What's new

WHEN CHINA BECOMES NO.1, WHAT HAPPENS THEN?

Wednesday, 06 January 2016 21:10

Written by Kishore Mahbubani
In introducing this lecture, the Harvard Kennedy School said that for the first time in more than 200 years, a non-Western power, China, will have the largest economy in the world. China’s emergence will change our world order. To understand how China will behave when it becomes number one, this lecture by Kishore Mahbubani will introduce several questions: What are the priorities of the Chinese leaders? What impact have American policies had on China? Will China behave as America does when China becomes number one?

Economic%2BPropaganda%2BABC%2BNews%2BChina%2BCalls%2BFor%2BNew%2BGlobal%2BCurrency%2Band%2BU.S.%2BSays%2B%2522No%2521%2522.jpg

When China becomes #1 ? #1 in what? Be specific. Anycase, i suppose if she reaches zenith, then life will continue to go on as it has.

For Me: Wake up, eat breakfast, shower, get dressed, go to work, eat lunch, brush teeth, go back to work, go home. Shower, brush teeth, sit on sofa and watch tv (and go on PDF on my laptop), get dressed, make dinner. Go out for a run, come back home and half a snack. Massage time (lol), go to sleep.

Start again.

;)

Peaceful butt. :enjoy:

Are you saying @Super Falcon is @Armstrong ??? :angry::angry::angry:

For all the negativity towards us since the creation of Pakistan some 69 years ago, China becoming no.1 world power will be absolutely fabulous for us. When China's becomes no.1, us Pakistanis will celebrate and party.

Thanks iron bro!

China is already far bigger than any country in many economic indicators especially on industrial capacity or other production-related aspects, some even bigger than rest-of-the-world combined. However China save too much (again far bigger than any country) and consume too little, let's hope such habit will change.

When China becomes #1 ? #1 in what? Be specific.

#1 in debt ..... Nah better aim for toppling Japan's esteemed position of world's #1 creditor economy!

Last edited:
However China save too much

This habit is a righteous habit, my friend. This is something Chinese and Japanese have in common. In fact in Japanese we have a national saying : もったいない <mo tai nai> which means 'wary in being wasteful'. Its a reminder of not to be wasteful in our habits; do not spend frivolously and always care to save for a rainy day. Japanese tend to have a custom of saving at least 1/3 of their monthly earnings (if possible save 1/2).

Debt ..... Nah better aim for toppling Japan's esteemed position of number one creditor economy!

Ha ha ha, debt is not a bad thing, bro. So long as it is debt to one's own. That's the secret to Japan; our debt is owned to our own not to foreign meddlers. :)

Ha ha ha, debt is not a bad thing, bro. So long as it is debt to one's own. That's the secret to Japan; our debt is owned to our own not to foreign meddlers. :)

On net international investment position, Japan is #1 creditor nation, has far more external asset than liabilities. China (excluding Taiwan, HK) is only #3. But well Japan has been accumulating surpluses for decades, so wait for China Mainland to topple that!

untitled-png.283923

Last edited:
On net international investment position, Japan is #1 creditor nation, has far more external asset than liabilities. China (excluding Taiwan, HK) is only #3. But well Japan has been accumulating surpluses for decades, so wait for China!

untitled-png.283923

That's the way, bro! Soon enough China will reach and surpass Japan as the #1 donator country in the world, and that's a great thing. You see bro we have seen the benefits in being a financial lender, its true to the age old saying, "you spend money to get money." Return on investments in this field is gold, ha ha.

Okay, come on, we talk to much, let's make money!!

(lets also save some too!)

This habit is a righteous habit, my friend. This is something Chinese and Japanese have in common. In fact in Japanese we have a national saying : もったいない <mo tai nai> which means 'wary in being wasteful'. Its a reminder of not to be wasteful in our habits; do not spend frivolously and always care to save for a rainy day. Japanese tend to have a custom of saving at least 1/3 of their monthly earnings (if possible save 1/2).

Yes I personally think that's a merit. But Chinese save too much, a staggering 48.5% of GDP, #3 in the world only behind Qatar and Brunei! The total amount already exceeds $5 trillion per annum, far bigger than any economy in the world, I think people should save less, and consume more.

The World Factbook

Yes I personally think that's a merit. But Chinese save too much, a staggering 48.5% of GDP, #3 in the world only behind Qatar and Brunei! The total amount already exceeds $5 trillion per annum, far bigger than any economy in the world, I think people should save less, and consume more.

The World Factbook

Truly this is part of the Confucian economic prudence nature of the Chinese people! The trick bro is save , save, and spend whenever you want without having to buy in credit. Reminds me of my Chinese friends here in the 'states who are able to buy very pricey gadgets in cash. Cash. I'm not talking about groceries or a small hand bag or gamer controller like that, i'm talking about a $250,000 home (4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom) --- in cash. That's what i admire about you Chinese --- may look simple, but Mama makes bank, LOL!

Anyways, congratulations on your national success bro...definitely something every nation wishes they could have and could attain. Its part of the strengths of the Chinese Nation, and the Chinese people.

Impressive!

Truly this is part of the Confucian economic prudence nature of the Chinese people! The trick bro is save , save, and spend whenever you want without having to buy in credit. Reminds me of my Chinese friends here in the 'states who are able to buy very pricey gadgets in cash. Cash. I'm not talking about groceries or a small hand bag or gamer controller like that, i'm talking about a $250,000 home (4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom) --- in cash. That's what i admire about you Chinese --- may look simple, but Mama makes bank, LOL!

Anyways, congratulations on your national success bro...definitely something every nation wishes they could have and could attain. Its part of the strengths of the Chinese Nation, and the Chinese people.

Impressive!

Thanks! Bro I was only joking about toppling Japan's position, China Mainland as a whole still has a long way to go before reaching parity with Japan or that of Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea or Singapore. Being a continental-sized economy has its merits as well as burdens, we need bring the mid-western provinces, the ethnic minority regions, upto speed with the eastern seaboard.

On topic, I just feel weird when people talk about China going to replace the other "number one" economy, hope people stop such comparison.

Last edited:
I have very positive thoughts about China being a Super Power in near Future. US Global policing will come to an End. As China have no History of invasions i would say that no more countries will be turned into ruins for the sake of Democracy. Global prosperity and Stable Global Economy.

Be fair. He was objective in his analysis. I agree with him. Most Western scientists share his opinion too.
My foot! His opinion is very western pro and biased. Pakistan and turkey can never be friends as long as turkey stick and depend on US. Most Pakistanis will choose China over Turkey if it needs to.

I have very positive thoughts about China being a Super Power in near Future. US Global policing will come to an End. As China have no History of invasions i would say that no more countries will be turned into ruins for the sake of Democracy. Global prosperity and Stable Global Economy.

One thing I admire about the Chinese foreign policy is their non-interventionist mandate. This culture of 'boots on the ground' is not something they readily do unless China is attacked. Other than that , they utilize economic diplomacy as an agent to propagate their national interests.

I suppose economic diplomacy is a tool for Chinese foreign policy, whereas the United States utilizes her shear military might as political measure. That is the dichotomy between Chinese and American foreign policy mechanisms.

In that aspect I suppose having a multipolar world may not necessarily be a bad thing , as it allows the advances the national priorities without having to be too wary on abstractist political ideologies and notions of maintenance of a supposed world / global order.

One thing I admire about the Chinese foreign policy is their non-interventionist mandate. This culture of 'boots on the ground' is not something they readily do unless China is attacked. Other than that , they utilize economic diplomacy as an agent to propagate their national interests.
Whit a rising Chinese power, its most likely that they will abandon their non-interventionist policy in the future. The USA where once also non-interventionist, but with rising power more and more responsibilities will come. And more interests to safeguard.

I will cheer for China if it ends up in a war between the 2 countries. Anyone displacing US from its power-position would be a welcome addition to the world and its people. We have seen American bullying and hegemony for way too long as we have seen ignorant mullahs peddling their rubbish. A communist nation will be a welcome leader to the world and will help us remember our secular roots. As far as America is concerned I hope they are ruined in the same way they have ruined other nations and societies in their bloodlust for power and authority. Even 5 years or so US fights a war. Anything is better than this bully of a state.

Back
Top Bottom