration of children who have been separated from parties to conflict, released from detention and/or rejected from recruitment centres.

27. I am extremely concerned about the increased number of children killed an d maimed by all parties, in particular by the 67 per cent increase in incidents resulting from suicide attacks involving the use of improvised explosive devices and from complex attacks. I remain concerned about casualties caused by government and international forces, and I urge them to review, strengthen and implement current tactical protocols to prevent child casualties. I note the measures taken by the international forces and the decrease in the number of child casualties from aerial operations. I encourage the Government to engage with the United Nations to broaden the existing action plan and road map to end and prevent all grave violations by its forces. I request my Special Representative to continue to engage proactively and follow up on the imple mentation of all measures taken by the government and international forces to mitigate child casualties.

28. I am concerned that polio vaccinators are denied access by the Taliban and affiliated groups. I urge the Taliban to include child protection direct ives in their operational commands, in order to protect all children under the age of 18. I encourage them to sign an action plan with the United Nations to end and prevent violations against children. I further urge all parties to cease the use of improvi sed explosive devices and complex attacks.

29. I welcome efforts to achieve a lasting political settlement to the conflict in Afghanistan. I urge the Government and the Taliban to work with my Special Representative and the United Nations in considering t he use of the “Practical guidance for mediators” in order to include child protection in the peace process.

Myanmar
122. The United Nations verified 432 g rave violations against 420 children
(351 boys, 67 girls, 2 sex unknown).

123. The recruitment and use of 50 children, between the ages of 12 and 17, mainly in Kachin and Shan States, was attributed to armed groups (33) (Kachin Independence Army (KIA) (30), United Wa State Army (2) and Shan State Progress Party/Shan State Army (1)) and the Tatmadaw (17). Of those recruited by the Tatmadaw, nine boys were recruited by the Tatmadaw between 2012 and 2017 and the incidents were verified at a later date, and eig ht boys were recruited in 2019.

124. The use of 197 children by the Tatmadaw, in functions such as camp maintenance, brick carrying and rice paddy harvesting, some of which were on an intermittent basis, were verified in Rakhine (196) and Kachin (1) States , mostly at the end of 2019.

125. The detention of 18 boys, between the ages of 15 and 17, by the Myanmar Police was verified, for alleged association with Arakan Army (16) in Rakhine State and with Ta’ang National Liberation Army (TNLA) (2) in Shan State.

126. The killing (41) and maiming (120) of 161 children (108 boys, 51 girls, 2 sex unknown), some as young as 6 months, were verified. The total includes two child casualties from crossfire, which occurred prior to the reporting period and were verified at a later date. Child casualties occurred in Rakhine (95), Shan (50), Kachin (8), Kayin (4), Kayah and Chin (1 each) States, and in Mandalay and Magway Regions (1 each). While responsibility for 136 casualties was unattributed,
25 incidents were attributed to the Tatmadaw. Most of the casualties resulted from crossfire (66), anti-personnel mines and explosive remnants of war (59), shooting (14)
and artillery shelling (12).

127. There were 12 attacks on schools, including one attributed to the Tatmadaw that occurred prior to the reporting period and was verified at a later date, in Rakhine (7), Shan (3), Kachin and Chin (1 each) States. The attacks were attributed to the Tatmadaw (8) and the Arakan Army (2). Two attacks occurred during fighting between the Tatmadaw and TNLA. The attacks involved artillery shelling (5), crossfire and looting (3 each) and shooting (1). The United Nations also verified the military use of 51 schools in Rakhine (44) and Shan (7) States attributed to the Tatmadaw (44), a combined force of the Tatmadaw and Border Guard Police (5), and the Border Guard Police (2).

128. The United Nations verified the abduction of 12 children (6 boys, 6 girls), between the ages of 12 and 17, in Shan State by TNLA (6), Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army (3) and Restoration Council of Shan State/Shan State Army-South (1), and in Kachin State (2) by KIA.

129. Humanitarian access, particularly in Rakhine, Shan and Kachin States, continued to deteriorate owing to insecurity and unpredictable and oner ous governmental travel authorization requirements and processes.

130. I welcome the adoption by the Government of the Child Rights Law, criminalizing the six grave violations against children, and the ratification of the
Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict. I urge the Government to ensure their implementation. I note the efforts towards ending child recruitment by the Government, and the Government’s initiative to create a national plan to prevent killing and maiming and sexual violence, but I urge the Government to address protection gaps by engaging with the country task force to develop a joint action plan, as requested by my Special Representative.

131. I welcome the release of 59 boys and young men and note the disciplinary action taken against 18 military personnel for not following proper recruitment procedures. I urge the Tatmadaw to continue to collaborate with the United Nations in releasing children in compliance with the joint action plan and in expediting the age verification of the remaining 125 recruits who are believed to be children, identified by the United Nations and the Tatmadaw in their joint action plan. I am concerned by the use of children in Rakhine State and call upon the Tatmadaw to immediately cease this practice. The detention for alleged association with armed groups in contravention of the Child Rights Law is concerning. I call upon the Government to treat children formerly associated with armed groups primarily as victims and detain them only as a measure of last resort and for the shortest possible time.

132. As discussed by my Special Representative during her visit in January 2020, I am alarmed by the sharp increase in the number of incidents of killing and maiming, including by anti-personnel mines, and in the number of attacks on and incidents of the military use of schools. Ongoing grave violations against children are extremely worrisome and I call upon all parties t o immediately end violations. I call upon the Government to sign the Safe Schools Declaration and to ratify the Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti -Personnel Mines and on Their Destruction. I urge all part ies to take all possible measures to protect civilians, including by demining and marking contaminated areas.

133. I welcome the engagement of the Democratic Karen Benevolent Army, KIA, the
Karen National Liberation Army, Karen National Union/Karen Nation al Liberation

Army Peace Council, and the Karenni Army and Shan State Army, with the United Nations, including the release of 25 children (17 boys, 8 girls) by KIA, and urge them to sign joint commitments to end and prevent the recruitment and use of child ren.

134. I am extremely worried by persistent access restrictions in some States and call upon all parties to allow access to the United Nations and child protection actors for humanitarian and monitoring purposes.

135. I urge all parties to engage in n ational peace dialogues and use the “Practical guidance for mediators” to place children at the heart of discussions

Somalia
136. The United Nations verified 3,709 grave violations against 2,959 children
(2,436 boys, 523 girls).

137. The recruitment and use of 1,442 boys and 53 girls was verified, with some children as young as 8. Al -Shabaab remained the main perpetrator (1,169); followed by government security forces, including the Somali Police Force (100) and the Somali National Arm y (74); and regional forces, including Puntland forces (40), Galmudug forces (30), Jubbaland forces (19), Galmudug police (4) and Jubbaland police (1). Violations were also attributed to clan militia (56) and the Westland militia (2). A total of 300 childr en were used in support roles such as escorts, guards at checkpoints and for cleaning, and 269 children were used as fighters.

138. A total of 236 children, between the ages of 13 and 17, were detained for alleged association with armed groups by the Soma li Police Force (164), the Somali National Army (37), Jubbaland forces (24), the National Intelligence and Security Agency (7) and Galmudug forces (4).

139. A total of 703 children were killed (222) or maimed (481) (518 boys, 185 girls). The casualties were attributed to Al-Shabaab (252); government security forces, including the Somali National Army (43) and the Somali Police Force (35); and regional forces, including Jubbaland forces (19), Galmudug forces (10), Puntland forces (5), Jubbaland police (3), Galmudug police (2) and Southwest forces (1). Violations were also attributed to clan militias (28), the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) (5), the Kenya Defence Forces (3), the Ethiopian National Defence Forces (1) and unidentified armed elements (296). The main causes of child casualties were improvised explosive devices (158), crossfire between armed forces and armed groups (155), gun shots (127) and explosive remnants of war (54).

140. Responsibility for rape and other forms of sexual violence a gainst 227 girls was attributed to government security forces, including the Somali National Army (25) and the Somali Police Force (14), and to regional forces including Jubbaland forces (16), Galmudug forces (5), Southwest forces (3) Puntland forces and J ubbaland police (1 each). Al-Shabaab (26), clan militias (17) and the Westland militia (1) were also responsible for violations. One violation each was attributed to the Ethiopian National Defence Forces and AMISOM, respectively. In 116 cases, perpetrators could not be identified. The cases of sexual violence included rape (148), attempted rape (42), forced marriage (19), sexual harassment (17) and sexual assault (1).

141. A total of 76 attacks on schools (64) and hospitals (12) were attributed to
Al-Shabaab (60), government security forces (including Somali National Army (5) and Somali Police Force (1)), clan militia (4), Galmudug forces (2), AMISOM (1) and unidentified perpetrators (2). Incidents included the abduction of teachers and pupils, the killing of and threats against teachers, and the destruction and looting of facilities. In addition, one school was used for military purposes by the Somali Police Force and one health centre was used by clan militias.

142. A total of 1,158 children (1,065 boys, 9 3 girls) were abducted, the overwhelming majority by Al-Shabaab (1,142), mainly for the purpose of recruitment and use. Other perpetrators include unidentified armed elements (11), Westland militia (4) and clan militias (1).

143. Responsibility for 50 inc idents of the denial of humanitarian access were attributed to Al-Shabaab (22), clan militias (12), unidentified armed elements (6), Galmudug forces (4), Jubbaland forces (2), as well as the National Intelligence and Security Agency, Southwest forces, Punt land police and Puntland administration
(1 each). Incidents included threats and violence against humanitarian personnel and assets, the abduction or detention of personnel and beneficiaries, entry restrictions, disruption and looting.

144. I welcome the signature between the Federal Government and my Special Representative, in October, of a road map to expedite the implementation of the 2012 action plans on ending and preventing the recruitment and use and the killing and
maiming of children. It includes renewed commitments to protect children, and I call upon the Federal Government to fully implement the commitments, including at the level of the federal member states.

145. High numbers of grave violations committed against children by all parties to conflict in Somalia are concerning, in particular the staggering numbers of child abductions and the recruitment and use of children by Al -Shabaab. Also concerning is the growing number of violations attributed to government sec urity forces, in particular the sharp increase in the recruitment and use and the killing and maiming of children, as well as sexual violence perpetrated against children and attributed to the Somali Police Force and regional forces, and the detention of c hildren for their actual or alleged association with armed groups. I call upon all parties to immediately cease all violations and abide by their obligations under international humanitarian law and international human rights law.

146. I urge the Federal Government to treat children formerly associated with armed groups primarily as victims in line with the best interests of the child, according to the Principles and Guidelines on Children Associated with Armed Forces or Armed Groups (the Paris Principles), as endorsed by Somalia, and to fully apply the 2014 standard operating procedures for the handover of children, including at the federal member state level. I urge the Government to fast -track the adoption of legislation, including the child rights bill.

147. I reiterate the recommendations from my report on children and armed conflict in Somalia (S/2020/174).

Yemen
185. The United Nations verified 4,042 grave v iolations against 2,159 children
(1,708 boys, 451 girls).

186. The recruitment and use of 686 children (643 boys, 43 girls) was attributed to the Houthis/Ansar Allah (previously the Houthis) (482), Yemeni armed forces (136), Security Belt Forces (41), Shabwani Elite Forces (14), unidentified armed elements (7), popular committees (4), a Salafist armed group and Hirak Southern Movement (1 each). Most children served in combat roles (514), 19 per cent of whom were below the age of 15.

187. The United Nations verified the deprivation of liberty and/or detention of
97 boys between the ages of 12 and 16, by the Houthis/Ansar Allah (previously the Houthis) (68), Yemeni armed forces (26) and the Coalition to Support Legitimacy in Yemen (3) for their alleged association with opposing parties. Children were held for periods ranging from six months to three years. Among those children, 25 were captured and detained by the Coalition and handed over to the Government of Yemen, who further detained them before releasing them into an interim care centre in Ma’rib in October 2019. A total of 93 children were released as of January 2020, including the 68 who had been held by the Houthis/Ansar Allah (previously the Houthis).

188. Killing (395) and maiming (1,052) of 1,447 children (1,041 boys, 406 girls) was attributed to the Houthis/Ansar Allah (previously the Houthis) (313), the Coalition (222), the Yemeni armed forces (96), popular committees (40), Security Belt Forces (11), Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (5) and ISIL (2). Responsibility for 482 child casualties could not be attribu ted and a further 276 casualties occurred during crossfire between various parties to the conflict. Of the total number of casualties, 865 resulted from ground fighting, 306 from landmines and explosive

remnants of war, 171 from air strikes, and 68 from bo mbs, including suicide and attacks with the use of improvised explosive devices. Hudaydah, Ta‘izz and Dali‘ Governorates were the most affected.

189. Incidents of sexual violence against three boys by the Houthis/Ansar Allah (previously the Houthis) and o ne girl by the Yemeni armed forces, between the ages of 12 and 16, were verified. The lack of access to conflict -affected areas, stigma and the fear of retaliation remain reasons for underreporting of this violation.

190. There were 35 attacks on schools ( 20) and hospitals (15). The attacks were attributed to the Houthis/Ansar Allah (previously the Houthis) (15), the Yemeni armed forces (6), the Coalition (4), Security Belt Forces (2) and Shabwani Elite Forces (1). Responsibility for four attacks could not be attributed and three occurred in the context of confrontations between the Yemeni armed forces and popular committees (2) and between the Yemeni armed forces and the Houthis/Ansar Allah (previously the Houthis) (1). Most attacks occurred in Dali‘ (15) a nd Ta‘izz (13) Governorates.

191. The military use of 37 schools was attributed to the Houthis/Ansar Allah (previously the Houthis) (35), the popular committees (1) and an unidentified armed group (1). The military use of three hospitals by the Houthis/An sar Allah ( previously the Houthis) (2) and the Yemeni armed forces (1) was also verified.

192. The United Nations verified the abduction of 22 children (21 boys, 1 girl) by the Houthis/Ansar Allah (previously the Houthis) (19), Security Belt Forces (2) a nd popular committees (1). In most cases, children were used for recruitment, while the girl was abducted for marriage.

193. A total of 1,848 incidents of the denial of humanitarian access were attributed to the Houthis/Ansar Allah (previously the Houthis) (1,553), the Coalition (186) and the Yemeni armed forces and other components of the Government (109). This represents a dramatic increase from the figure recorded for 2018 and involved restrictions of movements within the country, interference with the d elivery of humanitarian assistance, violence against humanitarian personnel, assets and facilities, and restrictions of movement into the country. Denials were prevalent in Sana’a and Amanat Al-Asimah Governorates, followed by governorates adjacent to active frontlines, including Hudaydah, Ibb, Hajjah and Sa‘dah.

194. I welcome the continued commitment of the Government of Yemen to protect conflict-affected children, including through its interim care centre in Ma’rib, through which children are reunited with their families, and I encourage further efforts, including the adoption of a handover protocol on the release of children. The implementation of its action plan and road map progressed in the first half of 2019, with the appointment of 90 child protection focal points within the Yemeni armed forces, 40 of whom were trained to identify associated children. That progress stalled, however, in August 2019, with tensions erupting between the Government and the southern transitional council. In this context, the political directive issued by the President in February 2020, instructing all forces to comply with the action plan and road map, is welcomed.

195. I commend the endorsement of a programme of time -bound activities by the Coalition, through an exchange of letters with my Special Representative, in order to support the implementation of the memorandum of understanding signed in March
2019. I am encouraged by the efforts demonstrated in the context of the memorandum and call upon the Coalition to expedite the implementation of agreed activities, including accountability provisions. I note the decrease in child casualties attributed to the Coalition in 2019.

196. I am encouraged by the ongoing dialogue with the Houthis/Ansar Al lah (previously the Houthis) to develop an action plan to end and prevent violations for which they are listed, and the military use of schools. I note that a senior focal point and technical committee were appointed and that a directive for the handover o f children captured and/or detained during military operations was signed in April
2020. I welcome the release of 68 children detained for association with opposition parties by the Houthis/Ansar Allah (previously the Houthis) in early 2020 and urge that their reintegration be prioritized.

197. I am extremely worried, however, about the rise in the overall number of grave violations, including the continued recruitment of children by parties to conflict, and in particular by the Houthis/Ansar Allah (previously the Houthis), and the shrinking space for humanitarians in Yemen.

198. I urge all parties to abide by their obligations and responsibilities under international law and to take all measures necessary to end and prevent violations and facilitate humanitarian access to children.

199. I welcome the progress made towards ending the conflict that is the cause of this suffering. I urge all parties to continue their negotiations to bring lasting peace to Yemen.

India/Jammu and Kashmir
200. The United Nations verified the killing (8) and maiming (7) of 15 children (13 boys, 2 girls), between the ages of 1 and 17, by or during joint operations of the Central Reserve Police Force, the Indian Army (Rashtriya Rifles) and the Special Operations Group of the Jammu and Kashmir Police (10), Lashkar -e-Tayyiba (1), unidentified armed elements (1), or during shelling across the line of control (3). The casualties that occurred in Jammu and Kashmir were mainly caused by torture in detention, shootings, including from pellet guns, and cross -border shelling.

201. The United Nations verified attacks on nine schools in Jammu and Kashmir by unidentified elements.

202. Of concern, 68 children between the age s of 9 and 17 have been detained by Indian security services in Jammu and Kashmir on national security -related charges, including 1 for actual or alleged association with armed groups.

203. In Jharkhand State, approximately 10 children were reportedly resc ued by Indian police from Naxalite insurgency groups, who allegedly abducted them or used them in support or combat capacities.

204. I remain concerned by child casualties in Jammu and Kashmir and call upon the Government to take preventive measures to protect children, including by ending the use of pellets against children. I am concerned by the detention of children, including their arrest during night raids, internment at army camps, torture in detention and detention without charge or due process, and urge the Government to immediately end this practice. I note that the Government conducted age verification for some detainees and urge for its systematization. I note the decline, as a result of government efforts, in the number of reports of child recruitment and of the killing and maiming of children relating to the Naxalite insurgency. However, children’s access to education and health services continues to be of concern owing to this insurgency, in

particular in Chhattisg arh and Jharkhand States. I am concerned by attacks on schools, yet I am encouraged that the Government has commenced legal proceedings against the perpetrators.

205. I reiterate my encouragement to the Government to put in place national preventive and accountability measures for all grave violations, as soon as possible.

Pakistan
217. A total of 23 children (2 boys, 4 girls, 17 sex unknown) were reportedly killed (5) and injured (18) during armed clashes or by shelling or targeted fire across the line of control (10), by improvised explosive devices (3) and explosive remnants of war (10) in Pakistan -administered Kashmir, Punjab, Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Provinces. Responsibility could not be attributed for any of those casualties.

218. Three attacks against schools (2) and hospitals (1) were reported, but responsibility was not attributed. The two schools in P akistan-administered Kashmir were reportedly attacked across the line of control. The hospital in Balochistan Province was attacked with the use of an improvised explosive device. The Global Polio Eradication Initiative reported over 660 attacks or threats of attacks against its staff and facilities, mostly in Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Provinces.

219. I welcome the Government’s continued efforts to protect the workers who are conducting the polio campaign. I note the decrease in the number of attacks against schools and in the number of child casualties, but call upon the Government to continue preventive measures to protect children, especially around the line of control. I reiterate my call for the Government to endorse the Safe Schools Declaration and to protect schools.

Not everything is included for more info:
https://www.un.org/sg/sites/www.un....2020_Secretary-General_Report_on_CAAC_Eng.pdf

Back
Top Bottom