What's new

What devoured glamorous Pakistan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just a sterotype. Most Punjabis don't have a superiority complex.

Yes its a stereotype, but its not abt the superiority complex, its abt an ostentatious culture. In India we have that stereotype of Punjabis.

Having access to financial data of thousands of pakistanis and indians, I know that Pakistanis do spend a lot more than Indians. Indians and Chinese save a much larger part of their income (those with disposable income of course) than pakistanis. I don't know why.

Loan default rate of Pakistanis is also many times higher.

Yes its a stereotype, but its not abt the superiority complex, its abt an ostentatious culture. In India we have that stereotype of Punjabis.

Having access to financial data of thousands of pakistanis and indians, I know that Pakistanis do spend a lot more than Indians. Indians and Chinese save a much larger part of their income (those with disposable income of course) than pakistanis. I don't know why.

Loan default rate of Pakistanis is also many times higher.

Well BCCI, Mahmud Sipra, Gokals and many other defaulted on their loan payments and ran to Pakistan.

Sipra and Gokals both spent some time in the cell.

But I would not rate these guys on the same level as the Saigols, Hashwani's, Shahnawaz, Habibs and many others who are our real elites with staying power.

That was great article..!!

Today's concern is India is following the same path as of Pakistan then..

The gap between the little known rich people and the mass poor under poverty people increasing. Indian government doing very less towards that matter. For example NAXALISM problem.Because they never feel that they are living in country so called next super power.

We Indian never gave the chance to them to feel proud about. Uneven development in different states of India is major concern. Look at Delhi, Gujarat, AP those states are doing well. Others like Assam J&K is ignored. So its high time.We need to fight against poverty,education, unemployment, health care. Need massive investment in those areas.

Then next threat to India is the democracy own. It is killing us since it gives more chance of corruption. The welfare funds of government never goes to the needful.

Lastly, if we don't help our self no one will help us..!!

Conspicuous consumption

is a term used to describe the lavish spending on goods and services acquired mainly for the purpose of displaying income or wealth. In the mind of a conspicuous consumer, such display serves as a means of attaining or maintaining social status. A very similar but more colloquial term is "keeping up with the Joneses".
Invidious consumption, a more specialized term, refers to consumption deliberately intended to cause envy.
Conspicuous consumption is antagonistic to sustainability because it greatly increases resource use and environmental impact.

Simply put what the west found glamorous about Pakistan in the 70s is exactly what disgusts it now.

Our terrorists were cool freedom fighters (as if they weren't as oppressive, intolerant back then), our feudal lords were envied by rich brats all over the world (as he said everyone wanted to be guests of the bhuttos and spoke about their feudal culture)...

Actually only the west has changed, we're as good or as bad as we always were :).

We need to change now.

These terrorists were cool to the west because they operated at a far distant place and their theater of operations was limited. So.. the west could marvel at the macho image from an arm's length.

No western cared a **** about the Taliban before 9/11, though the afghans were still suffering.

Suicide attacks, subway bombings etc. in western cities changed all that as the terror entered the drawing rooms of western households. Hence the disgust now..

That was great article..!!

Today's concern is India is following the same path as of Pakistan then..

The gap between the little known rich people and the mass poor under poverty people increasing. Indian government doing very less towards that matter. For example NAXALISM problem.Because they never feel that they are living in country so called next super power.

We Indian never gave the chance to them to feel proud about. Uneven development in different states of India is major concern. Look at Delhi, Gujarat, AP those states are doing well. Others like Assam J&K is ignored. So its high time.We need to fight against poverty,education, unemployment, health care. Need massive investment in those areas.

Then next threat to India is the democracy own. It is killing us since it gives more chance of corruption. The welfare funds of government never goes to the needful.

Lastly, if we don't help our self no one will help us..!!

It is not a question of ignoring them. It is the question of wanting to develop. Look at Calcutta - till the 1960s - Bombay and Cal were on par as important business centers of India. Look at it now. It is a joke. Who is to blame for it but the people and the administration? Everytime I go to Goa, people there seem to work only grudgingly. If Assam or Bengal or any part of India wants to develop, there is nothing to stop them but their own shackles of caste and laziness.

Well maybe the lavish spending so often practised by Pakistanis goes back centuries? Just look at our weddings, the bling, the music, the number of funtions etc. Reminds you of what a Mughal Prince would have spent on his wedding. Ok maybe im taking it a bit too far, but the idea is that we shouldnt be proud of this. After all the Mughals downfall was due to their excessive spending. Just a thought :)

I think its punjabi mentality of showing off irrepective of means i have lot of punjabi friends and they flaunt a lot kind of propaganda thou substance wise they are nil zero sifar...............................

True, Fukri all time :bunny: Movie names are like Maula Jatt, Yaari Jatt Di, Jatt Da Gandasa, Jatt Pardesi :lol:

Jats maintain both friendship and enmity for generations. Though times changed, now all castes are Ghee-Shakar, Money talks.

Para from Shinda's song.
47762960.png

Last edited:
That's just a sterotype. Most Punjabis don't have a superiority complex.
I am not only talkin abt pakistani ones but indian ones as well man look at there wedding they are so lavish no matter if they are not giving there payments on time
In fact lot of them seem to be poser i have many friends whose nick name at home resembelce sicilian mafia like tony mickey sunny rocky etc again generalistion is bad but these type of things are commonly found in punjabis

I M Punjabi, We do spend alot on marriages etc, lifestyle is so levish, many are addicted to Opium, which is very expensive. 2nd highest consumers of Alcohal in India IIRC. Ludhiana no where near in comparison to Big Cities in India, still home to mind boggling number of Mercedes.

and Shaunk of Gold, Bullet Bike, Jeep, .32 bore.

Last edited:
Isn't ostentatiously spending kind of look down upon as lack of taste?

It is not a question of ignoring them. It is the question of wanting to develop. Look at Calcutta - till the 1960s - Bombay and Cal were on par as important business centers of India. Look at it now. It is a joke. Who is to blame for it but the people and the administration? Everytime I go to Goa, people there seem to work only grudgingly. If Assam or Bengal or any part of India wants to develop, there is nothing to stop them but their own shackles of caste and laziness.

Wait, wait sir, we are working day and night(even during Bandhs :P) to get her lost heritage back! :D

I M Punjabi, We do spend alot on marriages etc, lifestyle is so levish, many are addicted to Opium, which is very expensive. 2nd highest consumers of Alcohal in India IIRC. Ludhiana no where near in comparison to Big Cities in India, still home to mind boggling number of Mercedes.

and Shaunk of Gold, Bullet Bike, Jeep, .32 bore.

Well mate don't take it to heart but i was just saying wat i saw OTOH i am a marathi livining in haryana (jaatland) for 20 or so years on marathi's i ill say they are most miserly people you ill ever see n the most introvert or i ill say they don't mix with anybody or kuan ka maindhak kinda thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom