What's new

US blocks more Chinese tech firms on ‘national security’ concerns

You cannot even make 14 nm chips.
SMIC claims that it has developed 14 nm process technology, but isn't in mass production yet. Let's assume that all of SMIC's claims are right, even then SMIC's claims are only about the process. There are multiple things required by SMIC for the process.
We can make 14nm chips, it's in smaller batch production and until the yield stabilizes, then only we can go to commercial scale production. The technology is already there. What do you mean by multiple things? What things exactly? Please clarify, SMIC already announce the success of the technology, but scaling up the production required time.

It needs metrology equipment that NO Chinese company makes, and has to be imported from KLA Tencor. It requires other process equipment that AMEC and other companies don't make. Some of the equipment that AMEC does make is unreliable. And even in the equipment that AMEC does make, there are many many foreign components like lithography lenses etc.
As I stated above, China is behind in only two areas, semiconductor equipment and aircraft engines. I am not so worried about aircraft engine as the goalpost is fixed unlike the ever changing semiconductor sector. My point is currently, we can make legacy chips using existing domestic and imported equipment to satisfy our demands. Some time will be required to reverse engineer and develop those machines. Previously there was no real incentive and push to reverse those machines due to patent infringement. However, under strategic requirement, the government will use appropriation law to confiscate foreign IP. Making them is not the issue here, the issue is making them legally but in the future, the legal environment will change is strategic interests are at hand. The same way US is now considering to forfeit Huawei patents to protect US dominance, two can play at that game. As for lenses, can you please show me where we need to buy the lenses? We have some of the best lens technologies on earth, the largest space lens is made in China.

China produces largest aspheric mirror with potential military, space applications
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1116590.shtml

After that comes the material, almost all of which comes from foreign companies. Then the design of the chip.
China has no alternative to Nvidia.
China has no alternative to Intel's CPUs. China has no alternative to ARM.
If we have no alternatives, then wtf are the Americans so worried right? Common sense buss. We have to use existing ISAs because of interoperability issues, but for strategic sectors, all use Shenwei ISA. If US ban us from Intel/AMD chips we can just use our strategic chips like Shenwei and Longxin. Remember, the worlds fastest supercomputer was once built using Shenwei chips. Again Zhaoxin and Phytium already make chips using foreign cores, but if forced, we can use appropriation laws and deny patent enforcement. I said we can MAKE THEM, I didn't say we can make them LEGALLY. :enjoy:. The thing with India is you can't make nor design any CPU or GPU. Don't give me shit like doing backend R&D for Intel. You can't make any chips yourselves.

For materials, you need to watch a documentary, KJMT, if I am not mistaken is the only company after US/EUROPE/JAPAN having the full semiconductor material production chain. Yes even your beloved Samsung and TSMC don't have this technology. The problem with China is we are trying to do everything ourselves and be the best. Korea and Taiwan are still dependent on a lot of US/West/Japan materials and equipment, but they own the best process technology. So all of them are fragmented, we are the only ones trying to conquer the entire chain.

Even the software that is used for designing the chips, the EDA, China has no homegrown company.
HUADA EDA, GOOGLE IT. Don't be so lazy. Synopsys might be better, but so what? The software is alrady installed in China, we just crack it and pirate it. What's stopping us? Again, I said we can make them, not legally, but you close up our country and isolate us, we can still make it.

Also if you were actually capable of making 14 nm chips, the US ban on Fujian Jinhua wouldn't have been so fatal for Jinhua. Most DRAM chips are actually made at even higher dimension nodes.
Jinhua can make those chips, they have the process, but the equipment is imported, not fully but majority is still imported. You need to understand the difference between process and equipment technology. Samsung can make 7nm chips, but they can't make the equipment. Does that mean Samsung cannot make those chips? :enjoy:

You need to understand the equipment to build 14nm chips is already present in China, albeit imported. The infrastructure is there. So when I say we can make it, it means we can make it. Reversing those equipment might take sometime. From our track record, you should know how determined we are and how fast we do things. Since you assumed we are idiots, who can't understand, absorb and improve technologies, I reckon you think we will forever be like India? :rofl:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom