What's new

Used AL-31F engines rebuilt possible?

johncliu88

Reaction score
Country
China
Just recently, quite some J-10B and J-11B/J-11BH had replacement of the original Russian AL-31F engines with WS-10B Chinese made engines. Can the used AL-31F engines be rebuilt then sell them to the surplus market? I think China is capable of rebuilding these used engines with some Chinese made parts. Any comment?

Just recently, quite some J-10B and J-11B/J-11BH had replacement of the original Russian AL-31F engines with WS-10B Chinese made engines. Can the used AL-31F engines be rebuilt then sell them to the surplus market? I think China is capable of rebuilding these used engines with some Chinese made parts. Any comment?
Yes, China is capable of overhauling AL-31F engines, but to sell them to third party will need consent from Russia.

China has been using its own indigenous components for her AL-31F for ages since she built an Engine Refurbishment Center in Xian.
The parts replaced include single crystal blades.

That is why she has not send any AL-31F back to Moscow for one to one exchange.

When RMAF requested for China assistance to maintain these engines, China declined as she needs Moscow consent to do so for Sukhoi customers outside of China.

China has been using its own indigenous components for her AL-31F for ages since she built an Engine Refurbishment Center in Xian.

When RMAF requested for China assistance to maintain these engines, China declined as she needs Moscow consent to do so for Sukhoi customers outside of China.
Understood and thanks for the information.

No, it doesn't work that way.

Sorry to contradict, but this is plain wrong: NO regular operational J-10B has its AL-31FN replaced and also only the Batch 01 J-11Bs have gained new engines. All other J-11B/BS and all J-11BHs from Batch 02 on already had the Taihang installed, so there is no need to replace them.

Really? I thought that AL-31F/FN center is located at Chengdu?

At this point China would probably keep refurbished engines in reserved in case there is an issue of supplies of spare engines from Russia for the planes still using the AL-31 engines.

Most of those AL-31FN engines taken down are near their end of life. Not worth rehaul it.

China does have the ability to repair AL31F, but China has no right to sell that.

My mistake as I refer to memory and sometimes it failed me

Indeed PLAAF Overhaul Plant 5719 is located in Chengdu.

I think the confusion arised as at one time it was referred to as Xian engine Refurbishment Centre or something like this.

Last edited:
As for Johncliu88, he only wants to know whether or not it, these used Al-31F can be rebuilt or not without going into detail where the plant is actually located.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for providing all the information. I am very glad that our Chinese can take care of the repair and rebuilding processes by our own, not like our neighbor, engines needed to send back to Russia and cost a lot $$$ for sure.

Sorry to contradict, but this is plain wrong: NO regular operational J-10B has its AL-31FN replaced and also only the Batch 01 J-11Bs have gained new engines. All other J-11B/BS and all J-11BHs from Batch 02 on already had the Taihang installed, so there is no need to replace them.

There is report which says PLAAF's AL-31F and AL-31FN overhaul facility manages overhaul and remanufacturing of the engines. They were also responsible for upgrading some AL-31F/FN with indigenously made parts with higher specs for the initial batches of J-20. The head engineer was reported publicly for this achievement. Capability wide they seem to be able to complete the entire manufacturing process of AL-31F/FN independently.

Not sure where that facility is. However it's clearly owned and run by PLAAF, not any Chinese engine companies. For once there was a rumour that Russia was considering to license that facility to manufacture AL-31F/FN as they are upgrading their own product line and wanted to capitalise on the AL-31F design. Finally it didn't happen as China wants to spare the market to WS-10.

Sorry to ask, but I understood that the Al-31FN and the WS-10 did not have the same dimensions and therefore were not interchangeable. I'm wrong?

Sorry to ask, but I understood that the Al-31FN and the WS-10 did not have the same dimensions and therefore were not interchangeable. I'm wrong?

Yes you are wrong ... there are probably not 100% the same dimensions, but at least they were interchangeable. We know several J-10A and Bs and also J-11s once with AL-31F/FN, later with WS-10 and also again with AL-31. So they are surely interchangeable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom