What's new

Who persuaded Iran to buy Pakistan nuclear technology?

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Who persuaded Iran to buy Pakistan nuclear technology? it wasn't Abdul Qadeer Khan but a German: book

BERLIN (December 13 2007): It was a German man who approached Iran in the late 1980s to tout the idea of buying nuclear weapons technology from a Pakistani-led nuclear black market, a new book claims.

"The Nuclear Jihadist" by Douglas Frantz and Catherine Collins tells the story of how Pakistan's nuclear scientist Abdul Qadeer Khan developed an "intricate supply network aimed at skirting sanctions and peddling uranium enrichment technology."

Khan's network supplied Libya, Iran and North Korea with restricted nuclear machinery and designs. Tehran's dealings with the network at the time remain one of the main riddles the UN nuclear watchdog in Vienna is trying urgently to solve.

The book by the US journalists says it was not Khan but German businessman Gotthard Lerch who persuaded Iran in 1987 to consider enriching uranium - a process of purifying it for use in power plants or weapons.

Lerch has been accused by German prosecutors of helping Khan supply Libya with restricted nuclear technology although he was never charged in connection with Iran and a trial on other charges was suspended last year.

Frantz and Collins say a physicist from Iran's Atomic Energy Organisation visited Lerch's office in Switzerland in 1987 to buy conventional weapons for Iran's war against Iraq.

Lerch agreed to fill the order but insisted that the Iranian watch a promotional film about his nuclear inventory. Lerch had known Khan from his days working at a German vacuum firm that sold Pakistan vacuum pumps for its enrichment programme. Several weeks later the Iranians said they were interested.

Lerch's contacts with Iran came after Saddam Hussein's Iraq began attacking Iranian troops with chemical weapons, which began to turn the tide of the long war against Tehran. Lerch met the Iranians in Zurich and then arranged a follow-up meeting in Dubai where, the authors write, Iran was expected to pay $10 million as a down-payment for several Pakistani enrichment centrifuges from Khan and designs.

Among the items the Iranians received in Dubai were partial instructions for making the core of an atomic weapon. According to the book, Lerch received $3 million of the $10 million while Khan got $2 million. The rest went to other middlemen, including another German and an Islamabad dentist.

After he was extradited from Switzerland, Lerch was tried for violating export rules in Germany last year. But the trial was suspended and it is unclear if a new trial will take place. One of Lerch's lawyers, Gottfried Reims, said he was not in a position to comment on the allegations in the book. A spokesman for Germany's Federal Prosecutor's Office said he could not comment on the book's specific allegations.

Given that Lerch's contacts with the Iranians took place 20 years ago, the statute of limitations on any export violations would have expired. A German diplomat told Reuters it was unlikely Lerch would ever be charged in connection with Iran.

In September, German engineer Gerhard Wisser pleaded guilty in South Africa to export violations in selling components to Libya and Pakistan that could be used in nuclear weapons.

In 1999, German engineer Karl-Heinz Schaab was convicted of treason for selling nuclear technology to the Iraqi government. The latest US National Intelligence Estimate says Iran halted its nuclear weapons programme in 2003. Tehran says it has no interest in acquiring atomic weapons but is pursuing nuclear power to generate electricity.

Business Recorder [Pakistan's First Financial Daily]

I think due to the action of USA giving Iraq ammo to attack Iran was the motive which urged Iran to develop capability to tell everyone in the world to stay back or even Israel.:pakistan::pakistan:

Thanks to the support of our brothers in Pakistan we're now able to "reverse engineering" P-2 centrifuges and build even more advanced centrifuges.

I was wondering why Pakistan wont play a role to buy technology for Iran like, Syria and Belarus. Pakistan has a very good relation with China, I was thinking if Pakistan could sell the technologies she gets from China, She could have make great profits! or even free oil and gas like Syria! Iran could also provide the Pakistan money to expand its military even more (What we're doing in Syria). we can also provide Pakistan assistance in Electronic Warfare (Which we're on top 5 according to defence tech).

Regards

Thanks to the support of our brothers in Pakistan we're now able to "reverse engineering" P-2 centrifuges and build even more advanced centrifuges.

I was wondering why Pakistan wont play a role to buy technology for Iran like, Syria and Belarus. Pakistan has a very good relation with China, I was thinking if Pakistan could sell the technologies she gets from China, She could have make great profits! or even free oil and gas like Syria! Iran could also provide the Pakistan money to expand its military even more (What we're doing in Syria). we can also provide Pakistan assistance in Electronic Warfare (Which we're on top 5 according to defence tech).

Regards
Welcome to the forum bro.. its sound like a good idea but many country will put sanction on us also.. but Iran Is willing to buy are Jf17 fighters i dont have any update on it experts please advise

i dont know why does world confuse us with those who have signed NPT. we havent signed NPT which means we are not breakin any law by providing such data or tech to someone. iran being a brother country, its gud we helped them. this will bring some balance of power in the region. if israel can have this, y not iran?

Regards

if i seriously tell u, u guys dont need anymore tech. u have already got that. only thing u guys need is time. pakistan has helped u as much as she could. now if we do that again (although i dont think u need it anymore) it will make it difficult for us to survive. we havent got any leader lik urs who can stand against the whole world

Regards

We too think of our Iranians as brothers with whole we had minor misunderstandings. Unfortunately due to the US divide & rule policy we are pursuing independent approach towards technology.

If we can join hands in R&D & TOT ... we could be saving millions & not to mention the oil & gas resource of Iran !

Unfortunately this is not the time to talk about more joint ventures as the present time the world is on our backs (Pakistan) and with a deminutive economy we have to keep a wary distance from our Iranian brothers, but mark my words this is not the last on this issue !

Who persuaded Iran to buy Pakistan nuclear technology? it wasn't Abdul Qadeer Khan but a German: book

BERLIN (December 13 2007): It was a German man who approached Iran in the late 1980s to tout the idea of buying nuclear weapons technology from a Pakistani-led nuclear black market, a new book claims.

Well something seems to googd to be true then it may be true!! Yeas I do remember that Germans were a lot involved in Indians Missile programme & I dont doubt their capitalistic approach to Pakistan as well. They want to make money & they are doing this like the saying goes, Get out of bed unless you can money in bed . HAHA

A-O-A,
It is my personal assessment that after getting atomic technology there was imense western pressure on Pakistan. Pakistan provided support to south korea, Iran and Libya to shift pressure from pakistan to other regions and this was achieved successfully.
Wasalam

It was Irans necessity to achieve Nuclear power as the only detterent force against its qualitative foe Israel on the contrary Israel ambition towards Nuclear Nukes was the only way to get an edge over quantitatively larger Arab leagues. The foolowing URL gives insight to the nuclear developments especially in Israel which mostly is termed as nonNuclear state!!
http://www.defence.pk/forums/wmd-missiles/23743-world-nuclear-arsenal-3.html

actually it was little red riding hood who sold nuclear secrets to iran! come on!

Chinese Company Indicted in Iran Missile Case
08 April 2009
A Chinese company and its principal have been indicted in New York on charges relating to the suspected misuse of Manhattan banks and the proliferation of missile and nuclear technology to Iran, prosecutors said on
Tuesday. Manhattan district attorney Robert Morgenthau will announce the indictments at a news conference at 11am eastern time / 15.00GMT, his office said in a statement.
In January, Morgenthau said authorities were looking at nine European banks that may be helping Iran buy materials.
That announcement followed a report in the Wall Street Journal in which US security and law enforcement officials said they had new evidence of efforts by Iran to evade sanctions and acquire metals from China used in high-tech weaponry.
The United States has sought tougher UN sanctions against Iran to halt its nuclear programme, which Westernnations believe is designed for making weapons. Tehran says the programme is aimed at increasing its civilian power capacity.
The Journal said it had seen a series of recent emails and letters detailing contacts between Iranian companies and foreign suppliers.
Business records showed one Iranian company, ABAN Commercial and Industrial, contracted through an intermediary for more than 66,000lb (30,000kg) of tungsten copper, which can be used in missile guidance systems, from Advanced Technology and Materials of Beijing, the Journal said.
By Daniel Trotta, Reuters

Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
In tackling the story of Pakistani nuclear scientist A.Q. Khan, Frantz and Collins (Death on the Black Sea) are entering a crowded field. As Adrian Levy and Catherine Scott-Clark did in Deception (reviewed July 30), this husband-and-wife team divides attention between Khan's influence over Pakistan's nuclear program and how the American government ignored evidence of his progress because Pakistan served as a convenient ally. While much of this story is familiar, Frantz and Collins do provide more detail on Khan's background and draw on several different U.S. sources. (They reveal, for example, that the State Department discussed assassinating Khan as far back as 1978.) They also give the Pakistani government more benefit of the doubt than most other commentators: an internal corruption investigation ordered by Pervez Musharraf shortly after he became Pakistan's president is interpreted as suggesting that Khan's dealing with nations like Libya and Iran might not have been sanctioned by his government. Deception has more about Pakistan's internal politics and an edge in readability and zing, but this is an equally serviceable overview. (Dec. 3)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Back
Top Bottom