What's new

US very bullish on India: Hillary Clinton

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
US very bullish on India: Hillary Clinton

As India assumes a more global leadership role, the United States is "very bullish" on India, says Secretary of State Hillary Clinton describing President Barack Obama's upcoming visit as "yet another very clear statement" of US support.

The US relationship "is going from strength to strength" she said at the 12th annual Fortune Most Powerful Women Summit here Wednesday when asked by HSBC India chief Naina Kidwai about her expectations of Obama's India visit in early November.

She expected "more warmth and more intellect," quipped Clinton amid laughter as Kidwai recalled that former president Bill Clinton and she herself had led the relationship with India "with a lot of warmth and intellect."

"Look, I think our relationship with India, which I was very pleased to open up in the '90s and then followed by the work of my husband and his visit and then the follow-on work by the Bush Administration on the civil nuclear agreement, is going from strength to strength."

"We are now implementing a very comprehensive Strategic Dialogue between us," Clinton said.

"And by that, I mean it's not just the visits and the meetings at high levels between the President and myself and our counterparts, but really getting into our respective bureaucracies, which, as you know in both of our countries, pose problems to actually getting things done."

Clinton said the US was also "looking for ways to network our business communities, our academic institutions, our NGOs - we are very bullish on India."

"We think that India's growth rates and India's commitment to lifting people out of poverty and doing the necessary economic reforms is essential for further development for India," she said.

"And at the same time, India is assuming more of a regional leadership role and a global leadership role, which we welcome and encourage," Clinton noted.

"So the President's visit in November will be yet another very clear statement of our support and our commitment to the relationship," she said.

US very bullish on India: Hillary Clinton - The Times of India

When the east india company set up shop .. noone in their wildest dreams thought what would happen in the decades to follow. This new form of imperialism is slowly showing its true colours. Pakistan has been a prime example. Our debt facilitation is the reason our school teachers will never be paid and hence the vicious cycle keeps repeating with illiterate and traitor leaders. Why would anyone care about this country when the only time they have to see the bathroom is when they have to use the bathroom. This kind of behaviour is not just predominant in Pakistani's only. Its a sub continent thing from the british days. Our sense of country and civil society has been erased successfully in these 200 years. Our society needs to heal itself before it can realign with mainstream society. I think I am just rambling cause I see India falling for the sweet nothings which are just as likely from the british playbook a very long time ago.

India is not falling for anything. This engagement with the US is not overnight but has been in the process since the time of PM Vajpaiyee.
Both the countries entered into a strategic dialogue with Jaswant Sing and Strobe Talbot from the US leading the talks and laying the groundwork for future talks.
Even when India was tilting towrds the Russian block US was still the largest trade partner of India. It has always been a relationship of equal oppurtunities. What has helped India has been the Technocrats from IITS Roorkee and other institutions who settled in US in the 60s and 70s and today are Industyr leaders and have created a very positive image about India.

Also please note that for relations between two countries have their own dynamics but at the end of the day decisions are taken based on own interests. Nobody is out there to do anybody favours.

^^^ Notice one thing GoI Never make so much noise as for as International relations. but it is not the case with GoP.

We can discuss solutions all we want but educating our populations is a daunting task. The immediate thing would be to put our population explosion in check. The rest will follow slowly. The problem can have a solution only if the problem is correctly visible. This unmaintained population with no basic skills and no basic amenities will be the ball and chain for generations to come.

USA may be 'bullish' but we are not. Other than nuke deal and offering some hi tech weapons US did nothing.

They have to 'do more'.....
:woot:

USA may be 'bullish' but we are not. Other than nuke deal and offering some hi tech weapons US did nothing.

They have to 'do more'.....
:woot:
we also have a lot of business. india needs to collaborate with US in education, agriculture, technology sector and more investment. US has lot to offer

India- you can take US, we certainly don't want them!

If only that would actually happen.

When the east india company set up shop .. noone in their wildest dreams thought what would happen in the decades to follow. This new form of imperialism is slowly showing its true colours. Pakistan has been a prime example. Our debt facilitation is the reason our school teachers will never be paid and hence the vicious cycle keeps repeating with illiterate and traitor leaders. Why would anyone care about this country when the only time they have to see the bathroom is when they have to use the bathroom. This kind of behaviour is not just predominant in Pakistani's only. Its a sub continent thing from the british days. Our sense of country and civil society has been erased successfully in these 200 years. Our society needs to heal itself before it can realign with mainstream society. I think I am just rambling cause I see India falling for the sweet nothings which are just as likely from the british playbook a very long time ago.

Your concerns are valid to the extent that some of these problems that you speak about have been visited upon Pakistan. India in its own (even peculiar way) pursued its Foreign Policy differently. It aligned with other Countries, to the extent of its own interests. Has India so far been embroiled in any other country's conflict in any active way?

Not much has changed. If anything; India's ability to with-stand pressure and push-pulls is far stronger than any time in its independent history. Not too much to worry about. This is a far more confident India on the world stage.

Bullish my ***. Give us weapons with full ToT and no strings attached and Navy should get F35.

I think the Chinese are doing much worse to u.:china:

Back
Top Bottom