What's new

US 6th Gen fighter NGAD to have a radar cross section of a BB pellet

And US 6th gen jet??? and i should say tempest will be 5.5 gen and Franco- German program will be 6th gen, in my opinion

That is the toppic of this thread and so no need to mention US fighter will be 6th gen.

No basis to say that Franco-German will be 6th gen and Tempest 5.5 gen.

UK has the best jet engine technology in the world on par with the US and it also has massive stealth experience as it had 25% workshare on the F-35. UK companies fabricate sections of the F-35 fuselage.

Franco-German fighter only has Rafale as it's legacy and the French engine tech is weaker than the UK for sure. 5.5 gen it will be and will be outclassed by even the Chinese 6th gen fighter which will be the next step after J-20.

In terms of capability for next gen fighters expect the following.

1. US ~ UK - Slight edge to US

2. China

3. Franco-German fighter.

Is the Darkstar (from Top Gun Maverick) or something similar the NGAD?

There have been hints that it is larger then a fighter but smaller then a bomber due to the desire to for it to have powerful electrical power to supply a laser. Perhaps a bit of disinformation but it’s not out of realm of possibility.

Is the Darkstar (from Top Gun Maverick) or something similar the NGAD?

There have been hints that it is larger then a fighter but smaller then a bomber due to the desire to for it to have powerful electrical power to supply a laser. Perhaps a bit of disinformation but it’s not out of realm of possibility.

It would be the ultimate in trolling if a real jet comes out of LM that looks like Dark Star !! I would not put it past them.

The question is - if the dark star makes aerodynamic sense ( putting aside the Mach 10 stuff in the film ( spoilers!!! ) )..

It would be the ultimate in trolling if a real jet comes out of LM that looks like Dark Star !! I would not put it past them.

The question is - if the dark star makes aerodynamic sense ( putting aside the Mach 10 stuff in the film ( spoilers!!! ) )..
According to the video, a similar plane has been flying for years. It maybe a new way for the DoD and LM to troll China with there own wink and a nod release. I doubt the NGAD will be a Mach 10 aircraft but probably. Similar in performance to the F-22 in speed and altitude but better use of EW and Lasers. Well probably find out in a couple years.

Well, NGAD has already entered EMD phase. That tells me the Air Force has decided on the design and awarded the contract to a single supplier, which is likely Lockheed.

Well, NGAD has already entered EMD phase. That tells me the Air Force has decided on the design and awarded the contract to a single supplier, which is likely Lockheed.

I'm going to bet it will have retractable surfaces for stealth mode but flip back out for agility. For instance this navy plane has no vertical tail surfaces and is very stealthy.

navy-fa-xx.jpg

They could however incorporate movable vertical tail surfaces that flip up when not in stealth mode.

Industry sources say NGAD will be “orders of magnitiude” harder to detect than even the fifth-generation fighters of today, with the same radar cross section as a BB shot. It will also be stealthier in many different bandwidths, rather than optimized against a few key bands of search-and-track radars.

In recent months, F-22s, F-35s, and even older F-117s have been spotted and photographed wearing unusual shiny metallic panels; in some case, over the entire aircraft. The Air Force will not disclose the purpose, but it is likely they are testing potential upgrades for fifth-generation fighters or perhaps a new kind of stealth treatment for NGAD.

Every generation of fighters has this same sell point but the enemy seems to find counters to them. The F117 Nighthawk sucked up billions of public dollars was supposed to be invisible but then suddenly became visible to enemy missiles.

I'm going to bet it will have retractable surfaces for stealth mode but flip back out for agility. For instance this navy plane has no vertical tail surfaces and is very stealthy.

navy-fa-xx.jpg

They could however incorporate movable vertical tail surfaces that flip up when not in stealth mode.
No. Yaw axis stability and control can be done via software. The flight controls system (FLCS) will use pitch and roll axes surfaces to effect yaw axis control. We done that on the F-18 with the speedbrake, then the F-22 and F-35 for supermaneuverability.

Back
Top Bottom