What's new

Was Iraq better off under Sadam Hussein ?

The country was definitely safer. The sectarianism was kept in check too. Many Iraqi Shia Arabs like to tell a fairytale of Shias not being a part of the past system while most Shias were actually Ba'athi too. Many in the leadership too. Convinced too as many fought against the "Islamic" Iran during the Iraq-Iran war. Also Iraq is not a Western democracy today after the fall of Saddam Hussein. In many ways it's just a more sectarian continuation of what the previous dictatorships were all about. On SOME areas at least.

On the other hand there are not any large scale massacres anymore by the state (outside of state sponsored militias and discrimination), no leader worship (that's reserved for the clerics), more personal rights, a more inclusive political system etc.

But that question totally depends on which segment of the population you ask. The Sunnis will tell you that it was better before and the Shias that it's much better now. The Kurds will say the same.

Economy also has a lot to say here. Social rights too.

I am pretty certain that Iraq would be better off with a sane/responsible secular leader. Although a strongman like Saddam Hussein. Than the current lot.

Overall I would say it is better for the average Iraqi. In terms of Iraq as a country (stability wise) it's worse.

In all seriousness then Saddam Hussein was a madman who when he lived was largely disliked by ALL Iraqis but people tend to get another reputation after their deaths and when problems occur. Its' due to people romanticizing the past.

Bro, Iraq was much better under Saddam Shaheed.

Only Western touts and self-mutilating shias spew propaganda against Saddam

So basically, it was better!

Yeap it was better but we can't say, a dictator is better for Iraq. Let's give all of the authority to one man and let him rule with his Iron fist..

Basically Saddam is the sole reason why Iraq get fvcked up... At the end countries getting ruled by Dictators will get restless eventually.... i mean look at Arab spring.

Basically the answer to the question is, YES, Iraq was much better off under Saddam Hussain......same as Libya was much better of under Qadhafi.

Bro, Iraq was much better under Saddam Shaheed.

Only Western touts and self-mutilating shias spew propaganda against Saddam
I am neither bro but I can nevertheless be objective when needed. I still stick to them. I just wrote my opinions in this thread and I will first evaluate them after the next coming years. My views are based on what has happened from 2003 until now and what I knew from the Saddam Hussein regime from reliable sources.

No. Was Germany better off under Hitler? It is a hard road to travel. But in the end they hopefully will figure out a decent path. Maybe not as the nation they thought, though.

i hate saddam but it was far more better during his rule

It's kind of a trade-off but if I were an Iraqi I think I would have picked Saddam rule. Simply put, Saddam was a dictator but Iraq was one of the strongest countries in the region with a pretty good army and the country overall was pretty safe. Nowadays Iraq may be a bit more democratic but I honestly don't think it was worth it considering the violence and the explosions that we hear of everyday in the news in Iraq.

It's kind of a trade-off but if I were an Iraqi I think I would have picked Saddam rule. Simply put, Saddam was a dictator but Iraq was one of the strongest countries in the region with a pretty good army and the country overall was pretty safe. Nowadays Iraq may be a bit more democratic but I honestly don't think it was worth it considering the violence and the explosions that we hear of everyday in the news in Iraq.

Currently, Iraq is in civil war. At least during Saddam's time, there was a sense of calm and peace.

Had Saddam been still alive, this so called ISIS would have been dealt with quickly.

Economics-wise: Yes
Education-wise: Yes
Stability-wise: Yes
Defense-wise: Yes
Quality of life-Wise: Yes
Infrastructure-wise: Yes

Saddam was vehemently an anti-Usraeli and a stunt supporter of the Arab cause (over the islamic cause, i.e., the Attack on Iran little empty islands), so they (and their Western allies: since for them there was no way of allowing two strong Muslim countries side by side; just have a look at the divide of the Muslim world between pro-east and pro-west country by country) have manipulated the Kurds to start provoking his regime, he obviously had to respond, but went to some extreme like using chemicals on rats to exterminate them, which was a big propaganda hit for Usrael and allies, and a big Political blunder by Saddam and a humane one too.
His second political blunder was the unprovoked attack on Iran.
The third Political blunder of his was to attack Kuwait.
Saddam was a political failure, but a great success in many other fields for his people of Iraq.

Politically-wise: No

Currently, Iraq is in civil war. At least during Saddam's time, there was a sense of calm and peace.

Had Saddam been still alive, this so called ISIS would have been dealt with quickly.
Exactly. My point is, if Iraqi people are willing to trade peace for a somewhat democracy, then by all means Iraq is better now. But I don't think any person is willing to live in a fake democracy under civil war.

Exactly. My point is, if Iraqi people are willing to trade peace for a somewhat democracy, then by all means Iraq is better now. But I don't think any person is willing to live in a fake democracy under civil war.
Iraqis wanted and still wanted the democracy but just to be honest the sunni of Iraq want a dictator regime since that is the only way they can control the country and that is what make the country in chaos but let them know they will fail the rest of the Iraqis will prevail now look at the Sunni of Iraq with whom they allied.

da3ish mainly chechen saudis syrians afghanis that's what the suni want in iraq.

Iraqis wanted and still wanted the democracy but just to be honest the sunni of Iraq want a dictator regime since that is the only way they can control the country and that is what make the country in chaos but let them know they will fail the rest of the Iraqis will prevail now look at the Sunni of Iraq with whom they allied.

da3ish mainly chechen saudis syrians afghanis that's what the suni want in iraq.
Let's be honest, what you're living in right now is definitely not a democracy. Those who shake hands with the president of the country that had just wrecked your country to pieces ( no offense intended ) are neither patriots nor democrats. I understand that the Shia do not like Saddam, but at least during his era your country wasn't in a state of civil war. At least not on almost a daily basis u hear in the news " An explosion near a restraurant in X region in Baghdad has resulted in the death of 46 people and the injury of 87 ".
I don't know why the Sunnis will want a dictatorship in Iraq to be honest. Care to elaborate?

Let's be honest, what you're living in right now is definitely not a democracy. Those who shake hands with the president of the country that had just wrecked your country to pieces ( no offense intended ) are neither patriots nor democrats. I understand that the Shia do not like Saddam, but at least during his era your country wasn't in a state of civil war. At least not on almost a daily basis u hear in the news " An explosion near a restraurant in X region in Baghdad has resulted in the death of 46 people and the injury of 87 ".
I don't know why the Sunnis will want a dictatorship in Iraq to be honest. Care to elaborate?
First of all where are you from.

Second you have to know that Baathist the Saddam party they are the one who do all this chaos in the country.

plus they are very strong among the sunni people so they push them to elect baathist to the parliament so they can delay every thing in the country.

Now do you know they have prime president Tariq alhashimi a criminal who fled to turky.

they have a second prime minister after almaliki.

do you know they have the head of the parlaiment.

all these are baathist their main job is to delay any progress not only that.

they also have groups of terrorists that assassinate iraqis especially in Baghdad .

So yes they're the one who try to make Iraqis and non Iraqis to think the same way you think which Saddam period was better than this democracy.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom