What's new

US violates int’l laws; moves USS Enterprise into Pakistani water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i fail to see the relevance here...but as a Pakistani Pashtun -- i learned reading and writing well before learning to shoot (and im a good shot i can assure you)

though the sound of gunfire was never really alien to me

i fail to see the relevance here...but as a Pakistani Pashtun -- i learned reading and writing well before learning to shoot (and im a good shot i can assure you)

though the sound of gunfire was never really alien to me

Please don't take what I said about Pashtun as offensive. Some of the best educated people I have come across are Pashtun. I regard Ayub Khan as the best Pakistani leader [ above Jinnah even ] and I do believe he was Pashtun. I made a general comment about the Pashtun in particular in Afghanistan. The fact is Afghans are still living in backward conditions compared to Pakisttan but you can't doubt them as a tough, hardy people and fighters second to non.

Just because they managed to humble Soviet Union and now have put up 10 years of resistance to NATO does not mean we can or should even consider doing.

Wow, this thread really has legs; not complaining, one of my favorites. And it is timeless, we always have a carrier in the region.:usflag::police::bunny:

Field Marshal hailed from Hazara region of frontier; he spoke hindko...but anyways not important

back on topic

Wow, this thread really has legs; not complaining, one of my favorites. And it is timeless, we always have a carrier in the region.:usflag::police::bunny:

Yes, thanks for the clarification, we do know. The waters astride Gwadar, Pakistan are a veritable sea expressway with ships heading towards and leaving the Persian Gulf and there is bound to be some US carrier in the region at any given time. The thread has veered into deeper discussions of US - Pakistan relations.

Abu Zolfigar

Was Ayub not a Pashtun though even if he spoke Hindkoh?

Yes! and it doesn't matter, US carriers are roaming all over the world. They are not to keep them sitting as duck at home.......:D

@Mave3rick

Why do you insist on comparing apples with oranges? I know your smart so it can't be because you fail to understand - I assume your just just being plain disingenous.

Thanks for the honesty mate :)

Afghans as a people live a very basic life. Within the Pashtun society children learn to shoot before they learn how to write. They live by a raw uncompromising code and more often than not are involved in a lifetime of vendetta that can go on for generations. They can and do live rough.

I recall reading a article by John Fisk just before US bombing of Afghanistan commenced. The thrust of the article was that here was a 21st century hi tech military machine about to bomb people already living in the stone age. He asked what targets was USAF going to attack? There was hardly any infrastructure in the country to attack.

The threat of 'bombing you to stone age' carried no substance with regards to Afghanistan - They already were in the stone age. The Taliban forces did not have massive armored formations or cantonments to attack. The other thing about Pashtun is they will fight with their brother, or their cousin, or the tribe. Fighting is instilled in them from a young age.

So sure enough like they have always done they ran into the hills and started doing what they always do - fight. They did that when the British were in South Asia. The British managed to pacify 100s of millions of people all over South Asia but oh no, not the Pashtuns of the hills.

Except at the times of sowing and of harvest, a continual state of feud and strife prevails throughout the land. Tribe wars with tribe. The people of one valley fight with those of the next. To the quarrels of communities are added the combats of individuals. Khan assails khan, each supported by his retainers. Every tribesman has a blood feud with his neighbor. Every man's hand is against the other, and all against the stranger.

"Nor are these struggles conducted with the weapons which usually belong to the races of such development. To the ferocity of the Zulu are added the craft of the Redskin and the marksmanship of the Boer. The world is presented with that grim spectacle, "the strength of civilisation without its mercy." At a thousand yards the traveller falls wounded by the well-aimed bullet of a breech-loading rifle. His assailant, approaching, hacks him to death with the ferocity of a South-Sea Islander. The weapons of the nineteenth century are in the hands of the savages of the Stone Age.

Pathan Revolt - 1897

I am not saying I agree with every word said by Winston Churchill. He almost got killed by the Pathans but without doubt the British had marched thousands of miles all over South Asia but than ran into the indomitable Pathans who stopped them in their tracks and were a constant thorn in their sides. Majority of the British Army was posted in the north west. That spirit was not seen anywhere else in South Asia.

Pakistan Punjab did not fart for 97 years under British rule. In Sindh it's almost the same story except for the Hurs. Therefore please do me a favour stop comparing the wild Afghans with Pakistan. That is chalk and cheese comparison. We are having riots in Pakistan because we have electric loadshedding for 8 hours. Well most of Afghanistan does not need to worry - There is no electricty to shed. Our people are grouching about lack of gas pressure well most Afghans don't need to worry they don't have any gas.

People get used to harsh realities and adjust accordingly. Survival is our basic instinct, a very primal inbuilt part of nature. Afghans adjust according to their realities, we do according to ours but that does not mean we do not have the spirit to defend our country be it against India or the States!

The English used treachery and tactics more then they used military, they used to buy whomever they could not beat. The US does follow suit so far as our current leadership is their proxy after all, but they also try their military might to blackmail every country. However, in a full frontal invasion, they would be major losers regardless of their military might.

When you say precise attacks what do you mean? Suicide bombers, conventional airstrike, nuke missiles etc please elaborate.

Attacks using MRBM/IRBM's/ALCM's etc.

Don't be a muppet and get carried away with propaganda. That is for the ignorent masses. Let us look at some actual facts. LOC 1948. LOC 2012. How many inches have we moved north in 65 years of trying? 1inch, 10 inches or 100 inches. What has been holding us back, the Hindoo Army? I will deal with the Koreans some other time but they gave the Yanks a bloody nose and even now US would dare not attack North Korea even without the Nuke factor.

Every engagement of ours has been a non core-military failure. 1965 was a failure (although we did not lose the military war but were unable to achieve our objective which is kind of a loss) because of overconfidence that any such action would be supported by Kashmir. 1971 was an internal matter and it was a stupid decision to attack India from this side. 1999 was purely a political loss and 2002....well, the real question is, what has the regional and potential future super power gained from us? We were able to hold our own and will continue to do so against any and all enemies.

Besides, why do you make it as if Koreans were fighting the yanks alone? Were they not provided everything including ground troops by China and material support by Russia too? Without help, they would have been overrun. For that I wonder, if China would sit quiet if Pakistan is attacked. I mean Pakistan is a lot closer to China then N. Korea in 1950's. Similarly, China today is a lot stronger then the China of 1950's.

Do you mean turn Pakistan into another Afghanistan? If this is what your driving at no I don't think they want to turn Pakistan into another Afghanistan. They and the British would be big losers if that happened. Both countries have millions of Pakistani's living there. Many would be radicalized and instability in Pakistan would hit the streets of US and UK.

Attock would spill over into Accrington, UK and Narowal would spill into Newark, USA. They would get regular taste of what happened in London 2005 leave alone mass asylum seekers.

And the future of 180 million Pakistan supercedes any 'debt' we might have to rest of the world. At any rate we would not be able to hit any part of USA. All we would be able to do and that is being optimistic is knock out US bases in Arabian Gulf. That would be couple of thousand Yanks, less Yanks than what they lost at Iwo Jima in WW2.

That is mighty expensive exchange for frying 180 million peole in Pakistan. I don't know about you but I am not going risk my family in such a exchange, no sir !!!

And finally let me say it again short of some crazy thing happening we are not going have a war with US. Our relations might go sour to the point that they sanction us. That is the worst they will do. There is a graduated scale from stopping aid to not allowing our exports to US - As you might know the bulk of our exports go to US and UK. This alone would cripple our economy etc. There are already signs US has begun to play hardball. We were depending on Diamer Bhasha Dam and Iranian oil pipeline to meet our electric/energy shortages.

US has already managed to dissuade the Chinese state Bank from lending us money for the pipeline and now they are playing games with World Bank which was going to finance the Diamer Bhasha Dam.

World Bank links Pak's Diamer-Bhasha dam funding to Indian concurrence - Yahoo! News India

I hope you are right on the end term intentions of the arrogant super power. But one thing is straight up correct, we are no pushovers.

uss_enterprise-d_these_are_the_voyages.jpg

:lol:

Follow on...

Had Mullah Omer's Talibaan been weak, the US would not have initiated a process of negotiations with them nor would it have exerted so much pressure on Pakistan to begin a war with the Haqqanis. This is the reason of contention I agree, but we do not want to engage 50k Talibaan fighters that we consider our asset, plain and simple.

The US thought that they could simply hold negotiations without Pakistan in Qatar, where did they get with that attempt? Without Mullah Omer and Haqqanis, there is not Talibaan and so without them there is no negotiations. The US Govt. has also vocally accepted pressurizing Pakistan to bring the Haqqanis to the negotiating table. However, Pakistan has declined the unreasonable demands as Pakistan has been consistently undermined in the whole process while at the same time the US attempts to give India a much bigger and undeserved role in Afghanistan. Are we supposed to take it all sitting down?
Negotiations do take place regardless of victory or defeat in the battlefield. US does not negotiates with al-Qaeda but it is willing to give Afghan Taliban a chance if it is willing to work with international community.

Indian involvement in Afghanistan is not a new thing. It has supported Northern Alliance during Afghan Taliban rule and it has invested a lot in improving the infrastructure of Afghanistan after 9/11. Karzai regime does have soft corner for India. Even Afghan Taliban does not have issue with India as long as it does not gets militarily involved. For Pakistan, this has become a battle of hearts and minds. Indians are smarter then us (Pakistani) in foreign policy matters.

I have marked your words and now you mark mine, Soviet Union left Afghanistan upon Talibaan's terms and so will this super power!
This remains to be seen. It is possible that US may maintain strong presence in this country for a long time. US resolve should not be underestimated.

Here is hint: Panetta says U.S. will have ‘enduring presence’ in Afghanistan after drawdown - The Washington Post

Ok so there are only 3 possibilities here:

1 - Saddam considered US threats to be bluff
US military build-up around Iraqi borders was not sufficient sign?

2 - Saddam thought he was strong enough to fight of the US & NATO.
Yes. Just like you do.

3 - Saddam was actually in cahoots with US, and his actions gave them the opportunity to establish permanent Military bases and presence in Saudi Arabia & Kuwait.
Sounds like a conspiracy. Saddam pursued his interests IMO. Why would he risk destruction of his country for the sake of strong US presence in Middle East?

One can simply write off atleast point number 2, point no. 1 has some merit but it is actually point no. 3 that holds the most substance.
Point 3 is the weakest one.

And it remained so after too.
No.

The Iran-Iraq war ended with Iraq sustaining the largest military structure in the Middle East, with more than 70 divisions in its army and an air force of over 700 modern aircraft. (Source: Global Security)

General Hamdani is a famous Iraqi general whose professionalism has worldwide recognition. You can get very useful insight about evolution of Iraqi military capabilities from his views.

This is his assessment about US military:-

General Hamdani on several occasions commented on how much the American military had impressed him in both 1990 and 2003. Particularly interesting was his view that the U.S. Army was far superior to any he had seen in the Middle East—including the Israel Defense Forces.

He has pointed another great fact:-

You need to understand his mind and doctrine. His mentality, his values, and the way they fight and doctrine.

This is why homework is more important then bravado and useless chest thumping.

This was how US military was generally perceived in Iraq prior to Persian Gulf War 1991:-

True . . . true. As I mentioned earlier, just before the 1991 war, when I told the Republican Guard staff that the American plan was going to be along the Wadi al-Batin and that what we were doing was wrong, they became furious with me. They said that I was demoralizing the subordinate officers, that I had upset the president, and that I was going to be referred to a court-martial. The reason for this was that these senior staff had reached a point where they degraded our intelligence. For instance, Hussein Kamel would say, “The Abrams tank is heavy; the minute it moves in the sand it will sink! As for the F–15 or F–16 aircraft, when we fire a flare gun at them at night, the pilot will blink and lose control of the aircraft.” Saddam Hussein would say, “Throw sand on the Phantom and that is it.” This discussion happened on November 23, 1990.

Here is a minor glimpse of reality:-

In 1991, I watched as an Apache destroyed a complete armored brigade, right before my eyes, in 15 minutes.

@ Mav3rick

Now you understand that why it is too dangerous and stupid to underestimate a powerful enemy?

Do not get fooled by Afghanistan.

None of which hit any of the desired targets even though the Scuds were considered pretty good. They were intentionally fired into uninhibited deserts of Israel. Again, doesn't this arouse suspicion? There was hardly any loss from all the scuds that Iraq fired into Israel, Saudi Arabia & Kuwait combined.
Those missiles were fired for political motives and not at vital targets. Extreme US pressure prevented Israel from responding because the international coalition may have fractured due to this development.

I would also like to know the progress of Iraqi Military from 1981 to 1991 as you believe they achieved excellence from mediocre capability during that term.
Here;

During the late 1970s and the mid-1980s, the Iraqi armed forces underwent many changes in size, structure, arms supplies, hierarchy, deployment, and political character. Between 1980 and the summer of 1990 Saddam boosted the number of troops in the Iraqi military from 180,000 to 900,000, creating the fourth-largest army in the world. With mobilization, Iraq could have raised this to 2 million men under arms--fully 75% of all Iraqi men between ages 18 and 34. The number of tanks in the Iraqi military rose from 2,700 to 5,700 and artillery pieces went from 2,300 to 3,700.

Headquartered in Baghdad, the army -- of an estimated 1.7 million or more Iraqis, including reserves and paramilitary -- in 1987 had seven corps, five armored divisions (each with one armored brigade and one mechanized brigade), and three mechanized divisions (each with one armored brigade and two or more mechanized brigades). An expanded Presidential Guard Force was composed of three armored brigades, one infantry brigade, and one commando brigade. There were also thirty infantry divisions, composed of the People's Army (Al Jaysh ash Shaabi--also cited as the Popular Army or People's Militia) brigades and the reserve brigades, as well as six Special Forces brigades.

This growth in the manpower and equipment inventories of the Iraqi armed forces was facilitated by Iraq's capacity to pay for a large standing army and was occasioned by Iraq's need to fight a war with Iran, a determined and much larger neighbor. Whereas in 1978 active-duty military personnel numbered less than 200,000, and the military was equipped with some of the most sophisticated weaponry of the Soviet military arsenal, by 1987 the quality of offensive weapons had improved dramatically, and the number of men under arms had increased almost fourfold.

This mammoth arsenal gave Iraq a clear-cut advantage over Iran in 1987. Iraq had an advantage of more than four to one in tanks (4,500 to 1,000); four to one in armored vehicles (4,000 to 1,000); and two to one in artillery and antiaircraft pieces (7,330 to 3,000). Despite this quantitative and qualitative superiority, the Iraqi army by the end of 1987 had not risked its strength in a final and decisive battle to win the war.

In early 1991 Iraq's military reflected the influence of both the British Army and the Soviet Army. The British influence remained in staff organization and in reliance on the corps as the largest independent operational unit. Soviet influence, dating from the 1960s, was clearest in the heavy reliance on artillery and in a broad range of Warsaw Pact equipment and weapons. But in replacing losses and upgrading capability since the war with Iran, Baghdad had incorporated weapons and other technology from many countries, including Italy, Yugoslavia, Austria, Romania, Switzerland, the Netherlands, South Africa, and the People's Republic of China. Iraq also flew French helicopters and used a variety of American equipment.

By February 1991 Iraq had an army of more than 1 million men-about 950,000 regulars, of which some 480,000 were reserve and new conscripts, and about 90,000 volunteers. The regulars were organized into seven corps and the volunteers into the corps-size Republican Guard Forces Command, the offensive component of Iraq's military. Three corps were deployed northward, partly facing the borders of Turkey, Syria, and Iran. The remaining four corps and the Republican Guard Forces Command were in southern Iraq, in Kuwait, and along the eastern part of the Iraqi-Saudi Arabian border and thus were of immediate interest to Central Command. (Source: Global Security)

General Hamdani pointed out in one of his interviews that major reforms took place after Iranian occupation of Al-Fao Peninsula in Iraq in 1986. Saddam became open to professional advices after this event.

Look mate, America did whatever it could do conventionally but was not able to defeat the Talibaan. But for the purpose of argument here, by you reasoning Iraqi military should have resisted the invasion a lot more....albeit their shortcoming as per my conclusion in equipment, training and most probably dedication and patriotism.
Patriotism was never an issue in Iraq. Iraqi resistance was much more bigger and harder in scale in comparison to that of Taliban. Entire cities were often turned in to fortresses of resistance. However, US had deployed much greater firepower in Iraq accordingly and showed heavy determination.

This is General Hamdani's assessment of US military performance against Iraqi resistance during its peak years:-

The American Army is fighting using an unusual counterguerrilla war method for the last 4 years that would make any other army collapse. But the American army is still holding there, which underlies that this is a great army that has wonderful training and excellent officers. There is an exception for every rule, but in general, the American army has proved for the last 4 years that while the Soviet army would have collapsed and any other great European army would have collapsed, they have not. Four years of fighting and the American soldier is still disciplined and zealous, and bears his losses, and this is a unique characteristic of this army.

And Taliban analogy is useless in case of Pakistan. We are talking about a nation with billions of dollars of worth of infrastructure, standing army, and many urbanized regions. We are not talking about a rag tag militia organization which can easily blend among the locals and can conduct surprise attacks for shock value like the ones we often witness in Kabul. No need to bring this analogy up again and again.

No my friend, I do not want the US to do everything but I want them to acknowledge everything and to stop the smearing campaign that they have unleashed against Pakistan PakMil and ISI. Furthermore, I want them to reimburse the losses we have sustained because of their arrogant war and to continue repair works until everything settles down in 20 odd years.
You know what I want? I want Pakistani Military and Civilian leadership to come clean on the matters of WOT.

All state of the art airforces were either equipped with BVR Missiles or would have procured them after the first encounter with a BVR armed adversary. Iraq was a spent force without means to fight a war.....that too with a super power.
Iraq was not a spent force after Iran-Iraq war. It would be better if you would concentrate on the facts and not on speculations.

And that's a new one for even you.....USAF evolved to avoid harm, harm to whom? USAF officials then agreed, civilans strongly disagree.
USAF evolved in to a force capable of attacking from great distances and minimize its losses.

Not just the USAF, the entire US military underwent heavy reforms after the Vietnam war:-

During the 2 decades preceding the Persian Gulf War in 1991, the U.S. Army went through tremendous reform and rejuvenation. It recovered from the Vietnam War, transitioned to an all-volunteer personnel model, and refocused on a potential future war against a very capable adversary in Europe. The Army’s transformation was evident to external observers: from being seen as an organization in distress in the early 1970s, by 1991 the Army became an organization whose professionalism was the source of admiration. (Source: The Letort Papers)

Answered above.
Covered.

Well, I believe I asked you to not discuss OBL Operation simply because where you are adamant the operation was genuine, I am highly sceptical and believe it was all a drama with the help of GoP & Military. Lets wait for the OBL commissions report ok?
Fine. But I do not have high hopes in this regard.

Lets agree to disagree as there are capabilities on both sides that are undeclared. Let's also be realistic, a military conflict b/w the US and Pakistan will just not happen. But if it does then my opinion is that we will annihilate their military bases on land and sea in a diameter of 5k-8k. the losses that we incur are beyond the point of this debate.
This remains to be seen. You can generalize about our chances. But I prefer to be cautious.

Their arrogance was their downfall in Vietnam and their arrogance is their downfall in Afghanistan. They failed to understand the regions and the inhabitants. The same is happening all over again in Pakistan.
They are not always arrogant. US politics can overshadow US military accomplishments sometimes but then it depends upon level of commitment shown by US leadership. Under a capable leadership, I would never doubt the chances of US.

In addition, Vietnam is old story. And Afghan front has not yet concluded. Why only focus on failures? Why not focus on successes and improvements?

Is this the reason for such poor showings of Islamic nations since 20th century?

How many Jets & IRBM/ICBM/SRBM/LACM/SLCM etc. has PAC3 shot down?
PAC-3 system has been used in 1 conflict thus far and it has gained international recognition for its performance. Unlike PAC-1, this system could do its job and not just had psychological influence.

PAC-3 Performance in Iraq War Helps Overcome Domestic Opposition:-

While public concern over developments on the Korean peninsula makes it increasingly likely that a political consensus on the legality of missile defense will be achieved, proponents of BMD must still make the case for its technical viability. Critics inside Japan have long been skeptical of the idea of “hitting a bullet with a bullet,” despite U.S. government claims to the contrary.

In this respect the BMD program in Japan received a major boost from reports of the improved performance of the Patriot 3 (PAC-3) antimissile batteries during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Despite two “friendly fire” incidents, reports indicated that the upgraded Patriot antimissile systems with new “hit-to-kill” warheads performed significantly better than their forerunners in Operation Desert Storm. One of the war’s most important converts was Naoto Kan, leader of Japan’s largest opposition party (the Democratic Party). After observing the performance of U.S. and Kuwaiti anti-missile batteries in the first two weeks of the Iraq war, Kan—who had formerly opposed missile defense—announced that he no longer doubted its feasibility. Kan’s change of stance removed a major roadblock to Japan’s acquisition of a layered missile defense system. Defense planners would like the system to eventually include both sea-based midcourse interceptors and PAC-3 batteries aimed at missiles in the terminal phase (Source: APSS).

How many has THAAD shot down?
THAAD has not been used in a conflict yet due to lack of opportunity. However, THAAD has very good track record in its extensive testing phase.

When have they faced an adversary that is actually some good with these technologies?
Iraq in 2003. Yes! Iraq's missile arsenal was degraded during this time but still it was dangerous.

And how did you measure their success?
International repute and track record in conflicts and testing. US AM systems are no longer paper tigers.

Don't tell me you read brochures!!
You can read about THAAD from many sources.

US can Pakr AC under Non Nato alley aggrement. Plus its doing drill right on the mouth of straight of hormuz.

USS enterprise in Long gone i believe?

this thread is still going on???:hitwall:

what a joke, like Bahrain, they have been using our ports for some time. like they do all over Europe and Asia Pacific. they dont really need to move in the aircraft carrier into our waters to force us into submission if their intentions are hostile. carriers move in with the battle groups and normally its done as an invasion if they are not invited and have already functioning port facilities like in Bahrain or Pasni/ Gawader or Karachi etc.

there is a limit to BS.. secondly there is no need for that now. NATO supplies are open. thread is closed though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom