What's new

What Is Pakistan Real Annual Defense Budget

Storm Force

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Officialy like all nations Pakistan declares a National Defense budget annually.

Most people suggest this to be around 4% of GDP at present ($170 billion GDP) EQUATING too $6.5 billion per year.

People have asked is this total REAL SPEND for example ie on

Nuclear Arsenal development
R & D
Capital Expenditure on new weapons like f22 frigates & Thunders etc.
Wages Salaries
Pensions for x serviceman.
Current maintenance training etc.

BUT HAS ALWAYS WE GET DIFFERENT ANSWERS AND OPINIONS.

Most of these explanations just dont add up.

Pakistan has one of the largest FULL TIME military FORCES in numbers in the world with over 550,000 Army Navy & Air force people

An airforce equal in nos (if not quality) to RAF Israel Japan France And Taiwan. @ 400+

And a smalL but expanding nuke weapons programme... This alone must cost hundreds of millions of dollars just to maintain. ONLY 7 NATIONS HAVE NUCLEAR WEAPONS

how is it possible on a tiny budget of $5.5 billion.

"some forum member claim an even smaller allocation at 3.5% of GDP
This would give annual spend of just $5.8 billion...

Last edited:
Just to compare with neighbour and rival in allocation

Indian defence budget for 2009-2010 was $32.7 billion

This was broken down into roughly

Wages Salaries Pension x service staff $10 billion.
Current running cost $12 billion
Capital cost new weapon $8 billion
R & D balance $2.7 billion.

Pakistans Wages & Salaries cost alone must be in region of $4 billion assumig similiar benefits for current and past staff

If this is true this leaves a paltry $2 billion for running costs of a very large military power with nuke weapons and finance for new equipment.

IN OTHER WORDS $6 BILLION CANNOT BE CORRECT. !!!!!!!

Do you agree PDF members ???

looking the current mess in pakistan, this is well justified to have a good defence budget. after all it is their money, let them spend as per their priorities.

I have also shown examples of ther powers that be of interest in comparison

Israel $15 billion per year excludes ($2 billion a year of new USA equipment & spares per annum has grant aid)

Indoneasia $5 billion put half the air force far bigger navy than Pakistan and no nukes half the Army and armour

Turkey $19 billion per year

I believe the nuke programme is seperate from the defense budget and the new equipment as well.

But stil then its stil impossible to main 500,000 land army 450 combat planes all the logistics fof amo transport bases to support them on $5-6 billion.

I,M ONLY GUESSING BUT I THINK PAKISTAN SPENDS CLOSER TO 7% in real GDP terms even higher prehaps

This wud equate too $11-12 billion per year

every nation have hidden military budgets,the same is with pakistan also,as far as i think they should have an equal amount in hidden budgets also,i dont know if that help their economy or not but without that it is definitly hard to maintain a huge force and a nuclear programme

Even nations like China and India even after their huge defense budgets r rumored to have the budget in range of $150 and $70 billion respectively

every nation have hidden military budgets,the same is with pakistan also,as far as i think they should have an equal amount in hidden budgets also,i dont know if that help their economy or not but without that it is definitly hard to maintain a huge force and a nuclear programme

Even nations like China and India even after their huge defense budgets r rumored to have the budget in range of $150 and $70 billion respectively

Would like a source atleast for India, if we start believing rumors, then I can spread many of them right here, right now.

i also agree ,india have budget atleast more than 40 billion dollars.just look at the purchases in the air force n navy.

I dont know how much credible it is,but according to Stockholm International Peace Research Institute India have a defence budget in excess of $ 70 billions,and that to in 2007

http://www.sipri.org/yearbook/2008/files/SIPRIYB0805.pdf

The figure of $72.7 billion that you see is in terms of Purchasing power parity while in terms of market exchange rate its $24.2 billion (figures for 2007)

May be a financial expert can shed more light on the difference between the two.

Don't forget there is so many company under Pakistan army so with annual budget add all this company shares also...

The figure of $72.7 billion that you see is in terms of Purchasing power parity while in terms of market exchange rate its $24.2 billion (figures for 2007)

May be a financial expert can shed more light on the difference between the two.

ok i did not noticed the PPP issue here,PPP is nothing but comparison of identical goods in two different countries,i mean exchange rate based on
relative price levels of two countries,i always find it always a little difficult to understand this PPP phenomenom

Our defence budget is not revealed..
2)Pensions and salaries come from ministry of finance.
3)It was 8+ billion$ in musharaf era....Raised more this year....
4)1 billion$ frm USA aid grants.
5)Pak armed forces have giant corp.. companies... frm fertilizer giants,mega cement factories,schools,universities,medical and engineering collages etc.....which provided jobs...etc etc

Pakistan doesn't need to spend so much. India faces two rivals Pakistan and China. It has to protect itself against both. After that its a bigger country than so it also needs to larger areas of land. But then there are the internal problems it has. It has many different groups of separatists of revolutionists trying to change the country which it needs to fight, also there is Kashmir. Then there are all the bad decisions (aircraft carrier which is not suitable for a conflict) and failed technology (LCA). In comparison India is actually short of money and its defense budget needs to be expanded.

Pakistan is also a bit short but its expenditure is not so great. Its jets spend less fuel. It separatist parties are no more (they fought with each other in killed each other in great numbers) though it does have the Taliban which is a problem that it needs more money for, and now the flooding. But Pakistan also has no failed technology, in fact it has energy more energy efficient technology that India (single engine jets vs dual), and bad decisions are not common so in the end considering all this it kinda equals out.

Back
Top Bottom