What's new

Why is Iran meddling in the mideast?

Before you jump at my throat, I know that the saudis and recently the turks also have an expansionist agenda, but in all honesty why is Iran even wasting its time trying to spread its influence in these mideastern countries? Theres literally nothing in it for it. No benefits whatsoever. Iran now is giving billions to hezbollah, to assad, to the houthis etc... while getting zero in return, why?

Why are we even enemies with israel, who puts the sunni arabs in check? Why cant we not have an economic partnership with america, russia and china at the same time?

We havent benefit AT ALL from such policies, instead have had sanctions put on us and limited our economic opportunities.

Only people who would support such an agenda would be shia fanatics who simply dont care about the country.

I suggest we stay out of international politics, mind our own business, tell others to do the same , focus on fixing the screws in our own society and do business with everyone.

We have enough land and resources to live like kings. All we need are better leaders.
Isolationism will render Iran like North Korea. Globalisation is a more powerful force than any one country can try to withstand now, including the US. Our first natural engagement with foreign countries is going to be with the rest of the Middle East because that is where Iran belongs too.

And you clearly dont understand how states work. Like most other countries, we have a separate foreign ministry, and we have several ministries that deal with different domestic issues. So what makes you think Iran's 'focus' is any less on itself than it should be?

A$$head is a nationalist ba'thist Arab like Saddam Hussein, the best scenario for our people would be continuing this war up to a point that all of our enemies, Nationalist Arabs(A$$head), Fanatic Islamists(AQ, ISIS, Hamas, HizbAllah) terrorists, mullahs, and Nationalist kurds(PYD, PKK) destroy each other. From political point of view, not moralistic, it is the best option for us.
Just a hint about "Those people" as you mentioned, they consist 1/4 of Iran's population and half of capital population.
Tehran Is 75% ethnic Persian. Iranian azerbeyjan nor the north are 100% azeri either. Atleast 20% of those provinces are non azeri Persians, kurd, lezginkas etc... stopwith your deluded panturkist agenda if you want others to take you seriously.

Tehran Is 75% ethnic Persian. Iranian azerbeyjan nor the north are 100% azeri either. Atleast 20% of those provinces are non azeri Persians, kurd, lezginkas etc... stopwith your deluded panturkist agenda if you want others to take you seriously.
Nobody knows the true ethnic statistics of Iran because a proper and reliable census on language and ethnicity hasnt been undertaken. Everything you see about Iran's ethnic make-up are based on estimates from questionable sources.

Before you jump at my throat, I know that the saudis and recently the turks also have an expansionist agenda, but in all honesty why is Iran even wasting its time trying to spread its influence in these mideastern countries? Theres literally nothing in it for it. No benefits whatsoever. Iran now is giving billions to hezbollah, to assad, to the houthis etc... while getting zero in return, why?

Why are we even enemies with israel, who puts the sunni arabs in check? Why cant we not have an economic partnership with america, russia and china at the same time?

We havent benefit AT ALL from such policies, instead have had sanctions put on us and limited our economic opportunities.

Only people who would support such an agenda would be shia fanatics who simply dont care about the country.

I suggest we stay out of international politics, mind our own business, tell others to do the same , focus on fixing the screws in our own society and do business with everyone.

We have enough land and resources to live like kings. All we need are better leaders.
Our foreign policy is ok, only we should become closer to west and become neutral on Israel. The rest, we keep it as it is, ties with oil rich shia Iraq will benefit our country and them.
Iran should only interfere if its going to benefit us economically, meaning more money. Otherwise shut the borders and dont care about arab or israeli affairs that have nothing to do with us.

As a nationalist and secularist, I hope assad wins against the salafists, but I dont think we should spend our money on a foreign country.

Azerbeyjan will never be an ally of Iran due to their panturkic government and honestly we do not need them. We can do business with them, but thats the farthest we should go with them. Ido not trust those people.
we have business ties with Iraq and Syria and Libanon. Don't forget we signed oil and gas deals with them.
I do agree with you that we should become neutral on Israel and get closer to west. But meanwhile we should have influence in middle east just like any other country there.

Before you jump at my throat, I know that the saudis and recently the turks also have an expansionist agenda, but in all honesty why is Iran even wasting its time trying to spread its influence in these mideastern countries? Theres literally nothing in it for it. No benefits whatsoever. Iran now is giving billions to hezbollah, to assad, to the houthis etc... while getting zero in return, why? Why are we even enemies with israel, who puts the sunni arabs in check? Why cant we not have an economic partnership with america, russia and china at the same time? We havent benefit AT ALL from such policies, instead have had sanctions put on us and limited our economic opportunities.

Thank you again for this thread which I guess it involves all Middle Easterners.

One thing is true, there is enormous mutual hatred between Arabs and Persians. Meddling in each others’ affairs will not pay off in the long run as the gigantic hatred will always cause mistrust and uncertainty.

That does not, however, prevent certain politically motivated groups from taking advantage of Iran's money so long as it is available. Then they change direction when the loyalty to Iran is no longer profitable or convenient.

Last edited:
With the Middle East, I have long learned that there is very rarely any 'right' or 'wrong' of any kind applicable.

Back
Top Bottom