What's new

US envoy to Pak justified funds as ‘defence’ against ‘threat from India’

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
US envoy to Pak justified funds as ‘defence’ against ‘threat from India’

For years, India has been protesting the steady build-up of the Pakistan military with the help of US funds, only to be told by Washington that the support is meant for shoring up counter-insurgency capabilities. Now, a leaked secret cable has revealed that not only was the US aware that funds earmarked for the Pakistan military were being used to increase its capabilities against India but Washington also encouraged Islamabad’s conventional build-up to “reduce regional tensions”.
A cable dated August 2009 released by whistleblower website WikiLeaks quotes the US Ambassador to Pakistan justifying an additional $1.5 billion to Pakistan to provide for its ‘national defense’ against the ‘threat from India’ and the insurgency on the western border.

While US statements in India have always emphasised that funds allocated to Pakistan are useful for the fight against terror, Ambassador Anne W Patterson elaborated in the cable that FMF money sent to Islamabad ‘is and should continue’ to be directed towards increasing Pakistan’s conventional and counter-insurgency capabilities.

The envoy, who proposes a five year commitment of $300 million annually to the Pakistan military in the cable, justifies the increase by arguing that a stronger military would reduce ‘regional tensions’ and maintain Pakistan as an ally.

“More substantially, enhancing Pakistan’s overall defense posture would help reduce regional tensions by lessening Pakistan’s perceived need to use asymmetric methods to counter regional threats and reduce Pakistan’s sense of inferiority vis-a-vis India. For these reasons our FMF money is and should continue to be directed towards all services and toward conventional as well as counterinsurgency capabilities,” Patterson has written in the cable dispatched to Washington.

“It is important to acknowledge all of Pakistan’s security concerns — both the insurgency along the western border as well as the threat from India. As a sovereign state, the GOP provides for the national defense of Pakistan against those threats... the US must simultaneously stabilize and strengthen Pakistan’s military overall to ensure that the GOP remains a reliable US Ally,” Patterson wrote.

She was also of the view that a strengthened military would deter Pakistan from ‘asymmetrical warfare’ against India. “If the military and government of Pakistan are satisfied with their national defense posture, then it is less likely to engage in asymmetrical warfare to counter what it perceives to be hostile Indian policies and activities both along its eastern border as well as in Afghanistan,” she wrote.

US envoy to Pak justified funds as ‘defence’ against ‘threat from India’ - Indian Express

US is playing double game against everyone non-European it seem, with Pakistan and India.

One says India is no threat to them while the next says use it against India... Whats going on. come to a conclusion please.

Isnt it obvious from the start. Those who believe other wise are naive. No matter what they say in India, US was and still is aware of Pakistans concern and that Pakistan uses funds for their conventional build up as well as COIN capabilities. The F-16 deal can be seen in this regard.

What is there not to understand.. simply every nation as a right to defend its self and it shall and so are we and we shall simply .. first check your self before crying in tears about others. Second US is a double player forsure and always have been one and always will be don't get so happy if they come in your house to have a drink cuz in reality they have already been to several other houses before you and you won't be the last house on the list of suckers . Third India is a threat to Pakistan and viseversa perhaps always will be untill you stop crying and also stop your dreams about finshing Pakistan talk about peace and friendship we are a not sucker nation that will give in and give you what you want we will fight to the end give u a fight face to face and maybe the story can be told from the indian side as well both nations have the power to give a well worth punch both are here to stay so why act all tough and hard when you know you will have to think three times before doing anything and that goes for both nations. Please think about peace & friendship rather then war don't let the US or anyone else trick you in to war of madness like the british did to us in the past that will only bring us both back to the stone age i rest my case.

Great thread. This is an eye opener. This shows how hypocritical these ditry Americans are. On the one hand Hilary Clinton is snuggling up to India and stroking Indias ego and on the other hand whilst having a cup of tea with them they are poisoning it and stabbing them in the back. I think the best for India and Pakistan is that we see the true extent of their lies and never trust them or take them on face value. I dont want to build up any more exotic expensive weapons of war building up on our border pointing in Indias direction. I dont want anymore deaths due to our differences and America encourage it. I want our countries to look at events like this and work together to have a peaceful life.

Reason behind US funding of Pakistan Army build up could be to force India to purchase more from US which they did. :drag:

Another reminder as to why we should not trust in the U.S overt demonstrations of strategic partnership and look out for Indian interests first. Our politicians should also realize the futility of any U.S assurance to check the flow of terrorists from territories outside India and take measures as required to neutralize them. Depending on the U.S will never work , its time these eye-openers make the government more assertive of Indian interests when dealing with U.S , China , Pakistan ...countries directly involved in our regional geo-politics .

And what is War on Terror...................If our Defence is strong.........then we can win war against Terrorists.........internally or externally..............so what's the point.

Then again, what has the US supplied or given new except for the F-16s which we can use or has some meaning in fight against India ??

I have been trying to get the answer to the above question since long.

Reason behind US funding of Pakistan Army build up could be to force India to purchase more from US which they did. :drag:

MMRCA? Does that ring a bell?

We dont listen to USA calls every single time, only when it suits us.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Then again, what has the US supplied or given new except for the F-16s which we can use or has some meaning in fight against India ??

I have been trying to get the answer to the above question since long.

I assume corruption and funding for new missiles made in Pakistan etc

We Asians especially Pakistani's and Indians really playing in the hands of these goras lets accept it just for a minute v do like to kick each others BUTT both r buying/manufacturing weapons in the name of defense but haven't use them lets get rid of each other by using these defense weapons, after both r finished chair will be passed on to next contestant to get the BUTT kicked

wow goras wow great planning :sick:

@Delhi Devil: I assume corruption and funding for new missiles made in Pakistan etc

What does this means ???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom