What's new

using a cellular smart watch in Pakistan

chharoonahmad

New Recruit

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to know if a cellular smart watch could be used in Pakistan. I have Samsung Active 2 watch in mind. Could you please help me with this? I'm not in Pakistan and wanted to gift it to a friend and I believe my friend's network is Warid. Thank you for your help!

Hi,

I wanted to know if a cellular smart watch could be used in Pakistan. I have Samsung Active 2 watch in mind. Could you please help me with this? I'm not in Pakistan and wanted to gift it to a friend and I believe my friend's network is Warid. Thank you for your help!
All smart watches attach to cellphone through respective app. I am using Zen watch 2 that my brother bought it for me from the US and it connects with all my phones without any hassle. I dont believe your friend will have an issue with Samsung Active 2 as well.

All smart watches attach to cellphone through respective app. I am using Zen watch 2 that my brother bought it for me from the US and it connects with all my phones without any hassle. I dont believe your friend will have an issue with Samsung Active 2 as well.

I think he means electronic sims are available in Pakistan.
Cellular smart watches use own LTE connectivity for Voice and Data by using electronic sims registered with some network company.

Thank you.

cellular smart watch = LTE version of a smart watch

So, will it work in Pakistan?

I think he means electronic sims are available in Pakistan.
Cellular smart watches use own LTE connectivity for Voice and Data by using electronic sims registered with some network company.
Electronic sims.....no they arent. However my understanding with Apple watch and Asus was that all they needed was their respective app or handset in case of apple with which they connect using wifi or bluetooth.

On another note this is available in Pakistan as well so it means the connectivity is there.
https://www.telemart.pk/samsung-galaxy-watch-active-2-aluminum-44mm-price-in-pakistan.html

Electronic sims.....no they arent. However my understanding with Apple watch and Asus was that all they needed was their respective app or handset in case of apple with which they connect using wifi or bluetooth.

thats the cheaper variant of smart watches with Bluetooth connectivity... cellular one is 100$ more just like iPads

I also had zen watch 2 but a policeman stole it from my car during checking :D

@chharoonahmad if you are looking for style go for Skagen falster 3 and for performance go for Garmin forerunner.
Btw active 2 is a good choice as well.

Short answer to your question is NO, Whilst Pakistani telco's have the UTMS and LTE bands that support E-Sim, Pakistan based Telco's do not support the e-sim feature of smartwatches at present, this is because of the way PTA regulates frequency allocations to carriers. Presently the only carrier that allows e-sim activation in Mobilink Jazz and only a few handsets: iPhone XS, XS Max, XR, Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL.

If you want to have a wearable for fitness may I recommend the Garmin or fitbit series, you can also use non cellular Bluetooth variants of smartwatches, options are limited but blame PTA for being so strict on frequency allocation.

It's 4G, hence it comes under the umbrella of UTMS and LTE devices under PTA frequency allocation restrictions. Sorry, I know it's rubbish :(

I'm sorry but I needed to ask you this. I was discussing it with someone else and that person told me that he hasn't used any smart watch but a cellular smart watch should work fine as long as e-sim is supported by the carrier.

On this webpage, https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_watch_active2-9784.php, it's said that Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 uses "NETWORK Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE". So, one can say that LTE is not supported but both GSM and HSPA should work fine. Could you please guide me with this? Thank you!

Short answer to your question is NO, Whilst Pakistani telco's have the UTMS and LTE bands that support E-Sim, Pakistan based Telco's do not support the e-sim feature of smartwatches at present, this is because of the way PTA regulates frequency allocations to carriers. Presently the only carrier that allows e-sim activation in Mobilink Jazz and only a few handsets: iPhone XS, XS Max, XR, Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL.

If you want to have a wearable for fitness may I recommend the Garmin or fitbit series, you can also use non cellular Bluetooth variants of smartwatches, options are limited but blame PTA for being so strict on frequency allocation.

Jazz support eSim.

Jazz support eSim.
Thank you. I believe Jazz and Warid are now one network so both these networks should support e-sim. Could you please confirm it?

Earlier @RescueRanger said that LTE version of the watch cannot work but I'm not sure anymore. Please have a look on my previous posting. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you. I believe Jazz and Warid are now one network so both these networks should support e-sim. Could you please confirm it?

Earlier @RescueRanger said that LTE version of the watch cannot work but I'm not sure anymore. Please have a look on my previous posting. Thank you.

As I have said before, PTA does NOT allow any mobile operator to support smartwatch UTMS /4g e-sims. The e-sim frequency allocation is only for certain smartphones for "dual" sim option i.e. iphone.

https://jazz.com.pk/explore/esim

So to repeat what I said before, You can't use a UTMS/4G/LTE SMARTWATCH in PAKISTAN.

Jazz support eSim.
E-sim for UTMS Phones and Smartwatches are two different frequencies brother. :)

As I have said before, PTA does NOT allow any mobile operator to support smartwatch UTMS /4g e-sims. The e-sim frequency allocation is only for certain smartphones for "dual" sim option i.e. iphone.

https://jazz.com.pk/explore/esim

So to repeat what I said before, You can't use a UTMS/4G/LTE SMARTWATCH in PAKISTAN.

E-sim for UTMS Phones and Smartwatches are two different frequencies brother. :)

Thank you for confirming that it could not be used at all on any carrier.

Just curious that how you know this. Hopefully, you don't mind this. My understanding is that most people in Pakistan are not interested in such stuff, frequency allocation etc. If possible, please do let me know. You can always PM me. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom