What's new

US Revives Offer To Co-Develop AMCA Fighter Jet Engine With India

The idea is to have the same high thrust engine for all the platforms, separate engines will create a logistical nightmare.

Usually the core of the engine is the same with added or deleted compressor stages. Engines are uprated or derated according to airframe weight, cruise/supercruise speed and other factors.

Turbofan jet engines have higher or lower thrust according to size of bypass fans.

These are all variables affecting the performance of the core jet engine.

However I am not an expert on these things. Maybe @Bilal Khan (Quwa) bhai can comment to diffuse any confusion I have introduced.

Usually the core of the engine is the same with added or deleted compressor stages. Engines are uprated or derated according to airframe weight, cruise/supercruise speed and other factors.

Turbofan jet engines have higher or lower thrust according to size of bypass fans.

These are all variables affecting the performance of the core jet engine.

However I am not an expert on these things. Maybe @Bilal Khan (Quwa) bhai can comment to diffuse any confusion I have introduced.
You’re right in your assessment, I should have mentioned that the core should be common.

Each engine development will cost you 10 Billion Dollars. If you build three separate engines with GE, RR and Safran it will cost you 30 Billion for development alone. Do you have money? Last I read you scrapped your MMRCA deal due to lack of money.

Who said GoI is going to invest ? its a slice of pie GoI offering to private players where PSUs had the monopoly. Top Indian private sector business houses are looking to get in to Defense sector for very long time and now they have the opportunity.

https://www.tata.com/newsroom/ge-tata-group-enter-strategic-partnership-leap-engine

lack of money ! :omghaha: and still Importing billions of weapons every year.

Unreliable source and the US is well known to offer things but then not bother, as it undermines their future sales and they don’t wish the technology to be leaked.
They blocked transfer of software codes for the U.K. F-35’s hence the nation going it’s own way for sixth generation.

They know that we are already looking for alternative and if they willing to loose lucrative business opportunity then I think its their choice,

You cancelled your 126 MMRCA RFP and bought 36 Rafales instead.

We cancelled MMRCA and bought LCA for same amount and initiative for indigenous product got a push.

Now IAF is looking to increase its size to 42 squadrons over the next 10-15 years

Rolls Royce would be better choice.

French Safran already taken lead

Now IAF is looking to increase its size to 42 squadrons over the next 10-15 years

What a joke. Since how many decades have you been trying? Except 2 squadrons each of Rafale and M2K, rest of your fighters are a piece of outdated junk.

What a joke. Since how many decades have you been trying? Except 2 squadrons each of Rafale and M2K, rest of your fighters are a piece of outdated junk.

Okay, if you consider Russian fighters as junk then how many western fighters PAF inducted in last decade ?

GoI understands its limitations in importing that's why its trying to equip its military with local equipment's and as you already know we are very very slow but, eventually we will learn, it may take time but yes, we will.

They have already placed orders for 83 Tejas MK1A , MK2 would enter into production by 2028 , then there is TEDBF for Navy and AMCA this MMRFA is very likely to get cancelled
Forget AMCA and TEDBF Tejas MK1A and MK2 Alone are more than enough for IAF to reach the squadron strength of 42

Okay, if you consider Russian fighters as junk then how many western fighters PAF inducted in last decade ?

GoI understands its limitations in importing that's why its trying to equip its military with local equipment's and as you already know we are very very slow but, eventually we will learn, it may take time but yes, we will.

US and Chinese fighters are superior to Russian fighters and PAF have plenty of them.

They have already placed orders for 83 Tejas MK1A , MK2 would enter into production by 2028 , then there is TEDBF for Navy and AMCA this MMRFA is very likely to get cancelled
Forget AMCA and TEDBF Tejas MK1A and MK2 Alone are more than enough for IAF to reach the squadron strength of 42

You are content with a product like Tejas MK1A? Farsighted bunch.

You are content with a product like Tejas MK1A? Farsighted bunch.
I have checked the specs of Tejas MK1 and MK1A it’s indeed best in it’s class it has a small RCS and Powerful Radar
A carbon composite body good range and MTOW for it’s size and the list goes on

I have checked the specs of Tejas MK1 and MK1A it’s indeed best in it’s class it has a small RCS and Powerful Radar
A carbon composite body good range and MTOW for it’s size and the list goes on

Best in its class?

1. Israeli Pulse Dopplar radar system.
2. Underwhelming combat radius (300 KM) - range is extended with drop tanks that impose significant payload and maneuverability penality.
3. Lack of decent A2A armaments.

Best in its class?

1. Israeli Pulse Dopplar radar system.
2. Underwhelming combat radius (300 KM) - range is extended with drop tanks that impose significant payload and maneuverability penality.
3. Lack of decent A2A armaments.
1.Check the overall specs not just few , and Indians have already developed their UTTAM AESA Radar it’s a high tech Gallium Arsenide radar they’re testing it on Tejas MK1A prototype and they’re also working on Gallium Nitride AESA Radar
2.Tejas FOC can carry 3 drop tanks and also has in flight refueling probe in such a small and light aircraft and
3.with Indian AESA Radars it can carry all kind of armaments be it Russian , French , Israeli , American , British and offcourse Indian weapons like Brahmos and Astra series of (air to air) missiles

Last edited:
1.Check the overall specs not just few , and Indians have already developed their UTTAM AESA Radar it’s a high tech Gallium Arsenide radar they’re testing it on Tejas MK1A prototype and they’re also working on Gallium Nitride AESA Radar
2.Tejas FOC can carry 3 drop tanks and also has in flight refueling probe in such a small and light aircraft and
3.with Indian AESA Radars it can carry all kind of armaments be it Russian , French , Israeli , American , British and offcourse Indian weapons like Brahmos and Astra series of (air to air) missiles

1. I have, and I know about the development of the Uttam AESA radar system. This radar system will be greenlit for use in 2024. It will also require more power to be effective.

2. This configuration impose significant payload and maneuverability penality and is suitable for operations in lightly defended spaces.

3. Fair enough.

I still maintain that Indians are expecting miracles from Tejas - it is too small and underpowered to deliver results in demanding air-to-air engagements.

But fine. If Indians believe in it, so be it. You will learn something from the project to say the least.

1. I have, and I know about the development of the Uttam AESA radar system. This radar system will be greenlit for use in 2024. It will also require more power to be effective.

2. This configuration impose significant payload and maneuverability penality and is suitable for operations in lightly defended spaces.

3. Fair enough.

I still maintain that Indians are expecting miracles from Tejas - it is too small and underpowered to deliver results in demanding air-to-air engagements.

But fine. If Indians believe in it, so be it. You will learn something from the project to say the least.
1.They have now decided to use UTTAM AESA MK2 instead of the MK1 in MK1A aircraft this particular radar has 992 TR modules means it’s as powerful as the one used in F16 block 70
2.check the thrust to weight ratio of Tejas it remains maneuverable even with drop tanks
It took them 30 years to deliver first IOC Tejas , 4 years to deliver FOC Tejas and 3 years to deliver Tejas MK1A (by 2024 ) from the day of signing the contract
So you can clearly see they have learned a lot which has made it possible for them to deliver aircrafts on time

Back
Top Bottom