What's new

Why Chennai can't and won't speak Hindi

There is nothing wrong in rejecting the national language and India as a state never applied force or persuaded it's diversified ethnics to speak Hindi to create an artificial national Identity which would have been a remarkably featherbrained attempt to do in this vast country.

Manchus stopped speaking Manchu language in fear of getting persecuted by CCP after 1950, I know how China got one language. :smart:

@Fattyacids I read in a history book that manchus considered Chinese inferior when they conquered China, how are they now?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Fattyacids This is not Wikipedia.
Chinese craze for English debated - Xinhua | English.news.cn

BEIJING, March 14 (Xinhua) -- A Chinese professor's blunt criticism of what he believes is an excessive craze for learning English has sparked heated debate among the public.

People's mania for English learning has wasted education resources and threatened the study of Chinese, said Zhang Shuhua, dean of the information and intelligence institute at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

Zhang made the remarks at a meeting during the annual session of the 12th National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, the top political advisory body, which closed on Tuesday.

His outspoken words have triggered intense online discussion, with nearly 90,000 comments posted on the topic by 9 p.m. Thursday on Sina Weibo, the Chinese equivalent of Twitter.

The subject of English has been listed as indispensable by college and postgraduate entrance exams in China, no matter what majors candidates are applying for.

"The learning of English, a compulsory course for college students, has distracted much of their attention from specialized subjects," said Zhang, adding that many applicants have been denied access to postgraduate education only because of their failed English tests.

On the flipside, as a philology professor posted on Sina Weibo, "It's really disappointing that many graduates lacking basic knowledge of philology, are admitted thanks to their good performance in English tests."

English is also a hurdle for people to overcome if they are to get a promotion or salary raise, even in cases in which they barely use the language in their work.

Many people don't get a chance to use English in their practical work, but they have to conquer the language if they want to pass qualification assessments, a practice that is obviously unnecessary, according to Zhang.

While the dean complained of his own "unsatisfactory" efforts to learn English, he noted that the country still lacks students of foreign languages who are familiar with both Chinese and foreign culture.

He suggested that China should tackle "English worship" at each education stage and improve current English teaching methods.

However, many netizens said in reaction that English has long-lasting importance for China's international communication and is beneficial to academic work.

"English is a language and we should learn it for communication, not for tests; it's meaningless when you learn English not from the angle of practical use," a user with the screen name "zhugeziren" posted on his Weibo.

Dr. Xiong Bingqi, an outspoken scholar on education, suggested that English should be an optional course in primary and middle school.

Colleges should also give students the right to choose whether they need to learn English according to their own career plans, he said.

@Fattyacids I read in a history book that manchus considered Chinese inferior when they conquered China, how are they now?

Manchu have 30% Han chinese halogroup 03, they looked just like chinese. Their ancestors wrote in Chinese, their flag is a chinese dragon, their houses look just like chinese. if what you read was a history book, don't you know they were invited to take beijing without a fight? That's another topic. In short, they became completely chinese.

WOW, didn't know you have a second degree from another elite institution!!!:yahoo: :yahoo:
internet-university-mockup.png

India obsession thread. I don't have any idea why @WebMaster @Awesome allowing this kind of thread.

You have to thank the Indian Government for that because they forced the Tamils to annex large chunk of Northern Sri Lanka and that's how the Tamils earned the name "Tamil Tigers" and got famous worldwide.

Indian Govt. never forced any one Tamil to do so. India intervened only to settle the disputes. Don't fabricate history for your argument's sake.

I did not show my love for Tamils but I did reveal that not everyone in India wants to speak Hindi.

And whats wrong in that ?? As long they don't need to why speak a new language... that hasn't been the regional language ? People learn new languages when they need to if a Tamil needs to use Hindi to communicate where people only know Hindi he will have to learn it, Similarly if a Hindi Speaking fellow lands up in a place where he needs to speak Tamil to communicate as the people there dont speak any thing else than Tamil.

What's wrong in that. ??? Its the need for learning a new language that justifies an individual and a society of what it needs and what it doesn't. Its their choices, its our choice and we fully respect that. Buckle up we dont live in the 1960s, every language is respected in India.

Hindi was opposed when we are forced to learn and it'll get opposed if we are get forced in the future. We are not against Hindi, we are against forcing us to learn Hindi, still in all Matriculation schools in Tamil Nadu, Hindi is there as a subject that everyone from Tamil Nadu knows.

Perfect. Though being a Hindi speaking person i fully understand and support your statement. It is unethical to force one to learn another language, it is the diversity of our country that we celebrate and it must be preserved at all costs.

English is a global phenomena and there is a necessity to learn it, Hindi is NOT the national Language, it is a regional language, 5 states speak Hindi in India. That's not even half of the 29 we have.

Open a China related thread and tag me if you want to be destroyed. :devil:
:offpost:

Its the CCP history that has been taught they know about, the 90% of the country doesn't even know the whole truth about Tienanmen square Massacre. Easy there fella, generations of brain washing wont go away that easily.

You have many official languages because you were never one country.

True. But we are one now, deal with it, and I know its difficult for people of elsewhere to understand India staying as one nation despite being so diverse. To an extent, even I am overwhelmed by our diversity, but you see all the fingers of your hand are not the same, so is the case with India. We have our problems but none of tehm are bigger than India itself.

Its the CCP history that has been taught they know about, the 90% of the country doesn't even know the whole truth about Tienanmen square Massacre. Easy there fella, generations of brain washing wont go away that easily.

Tinamen was an armed revolt sponsored by CIA.Not a joke.What western media is mythology like how they are showing al qaeda in Syria as freedom fighter.

Check Voltaire network archives on tienanmen square.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom