What's new

What is a neutron bomb?

Ivan the Immigrant

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I've heard about neutron bombs a lot recently but I still do not understand what they are exactly. As I understood, neutron bomb is fussion nuclear bomb which is set to minimum yield possible, right?

a nuclear weapon that produces large numbers of neutrons rather than heat or blast, and is consequently harmful to life but not destructive of property

a nuclear weapon that produces large numbers of neutrons rather than heat or blast, and is consequently harmful to life but not destructive of property

Yes but what confuses me about neutron bomb is that it is still nuclear yield weapon. It still can destroy a lot with blast itself?

A neutron bomb is fission boosted device that has a fissile core which explodes on fission and produces high temperature to fuse the deuterium and tritium and release large number of neutrons.

I've heard about neutron bombs a lot recently but I still do not understand what they are exactly. As I understood, neutron bomb is fussion nuclear bomb which is set to minimum yield possible, right?

"A neutron bomb, officially defined as a type of enhanced radiation weapon (ERW), is a low yield thermonuclear weapon designed to maximize lethal neutron radiation in the immediate vicinity of the blast while minimizing the physical power of the blast itself. The neutron release generated by a nuclear fusion reaction is intentionally allowed to escape the weapon, rather than being absorbed by its other components. The neutron burst, which is used as the primary destructive action of the warhead, is able to penetrate enemy armor more effectively than a conventional warhead, thus making it more lethal as a tactical weapon."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_bomb

It is still a nuclear weapon, there is nothing small or trivial about its use.

used against ballistic missiles.

like Gorgon or Sprint.

Back
Top Bottom