What's new

What was your first personal computer?

qsaark

Reaction score
An idea came to mind....

What was your first personal computer? and what was after that and what you own now?

My first personal computer was a Commodore 64, the 2nd was an Amiga 500, the 3rd one was an AT 386DX 33Mhz, 4th one was a Pentium II, 5th one was a Pentium 4, 6th one was a Laptop Dell Latitude D620, and the most recent one is a Dell Precision M4400 workstation Laptop.

Just off the top of my head. Desktops and gaming consoles:

1. C64
2. Atari
4. Nintendo Gameboy (Mario Brothers LOLZ!)
2. 80486
3. AMD K6 (233 Mhz)
4. P3 500 Mhz
5. P4 HT 3.2 Ghz (upgraded to death with vid card, mem etc.)

Made a pretty big leap from here on to Core 2 Duo. I had laptops in between.

6. C2D 3 Ghz

Laptops:

1. Toshiba P3 900 Mhz, 512MB physical mem, with 20GB harddisk! (Still remember how chuffed up I was! Damned, a personal laptop that I could take anywhere! At uni I didn't have to wait for a PC to become available anymore! It was a to have a laptop luxury back then!)
2. Dell P4 3Ghz first gaming laptop with 80GB hard drive, state of the art 256MB ATI vid, a stunning 15 inch wide-screen with 1920x1200 resolution and 1 GB mem! The resolution is what used to make a real impression because no one had it back then. (Wow! What a machine back then. XPS is the latest variant nowadays. Very fond memories! The laptop weighed a staggering 4KGs!)
3. Toshiba Core Duo 1,6Ghz
4. HP C2D 2.2Ghz, 4GB mem etc.

Am now planning to create a gaming rig with Intel Core i7 processor. Those are still damned pricey though!

Last edited:
My first one was p2,32mb ram,4 gb hd!!! Present one i upgraded recently-quad core,2gb ddr3 ram,320gb hd,nvidia 1gb graphics card....its grt for a gamer like me....

Just on the top of my head. Desktops and gaming consoles:

1. C64
2. Atari
4. Nintendo Gameboy (Mario Brothers LOLZ!)
2. 80486
3. AMD K6 (233 Mhz)
4. P3 500 Mhz
5. P4 HT 3.2 Ghz (upgraded to death with vid card, mem etc.)

Made a pretty big leap from here on to Core 2 Duo. I had laptops in between.

6. C2D 3 Ghz

Laptops:

1. Toshiba P3 900 Mhz, 512MB physical mem, with 20GB harddisk! (Still remember how chuffed up I was! Damned, a personal laptop that I could take anywhere! At uni I didn't have to wait for a PC to become available anymore! It was a to have a laptop luxury back then!)
2. Dell P4 3Ghz first gaming laptop with 80GB hard drive, state of the art 256MB ATI vid, 15 inch wide-screen with 1920x1200 resolution and 1 GB mem! (Wow! What a machine back then. XPS is the latest variant nowadays. Very fond memories! The laptop weighed a staggering 4KGs!)
3. Toshiba Core Duo 1,6Ghz
4. HP C2D 2.2Ghz, 4GB mem etc.

Am now planning to create a gaming rig with Intel i7 processor. Those are still damned pricey though!
Babar, I asked for the computers you owned, not what you do for earning your living.

^^ LOLZ Believe it or not, this is actually some of the stuff that I owned!

i think mine was 80888 it was soooooo slllowwwwwww compare to todays machines

My first personal computer was a Laptop Toshiba L311,now I ues it Login this Forum. my Family Agree buy one when I enter University

~~~~~Your our use computer for a long time

My fist personal computer was pentium 2... It was slow like hell and expensive too.. I bought it for 60 k back in 1998...

NoW i have got a Dell Inspiron 6400.

First PC was oldschool BBC Model B, then the C64, upgraded to Amstrad CPC 6128.

Moved up to x86 processor technology when Olivetti introduced their range of PC's in Pakistan. My First Laptop was the Toshiba T1800 (A present from my mother when she came back from the states).

Ahh... I still have most of my old wrecks in the store room... This fourm has inspired me to see if they still work... Probbably not :D

My first Pc was unbranded Intel Pentium 3.I purchased it 2001.I was very young (11) at that time so it was very exciting moment- probably best moment of my life because when i first saw computer in 98 it was my dream that i get this kind of machine.I love computers :p

i think mine was 80888 it was soooooo slllowwwwwww compare to todays machines

wow...same as me.

First PC i ever bought for myself was an XT, 8088 with a monochrome screen (garish orange), and 5.5 inch disks.

I later realised that I had been fleeced, while I could have bought a spanking new, super fast, super cool AT machine, 286 with SuperVGA screen, and hard disk space of a whopping 40 Mbytes...And I was worried, how am I going to fill those 40 megabytes...lol...and did i really need that 1Mb Ram...640 kb plust 360kb.

Although I do believe, even today, in every Pentium/Celeron pc, at the heart of it is an XT8088/8086 machine, with 640 kb RAM.

Does this list include the PC's that you worked on or only just owned ?
I couldn't afford a PC when I was a kid, so I hung around neighbourhood shops etc. Learned programming on an 8088 which in early 90's was "old" and thrown in a corner. Moved up pretty fast when I went to college, had access to mainframes and computer clusters.

Made some money during college and build my first PC. A Celeron 433 and Intel i810 motherboard if I remember correctly. Later built a bunch of PC's but switched to AMD from Intel.K7's, Athlons etc. Even built a couple of clusters at some point.

Now I am stuck with laptops and can't build one of those by hand ...Have a few old and new ones lying around.

BTW, notice how this thread is the perfect way to find out how rich/how old a poster is :-) If Dabong1 is telling the truth, he was either rich or is very old!

Back
Top Bottom