What's new

US uses defense diplomacy to woo Bangladesh away from China

I have no problem with Bangladesh gaining access to US military tech and arming itself to defend their country. Every country has that right. However, everything US does in the region is based on containing China's rise and so any defence purchases will come with obvious strings attached. The more Bangladesh becomes dependent on US military tech, the harder the US will push for Bangladesh to join its containment strategy against China and adopt anti-China policies. China in turn will have to change its approach towards Bangladesh, which at present are cordial and economic ties are booming.

Bangladesh has to decide if gaining access to US tech is worth annoying an emerging superpower, in China, on their doorstep and risk of cutting itself off to China's huge growing market which Bangladesh will need for its economic development, not to mention investment from cash-rich China. US intentions with regards to Bangladesh are probably no more than recruiting another potential proxy state that will bear the brunt of China's wrath, to further their geostrategic policy of containing China. China has shown with countries like Canada, Australia and India that they will not sit idly by when hostile countries are acting against their national interests.

I'm sure Bangladesh has no intention of upsetting China but when you bargain with the US Devil, the Devil will expect you to do his bidding. Putting yourself in between two warring superpowers is not an enviable position in my opinion.

BD economy is dependent on the US and the west in general.

China is merely a market for us to buy from. We do not sell much to them.

BD need not get involved in a china containment policy but if push comes to the shove than it will.

You are seeing things from PK-China prism. China is not a friend to BD as the rohingya debacle has proved.

I wouldn't be surprised if India has requested US to have a word with 'wayward' BD. As USA's right hand man in Asia - turning away from India is turning away from that alliance.

But getting closer to China was a masterstroke, no one should take BD for granted - US is courting BD directly directly now because of this.

We have to balance both powers and keep the courting as long and protracted as possible.

Only when we are forced to or when a winner becomes clear in the superpower balance, that is when we pick our side. Don't closer any options until then - even India and Pakistan.

There is very little Bangladesh could do to that would go against Chinese interests.
Buying American hardware will have no impact on China as they will not be used against them. In simple words, they would not care from a military perspective.

However, hob nob with the US will make China value its relation with BD more. It is a win-win for all three. The only losers would be Indian and Burmese evil ambitions to take advantage of BD.

As attractive as it is to play both US and China to gain benefits from both, there's a reason why so many other countries in Asia are wisely staying out of the US-China tug-of-war for World hegemony. Since Trump became President, the global geopolitical landscape has shifted, drastically, away from global co-operation to a US zero-sum outlook on China. Heightened US paranoia and panic at the prospect of losing its hegemonic status has led to US taking harder stances towards allies about towing the line with regards to America's war against China. A prime example being brow-beating allies to ban Chinese tech coompanies, like Huawei. America's view, under Trump, is you're either with us or against us. If Bangladesh signs large defence deals with atttractive loans/aid from USA, expect that to come with many conditions, like banning Huawei from the country. This kind of move would immediately change China's outlook of Bangladesh to an unfavorable one.

I'm not say Bangladesh can't play both sides but it would walking the proverbial tightrope with a high risk of getting itself in a position of being stuck between a rock and a hardplace. Like most other Asian nations have worked out, it's best to lay low and not make moves that could provoke or anger either side.

BD economy is dependent on the US and the west in general.

China is merely a market for us to buy from. We do not sell much to them.

BD need not get involved in a china containment policy but if push comes to the shove than it will.

You are seeing things from PK-China prism. China is not a friend to BD as the rohingya debacle has proved.

Everyone knows there are no real friends and enemies in geopolitics, just national interests. China supported Myanmar because it suited their national interests. Nothing against the Rohingyas.

Bangladesh, of course, as a sovereign nation is free to explore options that further their national goals. However, as a nation with relative low national strength vis-a-vis China, putting yourself on the chessboard of USA's power game against China is not a move that does not come with huge risks to Bangladesh. China is on Bangladesh's doorstep and a is a military and economic behemoth and USA is a superpower thousands of miles away and has a history of abandoning quasi-allies when it suits them.

I genuinely hope Bangladesh does not get dragged into a dangerous situation it cannot get itself away from.

My personal opinion is , Bangladesh shouldn't put all eggs in same basket. The day isn't too far when China is going to replace USA as super power .

So now if we are afraid that westerns aren't reliable supplier, then who knows once China will have this same bad reputation . Because after becoming super power ,China will no longer remain the same China. As already we saw Chinese position bon Rohingya issue .

I don't blame China completely for that, as they need Myanmar for direct access with the bay of Bengal.

But still when USA will lost it's position as super power , they ( and other western ) will be too much reliable supplier , for the sake of their business .

Look at Russia now , they are the option for turkey against it's western allies , the westerns can be same reliable when they will lost their glory to China .

For US, Bangladesh is nothing but small fish. But for China wanting to make friends, Bangladesh could be a strategic ally just like Pakistan. I think Bangladesh should choose China militarily and economically. And Chinese are not just closer geographically but are also huge investor in the region. Just take a look at CPEC. In the next 10 years Pakistan will march ahead of India by some accounts because of it.

For US, Bangladesh is nothing but small fish. But for China wanting to make friends, Bangladesh could be a strategic ally just like Pakistan. I think Bangladesh should choose China militarily and economically. And Chinese are not just closer geographically but are also huge investor in the region. Just take a look at CPEC. In the next 10 years Pakistan will march ahead of India by some accounts because of it.
Why am I strongly sensing sarcasm in this post?
🧐

Please do not utter Islamic brotherhood. We already know what it is. Moreover, the USA is talking on alliance based on geography. I would not say I like the American approach. But, Islam has nothing to do with it.

America is too far away and is too self-centered to help BD achieve its defense or economic goals. It is talking on behalf of India to encircle China with its neighbors. China is a friend of BD in need, America may not be, because it is overburdened with problems faced by many other countries.

Indo-Pacific is a broad term and the geography is too large to fit a small BD. We are not like Japan or South Korea.
They do not want India as the middle man. Such will always result in failure

Like a typical H1B, jumping up and down about US election - when they can't even vote.

The allegiance of Indian Americans should be to AMERICA, not India. They will get fired in a flash if they try to tow Indian interests. Will be all over media.

Ask any H1B trying funny discrimination business in Silicon valley and coming back home.

Please recount details of F16 fiasco with Pakistan, start with the latest stuff please.

Am not stopping u, plz go ahead and buy, every major weapons procurement is a dependency created, only a fool would think otherwise. Its better to depend on US than india i guess.

Everyone knows there are no real friends and enemies in geopolitics, just national interests. China supported Myanmar because it suited their national interests. Nothing against the Rohingyas.

Bangladesh, of course, as a sovereign nation is free to explore options that further their national goals. However, as a nation with relative low national strength vis-a-vis China, putting yourself on the chessboard of USA's power game against China is not a move that does not come with huge risks to Bangladesh. China is on Bangladesh's doorstep and a is a military and economic behemoth and USA is a superpower thousands of miles away and has a history of abandoning quasi-allies when it suits them.

I genuinely hope Bangladesh does not get dragged into a dangerous situation it cannot get itself away from.

BD always retains right to pivot position as necessary to further its interest.

BD is not china dependent as such it has lot of room for maneuver.

BD will maintain current course of economic engagement with china but strategic embrace at this point is not advisable as our economy is dependent on west and west allied nations.

BD always retains right to pivot position as necessary to further its interest.

BD is not china dependent as such it has lot of room for maneuver.

BD will maintain current course of economic engagement with china but strategic embrace at this point is not advisable as our economy is dependent on west and west allied nations.
Yes, you are very right. BD is another country like China, Russia and America. Please come and seat at the realm of BD and lead it to become another USA. Or, has BD already a superpower? Taking loans and credits from all the countries and trying to keep the neck above water is not something that creates a fully independent super nation.

Yes, you are very right. BD is another country like China, Russia and America. Please come and seat at the realm of BD and lead it to become another USA. Or, has BD already a superpower? Taking loans and credits from all the countries and trying to keep the neck above water is not something that creates a fully independent super nation.

You really are quite silly. You conflate unconnected points. We live in a global connected world. Each nation has its priorities, sphere of influence and capabilities that determine its capacity to maneuver.

Is your position BD ties its fate to china or US or someone else? You are just spouting glib nonsense and following your course of thought to its logical conclusion you postulate that we should be resigned to the vagaries of others interest and not seek to chart a course for ourselves.

Mine opinion is our strategic position should be nimble and fluid as situation dictate.... yours is what exactly?

You really are quite silly. You conflate unconnected points. We live in a global connected world. Each nation has its priorities, sphere of influence and capabilities that determine its capacity to maneuver.

Is your position BD ties its fate to china or US or someone else? You are just spouting glib nonsense and following your course of thought to its logical conclusion you postulate that we should be resigned to the vagaries of others interest and not seek to chart a course for ourselves.

Mine opinion is our strategic position should be nimble and fluid as situation dictate.... yours is what exactly?
Don't talk big every time without knowing anything. Just stop bickering, stop lecturing with others and learn more about how the world is run.

Back
Top Bottom