What's new

Vietnam says No to low value added manufacturing

TPP has more additional restriction to WTO like intellectual properties protection. It is from American perspective an "improvement" to the "mistake" of WTO. So that other country could not emulate/copy China's success again. So it is ok to join TPP if you want to do only low value added products.

Whatever to say, the most important aspect or core is China has more than 4 trillion currency reserve. This is ability and possibility to realize ideas.

Whatever to say, the most important aspect or core is China has more than 4 trillion currency reserve. This is ability and possibility to realize ideas.
In 2015 US president state of the union speech,

Obama Takes A ‘Cheap Shot’ at China in SOTU Speech CHINA US Focus | CHINA US Focus

Using the State of the Union address to deliver a ‘cheap shot’ is hard to imagine, but this is what President Obama did when on January 20 he declared “…as we speak, China wants to write the rules for the world’s fastest growing region.”

And what Obama said next was no less provocative: “That would put our workers and businesses at a disadvantage. Why should we let that happen? We should write the rules…” Obama was clearly referring to the U.S.-crafted Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) “21st century trading agreement,” seeking a way to spur the now Republican-controlled Congress to grant him “fast track” authority needed to bring talks to conclusion.

US considered the current WTO system as unfair to them, as Obama said TPP is to "level the playing field".

So the basic idea of TPP is for the US to write the rule for trade to replace WTO in Asia. Probably by setting up trade agreements and precedent in TPP for the allies countries and then let China join with the rules already written by US.

But I think TPP is already way too late. China has already start moving up the value chain. TPP is not going to stop China in time, just like it could not do that to Japan. So the only reason left to write the rules is to limit/prevent other country other than China to do that. I would be willing to reconsider if US can convince India to join TPP.

If China had been weak, it would now be part of the TPP.

Japan is not that weak, hence, it is making life a bit harder for the US government. We will see where is the make or break point.

TPP is a vertical institution. To be in it, you must find a place for yourself somewhere under the US. I believe Vietnam is to be placed at the very bottom of the value chain.

China's RCEP and FTAAP, on the other, are horizontal. Hence, it is more mutually-enhancing. Nations are free to play as they wish.

Right, China has been the biggest trade player in the world, and are the biggest trade partner for most countries.
US has basically lost its capability to conduct a China-excluded trade system.
Next time, It is US not China to beg to join the existing trade system.
In 2015 US president state of the union speech,

Obama Takes A ‘Cheap Shot’ at China in SOTU Speech CHINA US Focus | CHINA US Focus

US considered the current WTO system as unfair to them, as Obama said TPP is to "level the playing field".

So the basic idea of TPP is for the US to write the rule for trade to replace WTO in Asia. Probably by setting up trade agreements and precedent in TPP for the allies countries and then let China join with the rules already written by US.

But I think TPP is already way too late. China has already start moving up the value chain. TPP is not going to stop China in time, just like it could not do that to Japan. So the only reason left to write the rules is to limit/prevent other country other than China to do that. I would be willing to reconsider if US can convince India to join TPP.

Back
Top Bottom