What's new

Vietnam convicts 14 activists of 'anti-state plot'

Reaction score
BBC News - Vietnam convicts 14 activists of 'anti-state plot'

A court in Vietnam has convicted 14 political activists of plotting to overthrow the communist state.

Thirteen were jailed for between three and 13 years, while one received a suspended sentence. Most are Catholics, and they include bloggers and students.

The 12 men and two women were accused of links with the Viet Tan, an exiled organisation in the US, which Vietnam's government considers a militant group.

Rights groups have called the verdict "outrageous".

The jailed activists also face house arrest of between three and five years on their release, Viet Tan says.

The sentences are among the harshest given to any political dissident in Vietnam in recent years, says Nga Pham of the BBC's Vietnamese service.

She says the trial attracted much public attention because there were so many defendants, and most were Roman Catholics.

Hundreds of policemen were sent to the courtroom in the city of Vinh, in Nghe An province, for the two-day trial.

US criticism

"All of these defendants, including alleged ringleader Ho Duc Hoa, were imprisoned for exercising their rights in activities that should have never been criminalised in the first place," said Phil Robertson, deputy director of Human Rights Watch's Asia division.

"It's outrageous that the authorities targeted Ho Duc Hoa's involvement in volunteer activities intended to help the poor and improve the quality of life in his community as proof of a desire to somehow overthrow the government."

The US embassy in Hanoi issued a statement criticising the sentences, saying the accused were only exercising their right to freedom of expression.

Charges of spreading anti-state propaganda and attempting to overthrow the government are often made against dissidents in Vietnam.

An appeals court in December upheld the sentences of two prominent bloggers jailed in September for "anti-state propaganda".

One received 12 years and the other 10 years in jail after a brief trial.

I hope freedom comes to the oppressed people of Vietnam soon. Such brave activists. More people will raise their voice against the government.

BBC News - Vietnam convicts 14 activists of 'anti-state plot'

A court in Vietnam has convicted 14 political activists of plotting to overthrow the communist state.

Thirteen were jailed for between three and 13 years, while one received a suspended sentence. Most are Catholics, and they include bloggers and students.

The 12 men and two women were accused of links with the Viet Tan, an exiled organisation in the US, which Vietnam's government considers a militant group.

Rights groups have called the verdict "outrageous".

The jailed activists also face house arrest of between three and five years on their release, Viet Tan says.

The sentences are among the harshest given to any political dissident in Vietnam in recent years, says Nga Pham of the BBC's Vietnamese service.

She says the trial attracted much public attention because there were so many defendants, and most were Roman Catholics.

Hundreds of policemen were sent to the courtroom in the city of Vinh, in Nghe An province, for the two-day trial.

US criticism

"All of these defendants, including alleged ringleader Ho Duc Hoa, were imprisoned for exercising their rights in activities that should have never been criminalised in the first place," said Phil Robertson, deputy director of Human Rights Watch's Asia division.

"It's outrageous that the authorities targeted Ho Duc Hoa's involvement in volunteer activities intended to help the poor and improve the quality of life in his community as proof of a desire to somehow overthrow the government."

The US embassy in Hanoi issued a statement criticising the sentences, saying the accused were only exercising their right to freedom of expression.

Charges of spreading anti-state propaganda and attempting to overthrow the government are often made against dissidents in Vietnam.

An appeals court in December upheld the sentences of two prominent bloggers jailed in September for "anti-state propaganda".

One received 12 years and the other 10 years in jail after a brief trial.

I hope freedom comes to the oppressed people of Vietnam soon. Such brave activists. More people will raise their voice against the government.

Isn't that rich coming from a Commie. Don't get me wrong. Your Political affiliation is not being judged here. As long as Vietnam keep their "problem" within their country & keeps the trade flowing. I won't complain about how they treat their people.

Strange words, coming from the citizen of a fellow commie state. :D

They are friends of Sinochallenger, he can protest in china for freedom of all activists in the world.

This thread filled with funny, why? Can't stop laugh~!

Just laught at ,China support christian? The Vatican Pope must not agree with u.

You troll is just approve what I think, double face in policy; you have problem with Vatican but like to use christian activists to make troubles for Vietnam.

You troll is just approve what I think, double face in policy; you have problem with Vatican but like to use christian activists to make troubles for Vietnam.
Bro, u need to provide evidences to prove China supported ur christian activists.
At least i didn't read any sources or news about the connection between China government and ur Vietnam christian activists. Did these christian activists tell Vietnam judge that they were from China or get supports from China?

U always told me that China support ur guys, okay pls share me ur source ...

Bro, u need to provide evidences to prove China supported ur christian activists.
At least i didn't read any sources or news about the connection between China government and ur Vietnam christian activists. Did these christian activists tell Vietnam judge that they were from China or get supports from China?

U always told me that China support ur guys, okay pls share me ur source ...

You can read the comment of Chinese boy SinoChallaner above; He is typical chinese in China today.

quoted : "I hope freedom comes to the oppressed people of Vietnam soon. Such brave activists. More people will raise their voice against the government."

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/china-...-activists-anti-state-plot.html#ixzz2HXdSF6q3

You can read the comment of Chinese boy SinoChallaner above; He is typical chinese in China today.
quoted : "I hope freedom comes to the oppressed people of Vietnam soon. Such brave activists. More people will raise their voice against the government."
Hehe,ur words make me laugh. Okayokay...That's @SinoChallaner's comments wrote here, one guy's comment can't stand for a government's attitude and foreign policy. If u dislike above comment, u can discuss with the member @SinoChallaner, but it's not a voice of China officials. We called a private opinion, not represent the official attitude.

Hehe,ur words make me laugh. Okayokay...That's @SinoChallaner's comments wrote here, one guy's comment can't stand for a government's attitude and foreign policy. If u dislike above comment, u can discuss with the member @SinoChallaner, but it's not a voice of China officials. We called a private opinion, not represent the official attitude.
I feel sick because you could say that, cnleio..... :cheesy:

Back
Top Bottom