What's new

Video: Turn rate comparison of F-16, MiG-29 and JF-17 Thunder!

Ping

Reaction score
Country
India
Here is the turn rate comparison of these fighters. You may have noticed similar videos on youtube comparing JF-17 with F-16 and such, but this video was kept hidden away from most of us because it was on a less known site. It was recently brought to my notice in another topic as a side note, but I think it requires its very own thread.

Click on the pic

Further reading: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...00s-close-combat-performance.html#post3253108

jF-17 is a decent fighter which is a tad better than what LCA is as of now..

jF-17 is a decent fighter which is a tad better than what LCA is as of now..

I don't think so, the LCA can rightfully be called a 4.5+ gen fighter, the Thunder is great "bang for your buck" but IMHO the LCA is ahead and with future upgrades will only extend its lead over the JF-17.

^ You just committed a crime brother.....LCA have brighter future than JF-17 :no:

I don't think so, the LCA can rightfully be called a 4.5+ gen fighter, the Thunder is great "bang for your buck" but IMHO the LCA is ahead and with future upgrades will only extend its lead over the JF-17.

For now the LCA is still on paper, only when it is flying in Indian colours will we be able to truly verify it's performance and technical parameters, in that time, the Thunder will also be rolling out as Mk-II. Which should incorporate, as per the Sino-Pak MoU on Defence R&D, an AESA Radar, TVT Capability, Internal IRST Pod and other design based improvements.

Why is JF17 compared with two of the best 4+ gen fighter jets ? Around 1600+ Mig29 and 4500+ F16 are produced till this date. Its stupididty to compare these aircraft with a aircraft which its own designer doesn't use. Common guys...if JF17 is so nice China would be inducting it in huge numbers.

Real world, may be.. Defence.pk... definitely not ;)
bright future only on indian defence forum , not in real world ..
come out of euphoria

Why is JF17 compared with two of the best 4+ gen fighter jets ? Around 1600+ Mig29 and 4500+ F16 are produced till this date. Its stupididty to compare these aircraft with a aircraft which its own designer doesn't use. Common guys...if JF17 is so nice China would be inducting it in huge numbers.
JF-17 light weight fighter and suits countries like PAKISTAN , china is interested in heavy weight and medium weight fighters like J-10 and j-11....
JF-17 serves our interests that,s all we need , we don't bother what u people say

For now the LCA is still on paper, only when it is flying in Indian colours will we be able to truly verify it's performance and technical parameters, in that time, the Thunder will also be rolling out as Mk-II. Which should incorporate, as per the Sino-Pak MoU on Defence R&D, an AESA Radar, TVT Capability, Internal IRST Pod and other design based improvements.

Its flying with Indian colors!!!, and not paper. At the basics you are also early in comparing LCA MK2 with JF17 MK2 when we dont even knoww the timeline..let both come in mark 2 verssion and and we will see.

World has changed.... Sukhoi 30MKI doesnt need Turning. It just flips backwards.... While PAK-FA dont need turning or Flip.... It can fire backwards even when its flying ahead....

JF-17 light weight fighter and suits countries like PAKISTAN , china is interested in heavy weight and medium weight fighters like J-10 and j-11....
JF-17 serves our interests that,s all we need , we don't bother what u people say
Thats actually very nicely put. I didn't meant that JF17 is a bad fighter jet. I actually meant something along the line that you said.

I will tell you why JF17 should'nt be compared to F16 ad Mig29.

1) Mig29 is totally different class of aircraft. It obviously will have advantage plus it is one of the best design aerodynamically.

2) F16 first introduced in 1978 and US has made around 4500 of these and it has developed over the years into a very advanced jet.

Now comes JF17 and LCA. We should compare these two aircrafts together as they are in the same category and they are still under changes from the development agencies. ou cannot compare these two aircrafts with F16 and Mig29 but you can compare hem with each other.

...LCA and JF17...
There is no doubt that LCA is still under development and the delays are common as compared to more matured aircraft JF17.

1. Avionics : Lets be honest on one hand you have the combination of the best from France, Israel, Italy and India and on the other hand you Soviet era reverse engineered tech or lets say Chinese build. I really don't know how good is Chinese avionics but i know that combination of the best from France, Israel, Italy and India is good.

2. Engine
JF17
Dry thrust: 49.4 kN Klimov RD-93 or WS-13 turbofan (testing phase)
Thrust with afterburner: 84.5 kN

LCA
Dry thrust: 53.9 kN[86] (12,100 lbf) F404-GE-IN20 turbofan
Thrust with afterburner: 85 kN (19,100 lbf)

I think we can agree here that LCA engine is better.

3. Radar
I have to ask which radar is JF17 using and ask yourself that can it be better that an advanced version of EL/M-2032 ? I really don't have to explain how good are Israeli radars.

4. Weapons
jf17

Air-to-air missiles:
AIM-9L/M (Short-range)
PL-5E (Short-range)
PL-9C (Short-range)
PL-12 / SD-10 (Beyond visual range)

Air-to-surface missiles:
MAR-1 (Anti-radiation missile)[98]
C-802A (Anti-ship missile)[76]
C-803 (Anti-ship missile)
Ra'ad ALCM (Nuclear capable Stealth Cruise missile)

LCA

Air-to-air missiles:
Python 5
Derby[95]
Astra Beyond Visual Range missile
Vympel R-77
Vympel R-73

Air-to-surface missiles:
Kh-59ME (TV guided standoff Missile)
Kh-59MK (Laser guided standoff Missile)
Anti-ship missiles
Kh-35
Kh-31

Looks like the weapons being used in LCA are quite good but i have to say i really don't know how good are Chinese missiles.

3. Radar
I have to ask which radar is JF17 using and ask yourself that can it be better that an advanced version of EL/M-2032 ? I really don't have to explain how good are Israeli radars.

JF-17 uses the KLJ-7 radar (a smaller scaled-down version of the KLJ-10 with a smaller
antenna and aperture gain). As per available figures it can see a 5m^2 RCS target at 105km
and a 3m^2 target at 75km. EL/M-2032 can see a 5m^2 at 150km+...this measure
itself is enough to judge what's the better radar.

Another thing KLJ-7's range for 5m^2 in Look-Down Mode decreases to 85km only while
2032's look-down range remains constant at 150km, that gives the 2032-carrying LCA much
better awareness against ground targets while doing CAS or interdiction on ground targets.

2032 also enjoys higher aperture gain, lower Reciever Noise Figure/Temperature signatures,
higher Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF), higher average/peak power outputs and greater
radar burnthrough performance in jamming enemy radars in combination with the EL/M-8248
or the advanced EL/L-8251 self-protection jammer suites, which do derive some tech from the
systems Israel plans to use on its future fleet of F-35I Lightning-II Joint Strike Fighter. It is
unclear what types of jammers LCA uses right now but these systems listed above are on
the anvil for integration in the future.

As of today one would bet on the thunder compared to the LCA, for the simple reason that it is on production. Tomorrow would be a new ball game all to gather.

As of today one would bet on the thunder compared to the LCA, for the simple reason that it is on production. Tomorrow would be a new ball game all to gather.

JF-17 is a compilation of existing tech.

While for LCA everything had to be developed from scratch, tech like FBW, avionics, aircraft design
and wind-tunnel testing, India was complelety new to these techs. While the pakistanis got majority
of JF-17's work done by the chinese who have had much exp. in copying stuff. That too with completely
existing tech, nothing all-new was developed, except DSI (for the chinese).

Its natural it takes time to build things from scratch...and for a novice aircraftmaker like India...how
much time did it take UK, Germany, spain & italy combined to build Typhoon? That in spite of their decades
of aviation expertise...big time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom