What's new

Unyielding Valor: Pakistan Army's Rescue Operation During a Plane Crash

Allah only helps those who help themselves.
Its a country of 200 million plus n an army of million plus.

Their r a lot of ppl who are working very diligently day n night for the benefit of Pakistan n its army.

Even with all our faults we as a country have achieved alot n the army is no exception.......even though we could have done alot more.

Before we go around pointing fingers we need to take good look at our selves individually.....if we want our institutions to improve we first need to change our ways individually.

The rescue was a joint operation at best

Videos from the crash site obtained by Dawn.com showed bodies buried underneath rubble and residents gathering in streets littered with debris while Rangers and Sindh police carried out rescue operations.

Another video showed Edhi workers and firefighters hosing down the remains of the aircraft and searching for survivors.

Also PIA should have been shut-down after this crash.

Based on the initial report, Khan held the pilot, the cabin crew, and the Air Traffic Control (ATC) responsible for the plane crash which resulted in the deaths of 97 out of 99 persons on board the flight, the Express Tribune reported.

"The pilot and the ATC did not follow the procedure. The plane was 100 per cent okay," said the minister, eliminating the possibility of technical faults in the aircraft.

@Signalian , it would be smarter to lie a little low for the time being. These regular threads trying to highlight the good deeds is having the exact opposite impact due to the current political situation.
Do an assessment by posting a small thread and seeing the responses before going full bore again.
Why should I be bothered about responses 😳

The world is not run on thoughts of PDF members. Haters can hate. That’s not going to stop anything, any project, etc in real life.

Even with all our faults we as a country have achieved alot n the army is no exception.......even though we could have done alot more.

We haven't achieved 💩

That's why people are mass immigrating and extensive amounts of brain drain is happening.

Army never achieved anything either.

Before we go around pointing fingers we need to take good look at our selves individually.....if we want our institutions to improve we first need to change our ways individually.

Faujeets say this then also support an institution (Army) that relies extensively on nepotism and plunders merit.

Why should I be bothered about responses 😳

The world is not run on thoughts of PDF members. Haters can hate. That’s not going to stop anything, any project, etc in real life.

Pakistan's economic situation is very bad and nobody is happy. There is much anger and reaction from within Pakistan as well but people do not want to destroy the country.

Bajwa and Co. courted corrupt politicians to get back at Khan? This is shameful development.

Now Pakistan Army claims to fix Pakistan's economy. People are rolling their eyes for real.
Not sure how Pakistan will move forward by whitewashing corruption of corrupt politicians.
Uncertain future.

They were probably helping so they can gather plane scarp, scrap metal ki market buhat bari hai... Fauji Scraps hum ka kachra kharden gay :D

Pakistan's economic situation is very bad and nobody is happy. There is much anger and reaction from within Pakistan as well but people do not want to destroy the country.

Bajwa and Co. courted corrupt politicians to get back at Khan? This is shameful development.

Now Pakistan Army claims to fix Pakistan's economy. People are rolling their eyes for real.
Not sure how Pakistan will move forward by whitewashing corruption of corrupt politicians.
Uncertain future.
That doesn’t mean PA will stop its usual routine, exercises, trainings, promotions, operations, projects, or shut down its institutions. The dry day will be there, one day a week, meaning no usual movement of vehicles that day to save petrol. The recruiting process will continue so will the retiring process. PA will operate as normal as PA is not dependent upon people views for its functioning.

Pakistanis can discuss politics even when it doesn’t affect their personal lives. U can see how political threads and political replies thrive in this forum. No technical, strategic, tactical, innovative or creative discussion on any topic regarding economy or science or solutions regarding current condition of Pakistan. Just cursing and abusing in one liners.

I feel guilt of something and that is just like other expats, me and others invested in plots as that was considered safe living abroad. Although we were from technical background, we didn’t invest in R&D, as we thought property is safe and that’s correct. Property is safe. We played safe, unfortunately we didn’t think at that time that investing in a R&D company or a R&D startup would benefit Pakistan. The charity work was there but it’s the R&D in different domains where money was required. I knew acquaintances, colleagues, friends etc sitting in KSA, DXB, Kuwait, Egypt, African countries, Malaysia, then UK, USA, Australia etc - all invested salaries in property through contracting mostly as engineers/managers. I feel bad for this now.

That doesn’t mean PA will stop its usual routine, exercises, trainings, promotions, operations, projects, or shut down its institutions. The dry day will be there, one day a week, meaning no usual movement of vehicles that day to save petrol. The recruiting process will continue so will the retiring process. PA will operate as normal as PA is not dependent upon people views for its functioning.

Pakistanis can discuss politics even when it doesn’t affect their personal lives. U can see how political threads and political replies thrive in this forum. No technical, strategic, tactical, innovative or creative discussion on any topic regarding economy or science or solutions regarding current condition of Pakistan. Just cursing and abusing in one liners.

I feel guilt of something and that is just like other expats, me and others invested in plots as that was considered safe living abroad. Although we were from technical background, we didn’t invest in R&D, as we thought property is safe and that’s correct. Property is safe. We played safe, unfortunately we didn’t think at that time that investing in a R&D company or a R&D startup would benefit Pakistan. The charity work was there but it’s the R&D in different domains where money was required. I knew acquaintances, colleagues, friends etc sitting in KSA, DXB, Kuwait, Egypt, African countries, Malaysia, then UK, USA, Australia etc - all invested salaries in property through contracting mostly as engineers/managers. I feel bad for this now.

I understand, bro.
Please keep posting.
Your contributions are appreciated.

Why should I be bothered about responses
You should be, since your aim is to improve the image of the establishment in the eyes of the your folks. If the effort is yielding opposite affect, then change of strategy may be a good idea.
That is also true. I would also do same thing if the thoughts were against India, since India would get such thoughts in ample quantity on this forum.
However, the same can’t be said for PA. If > 80-85% % thoughts or views are against PA, on a Paksiatni forum, then one should be a little concerned.

As far as valour is concerned in natural calamities, it is not a favour, but duty of armed forces to be called-in and participate in rescue. It is in their charter of duties, in most of the nations. Being well trained and highly organised, they do play a good role whenever called for such duties. Hence they aren’t doing any favour. So nothing to gloat about here and try to get some brownie points.

Your establishment has failed the nation on bigger fronts. These little tit bits of valour can’t hide those.

Army has been and will remain at the forefront of helping the nation during national calamities. Rescue operations like a plane crash symbolize deep love, association and care of the Army for the nation.

03287fcce194dbd958c2ec5b33705912.jpg

"Dua-e-Sakina, the use of mobile phone is not advisable and safe for kids. Let's go to the market and buy batteries for your toys.” It was 1100 hours on May 22, 2020, when I, Lieutenant Colonel Ghayyur Abbas advised her younger daughter on the pros and cons of using mobiles. Later, he went to the market and brought batteries for the toys. Dua got busy with her brother and sister playing with the toys, and I placed the mobile phone away from the reach of children in one of the rooms.

f30a31bcad7560324b3249ba66ccf7aa.jpg

As it was the first day of the Eid holiday, and due to the threat of COVID-19 in Karachi, HQ 25 Mechanized Division decided to open Askari Star Mall so that families could buy necessary items from within the Cantonment area to remain safe from the rapidly spreading coronavirus.

At 1500 hours on May 22, when I went to pick up my mobile phone to go to Askari Star Mall along with my family, I noticed a number of missed calls from Division staff, including General Officer Commanding (GOC) 25 Mechanized Division and Commissioner Karachi. I immediately contacted GOC, who informed me that ten minutes earlier, PIA’s Airbus A320, Flight PK-8303 had crashed in Karachi. GOC 25 Mechanized Division, Major General Muhammad Aqeel ordered me to reach Model Colony to conduct a rescue operation where the PIA plane had crashed, while details of damage were still unknown. At that time, I was commanding an Engineers unit in Karachi and had experience in rescue operations on numerous occasions in Karachi. On reaching the site, I received a call from the then Chief of Staff, 5 Corps (now GOC 45 Engineers Division) Major General Abdus Sami to assess the damage on the ground caused due to the plane crash in a densely populated area of Model Colony. The locals informed me that a family was entrapped in a house, owned by Mr. Faisal, where the main fuselage and engine were on fire. There was no direct access to the house through the street due to the aircraft being set on fire right at the house's main gate, which prompted me to climb the rooftop of a three-story house just beside the burning tail of the aircraft.

5e632913bf096e49880cf8b92d53c9ad.jpg

I went from one rooftop to the next without any stairs and reached the house where the whole family was entrapped. I saw a lady who was 50 percent burnt and was screaming because of severe burn injuries. That lady was evacuated single-handedly through rooftops besides having a frozen shoulder–an injury that had occurred in Siachen’s Gyong Sector–and her life was saved. There were 16 more family members (eight kids, three males and five females) in chaos. I closed the doors of the house to stop the entry of smoke and unauthorized people into the house and deputed my runner to ensure security at the owner's request. In the meantime, GOC 25 Mechanized Division and Chief of Staff 5 Corps also shared videos of the site made through aerial reconnaissance by 7 Army Aviation Squadron. Based on site conditions, within no time, I managed the site by deputing men and plant machinery of my unit in a narrow street, which had only one approach and was closed off from all other sides by 2-3 storey buildings. I also arranged Edhi and Chhipa ambulances for covering the burnt dead bodies in a coffin and further transportation to mortuaries. On the request of Commissioner Karachi, Mr. Iftikhar Shilwani also incorporated the Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) team Karachi along with his men, who worked non-stop for the next 13 hours on his instructions.

At around 2300 hours late at night, the Army’s USAR team also reached Karachi, equipped with much-sophisticated equipment. The officer ensured building up an environment (complete silence) to deploy USAR equipment to look for any sign of life in the burnt debris of PK-8303. When no sign of life was found, rescue operation to recover the dead bodies was started again. Meanwhile, I also briefed Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of PIA, Air Marshal Arshad Malik, HI (M) and Commander 5 Corps about the ongoing operations during their visit to the site. During the abovementioned rescue operation, from 2215 hours on May 2020 until 2305 hours on May 2020, 97 dead bodies were retrieved. The next day, the complete wreckage of the plane was also shifted to Jinnah terminal, and all evidence was saved while keeping PIA authorities onboard. I, along with my team, searched the black box and video recorder, which were handed over to PIA authorities.

c55d22f5c88cc6f04c0bb2e0025dd70b.jpg

Owing to the lifting of the human load and continuous rescue operation, my right eye’s retina got hemorrhage resulting in internal bleeding, blurred vision and sensitivity of eyes to light. Due to the degree of severity and seriousness of the wound, doctors of Agha Khan Hospital executed laser surgery on my bleeding eye. After the termination of the said internal security rescue operation, I was awarded a Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) Commendation Card, DO letter from Major General Muhammad Aqeel, GOC 25 Mechanized Division, and an appreciation letter from Air Marshal Arshad Malik, HI (M), CEO PIA. I was also declared war-wounded for my services in conducting a continued rescue operation besides having a bleeding eye.
Army has been and will remain at the forefront of helping the nation during national calamities. Rescue operations like a plane crash symbolize deep love, association and care of the Army for the nation. May Allah keep Pakistan safe from such incidents in the future. Amen!

The author is a graduate of Military College of Engineering Risalpur and Command and Staff College Quetta. During his service, he has planned and executed numerous rescue operations which includes rescue operations at M2 Motorway in 2007, four major building collapses in Karachi from 2019-2021, rescue operation PK-8303 in May 2020 and flood rescue operations in 2019, 2020 and 2021. Presently, he is serving as General Staff Officer Grade 1 at Headquarters Engineers 30 Corps.

Email: rukhehaider@gmail.com

Aakh thuu on hafiz kutta & all their boot lickers

Ask Iraq, Syria and Libya what a calamity is you silly Hindjew.
We have lost half part of our country in the presence of these coward mother sellers , land grabbers fascist morons , and you are lecturing us on iraq syria ? BC sadam preferred to die for the country but he never sold his Nation to jewish dogs , syria military kept resisting until the victory against evil terrorists sponsored by USA and its stooges , humary ye maa k L civilians ko mar rahy , ladies ko agwah kar k unko nanga kar rahy , judges sa apni marzi k faisly kara rahy

Last edited:
You should be, since your aim is to improve the image of the establishment in the eyes of the your folks.
Not at all. I post what’s good about PA, the rest of forum posts what’s bad about PA. Both are true but the good is also out there and it exists and that’s what I will keep on posting.

If somebody thinks that PA did all the worst that could happen to Pakistan - who cares, PA is still here, PA will do what it deems necessary and PA will keep doing what it thinks is right for Pakistan.

If there’s a disaster in Pakistan, PA will send its troops. If PA had to make a disaster, it will send troops. If PA has to create disaster for someone or Indian Army, it will send its troops.

If nobody likes PA, not even Pakistanis then they shouldn’t join PA.

You should be, since your aim is to improve the image of the establishment in the eyes of the your folks. If the effort is yielding opposite affect, then change of strategy may be a good idea.

That is also true. I would also do same thing if the thoughts were against India, since India would get such thoughts in ample quantity on this forum.
However, the same can’t be said for PA. If > 80-85% % thoughts or views are against PA, on a Paksiatni forum, then one should be a little concerned.

As far as valour is concerned in natural calamities, it is not a favour, but duty of armed forces to be called-in and participate in rescue. It is in their charter of duties, in most of the nations. Being well trained and highly organised, they do play a good role whenever called for such duties. Hence they aren’t doing any favour. So nothing to gloat about here and try to get some brownie points.

Your establishment has failed the nation on bigger fronts. These little tit bits of valour can’t hide those.
This Imran khan was the same guy who bend down in front of Army to come into power and couldn’t stop praising Bajwa. When the tables turned, he started spitting venom against Army.

No one is an Angel here, not IK not Bajwa.

As for PA coming towards aiding duties when asked by state like a disaster, PA can say no and it has said no about elections.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom