What's new

Which Indian King/Historical event is most under appreciated in Indian History?

Most under rated King of HINDUSTAN (not India) who ruled biggest chunk of all Kings..... Aurangzeb Alamgir

Yes, He singlehandedly destroyed Mughal empire.

Here in detail:

Destroyed Shia sultanates which kept check on Maratha power: Check

Made tactical error of marching a cavalry heavy Army into a mountainside: Check

Lost an Army to Marathas: Check ( lost to Dhanaji Jadhav)

Emptied whole treasury in a war he could not and did not win:Check

Lost Rajput support by interfering in their internal succession:Check

Left Marathas in a stronger position than they were at start: Check ( contrary to Fanboism of Pakistanis, Marathas expanded into North India during Aurangzebs reign. Maratha entered into North India in 1705. Aurangzeb died in 1707. His empire was on decline since 1699 )

Made Sikhs perpetual enemies of Muslims: Check ( he executed gurus )

Made native population hostile : Check ( Jat rebellion )

So Yes, his role in break-up of Mughal empire is under-rated.

Last edited:
Yes, He singlehandedly destroyed Mughal empire.

Here in detail:

Destroyed Shia sultanates which kept check on Maratha power: Check

Made tactical error of marching a cavalry heavy Army into a mountainside: Check

Lost an Army to Marathas: Check ( lost to Dhanaji Jadhav)

Emptied whole treasury in a war he could not and did not win:Check

Lost Rajput support by interfering in their internal succession:Check

Left Marathas in a stronger position than they were at start: Check ( contrary to Fanboism of Pakistanis, Marathas expanded into North India during Aurangzebs reign. Maratha entered into North India in 1705. Aurangzeb died in 1707. His empire was on decline since 1699 )

Made Sikhs perpetual enemies of Muslims: Check ( he executed gurus )

Made native population hostile : Check ( Jat rebellion )

So Yes, his role in break-up of Mughal empire is under-rated.

His one flaw was religious fanaticism. Unlike his predecessors- opium addicted Jehangir, Pleasure seeking Shah Jehan etc., he was a true puritan who rarely indulged in pleasures, sewed caps to earn enough for his burial and was a strict muslim. Yet, while his predecessors grew the empire, he destroyed it. SHows it's better to be a party animal than a Mormon!

His one flaw was religious fanaticism. Unlike his predecessors- opium addicted Jehangir, Pleasure seeking Shah Jehan etc., he was a true puritan who rarely indulged in pleasures, sewed caps to earn enough for his burial and was a strict muslim. Yet, while his predecessors grew the empire, he destroyed it. SHows it's better to be a party animal than a Mormon!
Yeah I heard the same about him, sewing caps and that he never took a coin from royal treasures,must be a very disciplined man.

Sure Vijayanagara was smaller, but in terms of sheer grandeur it was right up there.

there is no doubt that vijayanagara had grandeur , they were rich in arts ,architectures etcs , but still you can't compare Vijayanagara to The Chola's , I mean GCC Gulf has grandeur , money etc, Japan has grandeur , money & technology but still can you compare them with the EU ?
& that is where the Chola's takes the cake, remember mate, Vijayanagara with all their accomplishments were @ the end of the day a domestic power , the Chola Empire on the hand were an Imperial power , you cant put them in the same basket

there is no doubt that vijayanagara had grandeur , they were rich in arts ,architectures etcs , but still you can't compare Vijayanagara to The Chola's , I mean GCC Gulf has grandeur , money etc, Japan has grandeur , money & technology but still can you compare them with the EU ?
& that is where the Chola's takes the cake, remember mate, Vijayanagara with all their accomplishments were @ the end of the day a domestic power , the Chola Empire on the hand were an Imperial power , you cant put them in the same basket

Yeah, I was just pointing out their positives that's all.

How can a monitor lizard support weight of a human, I find it hard to believe. Most probably they used grappling hooks, caught the mughals by surprise. Another interesting fact, when Tanaji was slain, the morale of Maratha soldiers was broken and they tried to flee. But Tanaji's brother cut the rope, so they had 2 choices, fight or fling yourself down the hill.

It's actually a very common tactic. We call it udumbu in Tamil. Infact there is a term called "udumbu pudi", to talk about someone who never lets go once they get a hold of you, or to talk about someone who is hugely determined. The lizards themselves are very strong,I have seen them get run over by cars and survive!

Here is an article that talks about the science behind the lizards grip.
Lessons from the lizard on making a good tissue adhesive - The Hindu

I agree with Chola empire, very little is taught about them in ncert, state board books do go into some detail though. When I was in school we had like half a page for all 3 southern kingdoms ,one Chapter for Vijayanagar,Kanishka, And there was nothing on Ahom etc. but one chapter for each Mughal and Mamluk ruler.

Even forgetting about ancient kings, we had just one paragraph on S.C Bose and other "alternative" freedom fighters, to the point where people are taught no blood was spilled for our freedom.

Bharatha Varsha is very large and is very very old . We are going to have a lot of kings who shaped history, and writing a book that can cover even a decent portion of it, but at the same time keeping simple and acceptable enough for a school child to study, is going to be a very challenging task, but yeah, I think the huge focus on certain kingdoms needs to be diluted.

@Anonymous
I Concur what you detailed about Aurangzeb reign, he have ruled biggest chunk but at the same time destroyed that Empire......while implementing his Overzealous ideas

IMHO, I feel that barring the Mauryan empire, everything else had been sidelined by the cultural marxist academia of modern India.
We had sagas and sagas of 'central asian kings benevolence' which was simply whitewashing their barbaric acts of medieval terrorism against people of the land. While they have had only one or two pages written about great kings and emperors like the following. Many of them have no mention at all about their bravery and their noble acts:
1 - Harshvarshana,
2 - Rajendra Chola,
3 - Ajatshatru,
4 - Krishnadevraya
5 - Phuntsok Namgyal of Indrakil (Sanskrit for Sikkim),
6 - Queen Gaidinliu of Nagas,
7 - Vikramaditya of Kashmir,
8 - Queen Didda of Kashmir,
9 - Queen Durgawati of Uttarakhand,
10 - King Prataap Singha of Ahoms (Assam),
11 - The Nandas,
12 - Peshwa Baji Rao of Marathas,
13 - Pulakesin of Chalukya dynasty
14 - Hemu the valiant

And there are so many more kings and even army commanders who fought valiantly from time to time against outside invaders. But cultural marxists of Indian academia found it convenient to sideline them so as not to 'offend' some people.

How many fellow Indians know about Lachhit Borphukan of Assam who thrashed the living daylights out of mughals?

How many of them know king Prithvi Narayan (first founder of Nepal though, but had tributaries in our country too then) and how he and his successors made Nepal an unconquerable fortress?

How many of fellow Indians know about queen Didda of Kashmir or queen Durgawati or even king Vikramaditya ?

When I asked about this, not many of our fellow countrymen knew these noble figures.

The Marathas are undoubtedly underrated. And this is coming from a Rajasthani :)

Others that are also underrated are the Assamese (Ahom Kingdom) which had drove the Mughals out of the jungles, mastering guerilla tactics.

As well as the Cholas (Tamil Nadu), whose influence go as far as Indonesia. I believe I had seen some relics of ancient Italian coins and trinkets from some museum in Chennai, when I visited a few years back. I'll try to see if I have the pictures

Both these men had interesting titles too.
Harsha was called - Uttarapatheshvara (lord f North) and after defeating Harshvardhana Pulakesi was called Parameswara (Paramount Overlord).

Btw did you miss that I made a thread out of your post on China?? :P

Ah,no lol.But i thought i would watch rather than comment..too many trolls to bother with.

How can a monitor lizard support weight of a human, I find it hard to believe. Most probably they used grappling hooks, caught the mughals by surprise. Another interesting fact, when Tanaji was slain, the morale of Maratha soldiers was broken and they tried to flee. But Tanaji's brother cut the rope, so they had 2 choices, fight or fling yourself down the hill.

The terrain of that region is perfect for guerrilla warfare. A huge lumbering army is an easy target for lightly armored and agile enemy. They would have lost had they taken the Mughals head on

Wrong.Present NCERT syllabus a lot about Vijayanagra and its capital Humpi.Though Ahoms are still confined in one page of text.

The history books mention Mauryas and Marathas with some details but I have not read a single history book(school) mentioning Ahoms.

But in this case, Magadha empire was stitched together by those dynasties. Mughals did the heavy lifting themselves.

It honors rising sun. Only marand temple honors/use to honour setting sun.

Wrong, it honours both rising and setting Sun, including its planets. A reason why, in accordance to the beliefs existed then, the temple is built around its march and effect of its planets, while Sun sits on its chariot.

So sun temple in kashmir should not be the only one.
There are many other Sun temples spread all over India. :)

This temple was shown in Haider as a devil's wokshop - a two faced Satan descends from the stairs where Shahid dances merry dressed as Sikander Butshikan. :D

Info: Sikander Butshikan burnt the temple down.

Back
Top Bottom