What's new

US asks Pak to pull out of IGP project to qualify for extensive assistance

It is blessing in disguise, Pak can use this demand from US to Debate with Iran for bettering pricing mechanism and also as leverage in Pak afghan Policy as Indian Presence in Afghan will always be a potential threat for Pak energy supply through Wakhan Corridor.So if we have good diplomates thy should bargain with Iran and with US for a None-Indian Afghanistan.

Dont know about which way pakistan will turn, but the screws are certainly being turned on Pakistan.....Now it will be interesting to see if for all its Anti US rants, will Pakistan be able to turn it down and risk all the goodies its expecting :no:

Rubbish. There's no pressure on Pakistan. Pakistan has made it abundantly clear that it'll go ahead with IP project. US demands are irrelevant in this regard. The Chinese have been approached to join the project which will turn it project into IPC. Just a side note fyi. :agree:

Last edited:
Rubbish. There's no pressure on Pakistan. Pakistan has made it abundantly clear that it'll go ahead with IP project. US demands are irrelevant in this regard.

It's not over yet..
As they say in bollywood

Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost...

It's not over yet..
As they say in bollywood

Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost...

Let's differentiate between fiction and reality. Facts are that as for now Pakistan has signed an accord with Iran to make the IP project a reality. India has refused which btw is no problemo. China being a very likely contender has been proposed to join the project and all parties have no issues with that. The Chinese are studying their options and soon we will all hear the good news. In other words, things are going smoothly and there's no reason to believe why Pakistan will not go ahead with this IP project whilst rejecting US bribery. Capiche? :agree:

Let's differentiate between fiction and reality. Facts are that as for now Pakistan has signed an accord with Iran to make the IP project a reality. India has refused which btw is no problemo. China being a very likely contender has been proposed to join the project and all parties have no issues with that. The Chinese are studying their options and soon we will all hear the good news. In other words, things are going smoothly and there's no reason to believe why Pakistan will not go ahead with this IP project whilst rejecting US bribery. Capiche? :agree:

:no:

Well the news is only a day old and US generally does not make these suggestions lightly. The problem for pakistan is that now it has to choose between the IP project (by defying US) or electricity from central Asia via afghanistan(by dumping Iran). This is what they call a devil's alternative. You are worse off than before (when you were planning for both) no matter what you choose..

you capiche? :agree:

Poor Zardari is only being made a scapegoat. remember, Even during the Kerry Lugar Bill, it was the Army who finally authorised and approvedit (disregarding the "street sentiments") and the poor guy got to buy all the brunts.

Narad,

Army in Pakistan is trying its level best to stay out of politics and in spite of wanting to modify the bill or discard it, they accepted whatever minimum made available as a token of apology. KLB is still intact and the same as it was before and Zardari government knew they don't have enough ability and independence to turn the offer down.

:no:

Well the news is only a day old and US generally does not make these suggestions lightly. The problem for pakistan is that now it has to choose between the IP project (by defying US) or electricity from central Asia via afghanistan(by dumping Iran). This is what they call a devil's alternative. You are worse off than before (when you were planning for both) no matter what you choose..

you capiche? :agree:

:agree:

You're just creating an artificial issue that doesn't exist. There's nothing to choose from. The US wants Pakistan to abandon the IP project. Pakistan has in the past on numerous occasions made it abundantly clear that it will not abandon this project. That should clear up the confusion whether Pakistan has to choose from two choices. The IP project will go ahead. It's the US that will have to compromise. Capiche? :cheers: Not a chance in 1000 light years that Pakistan will back stab Iran like India did.

I imagine it would really depend on Chinese.If they go ahead with IGP i have no doubt Pakistan wont ditch it.

:agree:

You're just creating an artificial issue that doesn't exist. There's nothing to choose from. The US wants Pakistan to abandon the IP project. Pakistan has in the past on numerous occasions made it abundantly clear that it will not abandon this project. That should clear up the confusion whether Pakistan has to choose from two choices. The IP project will go ahead. It's the US that will have to compromise. Capiche? :cheers: Not a chance in 1000 light years that Pakistan will back stab Iran like India did.

Agree that US has been after Pakistan for some time on this, but I think this is the 1st time its been linked to energy support that US has recently promised to Pakistan for Energy security. And thats what makes it a devil's alternative.

Also the issue is not of my making. Its your love - hate ally US thats putting Pakistan in this position. I am simply trying to understand on how this will go down

Also India backing out had a lot to do with being dependent on Pakistan for safe transit of gas for India and tarriff issues with Pakistan along with the obvious objections from the US. In the end it came down to choosing this or the Civilian N deal.

Hey.. now this is definitely a bit off the limits...we all know that Pakistan is going through bad times now.We know that US has strong military presence in the country,but that military is in no way there to bully Pakistan.US govt. is taking too many and too much things for granted.Pakistan happens to be an ally on the papers.No country should try to dictate the foreign policy of other countries.

If Pakistan wants to prove itself a strong nation,with the people of Pakistan being the masters of their own will,then i think the GoP should reject the US offer and show the World that they r not being dictated by a foreign power.

Agree that US has been after Pakistan for some time on this, but I think this is the 1st time its been linked to energy support that US has recently promised to Pakistan for Energy security. And thats what makes it a devil's alternative.

Also the issue is not of my making. Its your love - hate ally US thats putting Pakistan in this position. I am simply trying to understand on how this will go down

Also India backing out had a lot to do with being dependent on Pakistan for safe transit of gas for India and tarriff issues with Pakistan along with the obvious objections from the US. In the end it came down to choosing this or the Civilian N deal.

The US is only trying to isolate Iran and that's the main purpose for offering Pakistan such an incentive. Pakistan on the other hand has more than once been stung by the US. Whatever the US wants won't get materialized. I'm quite certain that any Pakistani leader in their right mind will never fall for US traps any more.

Our hate love relation with the US still doesn't mean that we're undecided about this issue. There's no compromise on the issue of IP project. I'm not Nostradamus, but I can predict that the IP project is basically something that will not be reversed.

India got a lucrative deal in the end. I don't blame them for going nuclear. Pakistan won't get the same treatment. Pakistan won't settle for anything less than a similar treatment. That means that the US won't get what it wants from Pakistan. The IP project is a done deal. Period.

Last edited:

As you said lets differentiate between fiction and reality so please follow it as well... I am surprised no indian member is refuting the bolded part or may i have missed some thing as big as India's refusing IPI pipeline...I agree it is on back-burner for some time but off lately new life came into the proposal...One of the irritant that India has is the supply at India-pak border vs Iran's proposal of supply at Iran-Pakistan boder. IN the former case if there is any disruption in the gas flow from Pakistan to India Iran would be the direct looser vs the later case....

The Hindu : News / National : India to give dates for IPI pipeline talks

The Hindu : News / National : India proposes to invest $6.5 billion in Iran gas fields

news.outlookindia.com | Iran-Pak-India Gas Pipeline: India Undecided

India, Iran discuss terror from Pakistan, gas pipeline

As far as putting pressure on Pak is concerned US is doing what suits her national interests i.e. Isolate Iran. Now it is upto Pakistan to see where her National interests lies US goodies or Pipeline....Though it is difficult to ignore US pressure especially in present circumstances when Pakistan sure need $$$ to bail out herself from the economic chaos but i doubt any government will risk public ire by quitting and showing that they buckled under US pressure....

Last edited:
Pakistan in catch 22 situation. Very tough choice. I can't decide what is better .

How credible these "sources" are? I think the US already knows our answer to this.

Back
Top Bottom