What's new

United States leads China in ‘real’ medal count

theniubt

Reaction score
Country
China
Through 11 days of the Olympics, China leads the United States in the official IOC medal count. But in Fourth-Place Medal's "real" medal count, a tally that ignores judged activities masquerading as sports, Team USA has a commanding lead over its Asian counterparts.
[Related: Olympic medals' monetary value may shock you]
Our real medal count ignores Olympic disciplines like gymnastics and diving and instead focuses on sports where winners are determined on the field of play. When Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps wins a race, the result is objective and undeniable. Gabby Douglas winning the women's all-around was one of the most memorable moments of the first week. But why did she win a gold over Victoria Komova? Because some judges said she was 0.259 better? It wouldn't be so insulting if we weren't the rubes who accept it like it's real. Gymnastics wins aren't victories, they're subjective decisions based on objective-sounding rules.
So factor all of that out when talking about medal counts. China isn't ahead, the United States is. When you factor out all the judging nonsense in gymnastics, diving, trampoline and judo, Team USA is the decisive leader.

[Related: 22 facts about Michael Phelps' 22 medals]
The bulk of the difference comes from diving and a trampoline. Chinese divers won five golds and six overall medals in London (compared to zero and three for Americans) and four overall medals in trampoline (Americans earned a goose egg).

We've heard the arguments: Tennis has chair umpires and basketball has referees. A bunch of judges peer at the target after every arching round to see whether an arrow is on or over the line. Every sport on the Olympic slate has some judge or official making decisions that can affect the final outcome. But except in very rare occasions -- like a gold-medal basketball game in Munich -- they don't pick the winner. Like rubes, we mindlessly accept that Jordyn Weiber was somehow determined to be 0.232 worse than Douglas in the gymnastics all-around qualification. When diving judges give a 9.0 instead of an 8.5, it's treated like Missy Franklin touching the wall first.
No more! The real medal count cuts through the nonsense and politics. Winning a competition on the field of play is the only way to get to our medal stand.

LINKY

Another example of the US crying. Well, at least it's readers are ashamed of this article, check comments. :rofl:

Unites states has every right to be but77hurt and no one can take that away from them.

Oh god, I knew a Chinese would post this pathetic blog article and was just waiting for it. :hitwall:

Its actually well-timed at the moment because the US is in fact leading the total medal count currently (at least according to the Official Olympic website), but its creation overall was just pathetic.

Before all the vitriol that I expect gets posted on here, I'd like to leave this.

Last edited by a moderator:
They can count it using any method they want.

Why should it bother us? We'll go by the IOC official rankings.

i said that long time ago that america will lead in medals tally.... Infact it seems china going down. Same time india going up (please note that india no match to china in medals tally. Dont compare super mighty china with weak little india).... India did well compared to beijing olympic and our top wrestlers still yet to began.... So more medals will come in india's medal tally.... And we will end up at better ranking compared to beijing olympic.... Same time china's ranking going down.... There were so many threads opened by chinese users declaring china will be no.1 in london olympic.... Well u been proven wrong. There are chinese users saying that china can earn 3 more gold medals.... Well i saw last night america earned 3 gold medals in just 10 minutes.... america will take big lead in next 5 days.... i just wonder how 290 million people beats 1300 million people....

i said that long time ago that america will lead in medals tally.... Infact it seems china going down. Same time india going up (please note that india no match to china in medals tally. Dont compare super mighty china with weak little india).... India did well compared to beijing olympic and our top wrestlers still yet to began.... So more medals will come in india's medal tally.... And we will end up at better ranking compared to beijing olympic.... Same time china's ranking going down.... There were so many threads opened by chinese users declaring china will be no.1 in london olympic.... Well u been proven wrong. There are chinese users saying that china can earn 3 more gold medals.... Well i saw last night america earned 3 gold medals in just 10 minutes.... america will take big lead in next 5 days.... i just wonder how 290 million people beats 1300 million people....

We should not diss the fact that China is the only developing nation that really makes an impact in the sports events like olympics.. Compare those 1300 million people with our 1200 million.. Give credit where credit's due..

Chinese always go for cheap tricks to maintain their fake superiority

So the ticker on BBC is for the "fake" medal count?

So factor all of that out when talking about medal counts. China isn't ahead, the United States is. When you factor out all the judging nonsense in gymnastics, diving, trampoline and judo, Team USA is the decisive leader.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...ads-china-real-medal-count.html#ixzz233IHRfZD

Another example of the US crying. Well, at least it's readers are ashamed of this article, check comments. :rofl:
Idiots! Grapes are sour, what? According to the Yanks, gymnastics, diving, trampoline and judo should not be really Olympic sports due to subjective judgement!

Then in the same vein, boxing, Karate, Judo, Wrestling, Synchronized swimming, equestrian, Dressage - all should be axed since judges decide the winners and therefore subjective according to the Yanks!

WTF? :cheesy:

LINKY

in christian something website it listed US as top when US had less gold but more total number of medals, same with yahoo, what cry babies

Back
Top Bottom