What's new

US Ballistic Missile Defence

BMD-Equipped Destroyer USS Porter Arrives in Rota, Spain

May 1, 2015

150430-N-VJ282-685.jpg

The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG-78) arrived in Spain on Thursday to being its ballistic missile defense mission.

Porter will join USS Donald Cook (DDG-75) and USS Ross (DDG-71) in the forward-deployed naval force at Naval Station Rota to carry out the European Phased Adaptive Approach to BMD.

USS Carney (DDG-64) will arrive later this year.

The four ships, which have had their Aegis combat systems upgraded to handle BMD threats, will be responsible for NATO missile defense, maritime security operations, bilateral and multilateral training exercises, and NATO operations and deployments, according to a Navy statement.

Donald Cook arrived in Spain early last year and has gone out on months-long patrols before returning to its home in Rota. Having four destroyers based out of Rota will give the U.S. 6th Fleet flexibility to send the ships out to a variety of locations for a range of missions while at the same time providing a large umbrella of protection for European allies, the Navy statement said.

The European Phased Adaptive Approach (EPAA) is meant to provide protection from short- and medium-range ballistic missile threats originating in the Middle East. EPAA also includes the deployment of land-based Aegis Ashore stations in Romania and Poland.

From BMD-Equipped Destroyer USS Porter Arrives in Rota, Spain - USNI News

===

For some information on US ballistic missile defense targets and countermeasures:

US military news, discussions and history | Page 11

LV-2 ballistic missile target - derived from the Trident C-4
_rac2581_09-mda-4861-28-aug-09-jpg.205822

Last edited:
BMD-Equipped Destroyer USS Porter Arrives in Rota, Spain

150430-N-VJ282-685.jpg

The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG-78) arrived in Spain on Thursday to being its ballistic missile defense mission.

Porter will join USS Donald Cook (DDG-75) and USS Ross (DDG-71) in the forward-deployed naval force at Naval Station Rota to carry out the European Phased Adaptive Approach to BMD.

USS Carney (DDG-64) will arrive later this year.

The four ships, which have had their Aegus combat systems upgraded to handle BMD threats, will be responsible for NATO missile defense, maritime security operations, bilateral and multilateral training exercises, and NATO operations and deployments, according to a Navy statement.

Donald Cook arrived in Spain early last year and has gone out on months-long patrolsbefore returning to its home in Rota. Having four destroyers based out of Rota will give the U.S. 6th Fleet flexibility to send the ships out to a variety of locations for a range of missions while at the same time providing a large umbrella of protection for European allies, the Navy statement said.

The European Phased Adaptive Approach (EPAA) is meant to provide protection from short- and medium-range ballistic missile threats originating in the Middle East. EPAA also includes the deployment of land-based Aegis Ashore stations in Romania and Poland.

===

For some information on US ballistic missile defense targets and countermeasures:

US military news, discussions and history | Page 11

_rac2581_09-mda-4861-28-aug-09-jpg.205822

Bro thanks for the wonderful work that you are doing, but kindly keep the following in mind when posting:
1) Link to the source you are posting from
2) Date of the article
3) Some sort of description of the picture you are posting (in English).

Thanks and keep up the good work :enjoy:

Bro thanks for the wonderful work that you are doing, but kindly keep the following in mind when posting:
1) Link to the source you are posting from
2) Date of the article
3) Some sort of description of the picture you are posting (in English).

Thanks and keep up the good work :enjoy:

The pic I only provided as a teaser, so people would click the link above it for full details. I'll edit (done) the rest and add the source.

*No "bro" either. I'm a lady:D.

Perhaps the famed RFG - the Rod from God?

How much faster would this be? iirc MIRV's hit with Mach 25.

Imho if you manage to put something in it's path, which you likely would be able, as they would be falling towards predetermined targets (thus defended), it would still be a kill on the rod. Or wut?

How much faster would this be? iirc MIRV's hit with Mach 25.

A 2003 report from the US Air Force, who is actively experimenting with RoG type systems, suggested that a 20 ft by 1 ft Tungsten rod could reach a terminal velocity of 7,000 MPH - about Mach 10. Shaped to maximize their terminal speeds (yes, the particles in space will slow down an object, as noted here :We Should Be Able To Detect Spaceships Moving Near The Speed Of Light - and this shape and design do matter at high speeds in space) , a shape that would also improve deep-Earth penetration, a RoG could hit buried targets at practically any depth.

At Mach 10, a 20 X 1 dimension Tungsten rod would have an equivalent TNT yield of 11.5 tons.

At a speed of 36,000 ft/s - the rod of the same dimension would impart an equivalent TNT yield of 120 tons - or 0.12kt.

It's a replacement for city-wide nuclear strikes by allowing for massive destruction on a specific target without punishing the entire population.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2004-06/rods-god

RODS FROM GOD / Imagine a bundle of telephone poles hurtling through space at 7,000 mph - SFGate

According to the ABM and Outer Space Treaties, nuclear weapons are prohibited, but and RoG, being conventional would be allowed:

Outer Space Treaty

Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty

Imho if you manage to put something in it's path, which you likely would be able, as they would be falling towards predetermined targets (thus defended), it would still be a kill on the rod. Or wut?

Does a tanks armor stop kinetic penetrators despite being in the way? An object of significant density and velocity will be able to overcome defense and continue its path, though it will be slowed and it will shed some materials - thus lowering, but not compromising the effectiveness of the kinetic penetration.

Density and velocity are how the current age of kinetic penetrators overcome their targets:

M829

Last edited:
Raytheon's SM-6 moves from low-rate to full-rate production
Milestone clears path for larger quantities, lower costs

TUCSON, Ariz., May 6, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Raytheon Company's (NYSE: RTN) Standard Missile-6 program has moved from low-rate to full-rate production, clearing the path for significantly increased production numbers and focus on further cost-reduction opportunities.

SM-6 is a surface-to-air supersonic missile capable of successfully engaging manned and unmanned aerial vehicles and fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft. It also defends against land-attack and anti-ship cruise missiles in flight.

"SM-6 is proven against a broad range of advanced threats, which makes it very valuable to Combatant Commanders who need and want that flexibility," said Mike Campisi, Standard Missile-6 senior program director. "Full-rate production allows us to significantly ramp up production and deliver to the U.S. Navy the quantities it needs to further increase operational effectiveness."

The first full-rate production round was delivered to the U.S. Navy from Raytheon's state-of-the-art SM-6 and SM-3 all-up-round production facility at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Ala. Prior to final assembly, a majority of the SM-6's section level assembly and testing development took place at Raytheon's subsystem center factory in Tucson, Ariz.

Raytheon has delivered more than 180 missiles to the U.S. Navy, which deployed SM-6 for the first time in December 2013.

About the Standard Missile-6SM-6 delivers a proven over-the-horizon air defense capability by leveraging the time-tested advantages of the Standard Missile's airframe and propulsion.
    • The SM-6 uses both active and semi-active guidance modes and advanced fuzing techniques.

• It incorporates the advanced signal processing and guidance control capabilities from Raytheon's Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile.
Raytheon: Raytheon's SM-6 moves from low-rate to full-rate production - May 6, 2015

Last edited:
A 2003 report from the US Air Force

Any link? I'd require more of those numbers, particularly height of drop and perhaps if it's available study on materials, which one works best. Also, velocities and weight.
*Disclaimer: trying to write a sci-fi book.

Does a tanks armor stop kinetic penetrators despite being in the way? An object of significant density and velocity will be able to overcome defense and continue its path, though it will be slowed and it will shed some materials - thus lowering, but not compromising the effectiveness of the kinetic penetration.

Density and velocity are how the current age of kinetic penetrators overcome their targets:

M829

I'm afraid you misunderstood me. I wasn't talking to some tin pot dictator bunker that waits in the desert to be nuked. I was thinking more along the lines of a defended point (city, mil. installation) with layered ABM defense in place.

If you consider that it's dropped directly overhead, any hit on the rod by defender's missiles would alter trajectory due to blastwave in proximity of the rod in addition to degrade the structure of it. Imho.....

I don't know what the problem is, but non of my posts are showing up - this is the third one I've made and is the least detailed.. The source of the information is a 2003 USAF report called "Space Weapons, Earth Wars"

Idk....i saw it just fine, the moment i logged in today. Already bookmarked so i study it in detail later. Thanks for the link. :cheers:

Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD)
The Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) element provides the Ballistic Missile Defense System (BMDS) with a globally transportable, rapidly deployable capability to intercept and destroy ballistic missiles inside or outside the atmosphere during their final, or terminal, phase of flight.

Overview
  • Land-based element capable of shooting down a ballistic missile both inside and just outside the atmosphere.
  • Highly effective against the asymmetric ballistic missile threats.
  • Uses hit-to-kill technology whereby kinetic energy destroys the incoming warhead.
  • The high-altitude intercept mitigates effects of enemy weapons of mass destruction before they reach the ground.
Details
  • THAAD battery consists of four main components:
    Launcher: Truck-mounted, highly-mobile, able to be stored; interceptors can be fired and rapidly reloaded.
    Interceptors: Eight per launcher.
    Radar: Army Navy/Transportable Radar Surveillance (AN/TPY-2) - Largest air-transportable x-band radar in the world searches, tracks, and discriminates objects and provides updated tracking data to the interceptor.
    Fire Control: Communication and data-management backbone; links THAAD components together; links THAAD to external command and control nodes and to the entire BMDS; plans and executes intercept solutions.
  • Rapidly deployable by being globally transportable via air, land and sea.
Development
  • State-of-the-art engineering ensures high standards and efficient production and maintenance.
  • Comprehensive program of ground and flight tests, quality assurance, and design and development activities support mission success.
  • Major events in the THAAD Program:
    • Returned to flight test on Nov. 22, 2005 at White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico;
    • Completed 13 successful tests, including 11 intercepts, and operationally-realistic tests in March 2009, June 2010, October 2011, October 2012 and September 2013;
    • Continuing element development to incrementally improve missile defense capability.
Procurement
  • First two batteries fielded at Fort Bliss, Texas. Total hardware for Batteries #1 & #2 includes six Launchers, two fire control & communications components, two AN/TPY-2 radars, and 48 interceptors. Delivered 50th operational interceptor in 2012.
  • Battery #3 completed delivery in 2013 and Battery #4 completed delivery in 2014.
  • Battery #5 on contract in 2012 with delivery in 2015.
  • Battery #6 & #7 on contract in 2014.
Fielding
  • Activated five THAAD batteries in 2008, 2009, 2012, 2014, and 2015.
  • Received conditional materiel release of two batteries and transition of operations to the Army in February 2012 and urgent materiel release of another two batteries in December 2014.
  • New Equipment Training (NET) for Battery #4 began in 2014. NET scheduled to begin for Battery #5 in 2015.
MDA - Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD)

1._TH_TFCC.JPG
2._Inside_TFCC.JPG
3._TH_Launcher.jpg
4._TH_Radar.jpg
2012_THAAD_1.jpg
FTO-01_TH_1.jpg
FTO-01_TH_1B.jpg

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/content/dam/lockheed/data/mfc/video/thaad/mfc-thaad-video-01.wmv

@Desertfalcon @Indos Your input on this thread would be appreciated!

Attachments

• thaad.pdf
    70.6 KB · Views: 56
Sometimes I wonder what type of a role missiles will truly play in US BMD beyond 2030. By that time Rail guns and high-powered lasers will come into play for the US Navy, no doubt to shoot down ballistic missiles and MIRVs as part of their requirements. Maybe they will reserve the SM3s for midcourse intercept and RGs + Lasers for terminal intercept? What do guys think?

Sometimes I wonder what type of a role missiles will truly play in US BMD beyond 2030. By that time Rail guns and high-powered lasers will come into play for the US Navy, no doubt to shoot down ballistic missiles and MIRVs as part of their requirements. Maybe they will reserve the SM3s for midcourse intercept and RGs + Lasers for terminal intercept? What do guys think?

Very pertinent question. I'm impressed:enjoy:

Given the fact that technologies that are fielded take years, if not decades, to be perfected and then fielded. Lasers and Rail gun, just make it by 2030, but I don't think missile based BMD will be disbanded so quickly. They still can be used as backup for BMD as well as anti-aircraft.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom