What's new

Underground Runways

Status
Not open for further replies.
pp_26016_1_1208483803.jpg

Hi,

Only underground shelters---that is all there is to it----when you have nature helping you---why not-----but there are no underground runways from where the planes can take off and land.

Now with the deep penetrating bombs----these underground shelters are obsolete---you can take out the entry and exit point with the bunker buster smart bombs and you have brought the enemy air operation to a stand still.

I don't think any such specific information would be de-classified and even if someone knew, he won't be talking about it on the forums.

Having said that, I am sure they would have some sort of such facilities either underground or hardened facilities especially after what happened with Egypt, no serious airforce would let its plane in such a vulnerable position.

Plz this is info that is easily available ....no point in hiding attainable info.....

Trishul air-base (of Indian Airforce) is situated in Izzatnagar, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh of India.

It has a squadron of State of the art fighters, the Sukhois and the heptor squadrons. The Trishul air-base in Bareilly had Foxbats capable of flying up to 80,000 feet. Presently, India has positioned its Sukhois only at Bareilly, Pune and Jodhpur. The underground hangar it possess is considered to be one of the largest in Asia.

Trishul Air-base - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All are rumors. I heard that there are also underground/hidden hangers in Gujarat when I was little kid.

Somebody has been watching Swatcats lately it seems.... Ok Has anybody considered the earthquakes and their mayhem to these bases??????

All are rumors. I heard that there are also underground/hidden hangers in Gujarat when I was little kid.

Hearing and knowing are two diffrent aspects.... My family is from UP and my dad has seen the base from far away in his college days as no one is allowed to a far distance

And above all its no secret that the base was used in 1971

Bareilly Trishul Air force Station Bareilly

Map_rajasthan_dist_Barmer.png

Uttarlai military airbase is situated in Barmer district, Uttarlai is India's first under ground airbase. India can counter any insurgency into India by Pakistan. The Battle of Longewala (December 4, 1971 - December 5, 1971) was one of the first major engagements in the Western Sector during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, fought between assaulting Pakistani forces and Indian defenders at the Indian border post of Longewala, in the Thar Desert of the Rajasthan state in India

Trishul air-base (of Indian Airforce) is situated in Izzatnagar, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh of India.

It has a squadron of State of the art fighters, the Sukhois and the heptor squadrons. The Trishul air-base in Bareilly had Foxbats capable of flying up to 80,000 feet. Presently, India has positioned its Sukhois only at Bareilly, Pune and Jodhpur. The underground hangar it possess is considered to be one of the largest in Asia.

Trishul Air-base - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Udhampur base in J&K also has underground hangar...MIG-29 are stationed there.

Sorry to say that I don’t approve of many actions taken by tyrant Kim Jong Il and this idea (underground runway) is perhaps just another one. There are few aspects that need explanation before we even think of operating fighters from underground...

. What if a pilot has to go around or make a missed approach from finals due to any reason, what is he going to do? Slam into a hill??

. During takeoff or landing roll, what if there is an engine failure or a tyre burst and aircraft departs the runway...with no room to manoeuvre the aircraft on sides, what will be an outcome of such emergencies?

. A mentioned by SatishKumar, what about the vortices. Whenever an aircraft lands/takesoff, it generates huge vortices that generally dissipate in few minutes while blowing to the sides of open runways. But operating from a cave, where will they go? Many aircrafts have crashed while flying thru vortices and they pose a great danger to any aircraft type.

. What about the visual cues (horizon, attitude, runway references etc)? During a landing pilots uses a lots of visual cues and especially on short short finals, the landing a made while looking at the far end of runway. While landing in a cave @ 150 knots with no cues and also no place to go around, it’s going to be a big safety hazards.

. I am not sure that how much the aerodynamics or the lift generating capability of wing will suffer while operating from the cave? Also what will be the turbine engines response in such a case? What will be the thrust penalties?

. How much operational advantage will remain or how quickly it can be made re-operational if it’s breached by an attack?

Compare the cost of building such a huge undertaking vis a vis the operational benefits. Its not only 10,000feet long runway that one has to prepare but also huge logistical infrastructure to support the aircraft operations....We are talking of multi Billion $$$$ here....How many countries can afford that? Presently, there are how many operational underground airfields with that operate fast jets? I guess NONE.

IMO, if one is still too adamant to use an underground runway that shall perhaps be used for VTOL aircrafts, helicopters, UAVs , aircraft storage or may be aircraft shelters in which aircrafts can taxi in once they have landed on an open air runway etc ...

All valid and interesting problems to solve - but the general framework under why PAF should consider all creative, innovative and viable ideas, is that Pakistan policy planners need to move away from the notion of strategic depth, or transform this notion such that policy planners will not plan for the abandonment of the population and will instead choose options that can become force multipliers --

I don't want to spoil the Thread but First PAF needs to come up with excellent security measures and take full advantage of Technologies to protect Air Bases before even thinking of over the land or underground runways.

Map_rajasthan_dist_Barmer.png

Uttarlai military airbase is situated in Barmer district, Uttarlai is India's first under ground airbase. India can counter any insurgency into India by Pakistan. The Battle of Longewala (December 4, 1971 - December 5, 1971) was one of the first major engagements in the Western Sector during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, fought between assaulting Pakistani forces and Indian defenders at the Indian border post of Longewala, in the Thar Desert of the Rajasthan state in India

Hi,

Yessir---you are right---that was the time---when traitors in pakistan air force refused to help pak millitary ground forces---pak pilots were living like gods after their performance of 1965.

The courage and aggression of the pak ground troops was negated by the selective inaction of pak air force.

this thread is going no where - best to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom