What's new

Why Pakistan is not a nation and how it could become one : Pervez Hoodbhoy

Let's simplify things, Balouch and Sindhis feel 'less' Pakistani because either they have been under the influence of Despotic Sardars or Feudal Monsters , who have deprived people of education and development . While the state has failed to eliminate such 'state within a state' practices is another issue the problems faced by a Balouch and Sindhi are very similar to the one faced by a punjabi peasent but he will never talk of making his 'village ' independent state. until we have peole like 'Mai Joori'(the poor peasent woman from rural Balochistan who challenged Sardars in bye-elections - she failed to win but proved her point) elected in the assembly we will continue to have such issues.

Eventually with economic improvement people will drift away from Extremeism as such GOP should put maximum efforts on Economy.Pakistan's GDP should be at least in $500Bil+ area.

And by doing that you prove Hoodbhoy right.

'He authored no books and wrote no policy paper. He did make many speeches, of which several were driven by political expediency and are frankly contradictory. These are freely cherry-picked today, with some finding in them a liberal and secular voice; others, an embodiment of Islamic values. The confusion is irresolvable.'

Jinnah post-1937 was diametrically opposite to Jinnah pre-1937.

I do agree with the last para of your post though :tup:

On the contrary, a read through Hector Bolitho writing on Jinnah would show you the real face of Jinnah seldom covered in other texts that aim to please as you mentioned a particular segment of society.

Bolitho's work was amongst the first on the man himself and covered the man and his life through his Muslim, Hindu and English associates/allies and rivals.

But alas the legacy this great man left behind has long since been tarnished and copy and pasted to suit certain agenda's from the liberal's to the hard-line.

As far as i am concerned Pakistanis have to do a lot of soul searching, we have to embrace this gift of freedom and examine the mistakes of the past. It is not fair to say Pakistan is not a nation; no it would be wiser to question the interaction of the peoples of Pakistan and the parts they play.

Yes antagonists exist everywhere from the republican’s in Ireland, the farc in Columbia to the tamil’s in Sri Lanka. Yet all these places are recognised as nation states.

In my humble opinion a nation is only as strong as its people, whilst it is a blunt fact the passions and energies of the populace have been misguided by self serving religious and political leaders (not just Muslim), there is another factor.

The human factor, if you apply Maslow’s hierarchy of needs to a nation’s people:
maslow.png

The basic needs of all humans are the same, shelter, food, clothing… The masses look to their leaders, be they religious, tribal or political for security and within their family, community or tribe they look for friendship, belonging and intimacy.

Those people or communities who achieve these basic tenants of life, then go onto aspire for self esteem, respect and eventually self actualisation. Great nations are measured not just by the action of its leaders but by the cohesive effort of its peoples.

Whilst both politicians and religious leaders tend to think of their flock as hapless sheep, great leaders understand the importance of channelling the latent energies of its population. Great leaders empower their citizens, they ensure that the necessities are taken care of, so that the people can be free to do greater things.

One morning, when Nanji Jafar was playing in the street, Jinnah, then aged about fourteen, came up to him and said, “Don’t play marbles in the dust; it spoils your clothes and dirties your hands. We must stand up and play cricket.”

The boys in Newnham Road were obedient: they gave up playing marbles and allowed Jinnah to lead them from the dusty street to a bright field where he brought his bat and stumps for them to use.
– Hector Bolitho – Jinnah Creator of Pakistan

Jinnah's message even at such a young age was clear, rise up and keep you hands clean for the greater tasks ahead.

Sadly in the case of Pakistan, the leaders have entrapped the people of this nation into a cycle of distrust, misinformation, poverty and illiteracy.

Having a poor, illiterate and helpless mass of people is a tyrant’s dream, we tend to label people like Musharraf as the great dictator, the mass murderer. Yet seldom do we question why the leaders of a certain area of community wish to deprive their sons and daughters of education, of health and prosperity?

Not having the necessities, makes one desperate, compounded with the burdens of poverty, and insecurity makes this mass angry, and this mass of pent up energy is utilised by these leaders for their selfish agenda’s which usually take the form of demands for "autonomy", religious expression or ethnic strife.

Marcel Proust is quotes as saying: At the heart of our friendly or purely social relations, there lurks a hostility momentarily cured but recurring in fits and starts.

This here is the real cause behind what plagues our nation today, the lack of real, honest leadership, the lack of vision, direction and opportunities. You can say “Pakistan” is not a nation, but have you ever thought are we worthy of Pakistan?

In our history, we are yet to produce credible leaders, those who champion the cause of the weak and smite down injustice. Yet…What we have are semi credible intellectuals with dual nationality who whisper sweet poetry, yet lack the spine to lay down the foundations of prosperity.

And whilst the claws of these greedy swine spread throughout the nation like cancer and the scourge of extremisms lays waste to countless innocent lives, these very same intellectuals and academics, sit idle in the comfort of their lavish surroundings, un-phased by the reality that torments’ this very land we call our mother.

I challenge these hypocrites, to put their money where their mouth is, if indeed they have the foresight and critical mind to truly understand the ills of our people, then stand up and provide a cure.

No…All they can offer are words, words offer no comfort. Whilst their Teflon coated speeches and writings are tailored to please the pallet of their target audience, 45% of the people are food insecure, more so are illiterate and countless jobless and aimless.

Amongst all this, the young and gifted are attracted abroad, whisked away by research institutes or supported by their parents.

The leadership un phased by this brain drain make no attempt to safe guard the positive human capital of the nation, those patriotic enough to return are met with bureaucracy and frustration at the state of the nation.

Can one man make a difference, I hope so… If a person can rally the masses, channel their energies towards a positive direction and provide the necessities they crave and rightfully desire… History will measure both the meek and the bold, sadly no such leader has arrived as of yet in our beloved motherland.

So in conclusion of this rant, I ask my Pakistani brethren… Is it the nation that is soiled, the nation we so freely attack? Or is it our continued servitude to the feudal, tribal and religious leaders, to willingly consume the political hogwash pumped down our throat by political parties or to blindly follow the path of your imam?

We as a people need to stop blaming history and start accepting reality, all that Pakistan is today, is because of our collective actions and inactions, only by righting the wrongs in the present, can we avoid follies in the future.

Last edited:
A few years ago Jamaat-e-Islami launched their campaign against the Aga Khani's proclaiming them to be Zionists who are part of a bigger group found in Pakistan whose sole intention is to destroy Pakistan. :lol:

Well, the Nizari Ismailis do have an fascinating history.

Look up the connection of the Nizari Ismailis with the Hashshashin sect of medieval Persia, and further, connections of the Hashshashins with the Knights Templar, and to Freemasonry.

We as a people need to stop blaming history and start accepting reality, all that Pakistan is today, is because of our collective actions and inactions, only by righting the wrongs in the present, can we avoid follies in the future.
RR, what will you do if your clarion calls are met with silence or digression?

Pervaiz Hoodbhoy is a known indina operative.
He deserved to be hanged as per the law of state.

^^ OT but how to ignore some one..?

This mentality has brought us to face the challenges that we face today. Wether you agree with someone or not is upto you .In my opinion the analysis is not 100% true but very close.

RR, what will you do if your clarion calls are met with silence or digression?

Lead by example for my childre, family and community. O not rich or popular for mainstream activity, my work is more grass-roots but effective and i like it that way.

I cling on to the hope that mighty oaks from little acorns grow.

No he is not. He is not a likable person but he is not a bad guy either. He is a very famous physicist and has impressive credentials.
Pervez Hoodbhoy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He is famously known to talk against nuclear programme of not only Pakistan but also of India and US. So i will not say that he is on pay role of India.
He is an interesting personality actually. Very arrogant and intelligent. A big poster of radiation hit Hiroshima and Nagasaki is present on his office wall to show his hatred for nuclear programme. There is a dish in QAU known as "Pervaizi" which he introduced in the university. And he is so much involved in social activities that there is a joke in the university that after retirement he will surely get a job in some NGO.

As for the article he wrote, surely there is some exaggeration and inaccuracy present but overall it is correct.

Pakistani first

The Pew Research Centre’s global attitudes survey settles quite a few controversies about what the Pakistanis think of themselves and their views on their leaders and the Taliban. The surveys offer the best tools to gather public opinions, particularly in democratic societies.

Even when we are struggling to be a democracy under the most unfavourable social circumstances, such surveys are important for us to establish social and political facts. In the absence of these facts, what we are and what we think about national and global issues would remain a subjective matter.

One of the subjective, and often concocted stories is about Pakistani identity. It has been wrongly asserted that a majority associate themselves with their linguist social groups. Those of us working in fields of academia and journalism have contested this view for decades, and quite vigorously. In our assessment, a deep sense of Pakistani nationalism has existed all along, and the sentiment of national solidarity has deepened over time.

Before we get to explain how and why the shift in loyalties has taken place, we need to refer to the startling results of the Pew survey: 89 per cent of Pakistanis say they think of themselves as Pakistani first, rather than a member of their ethnic group.

Wow, that is an amazing figure and must now throw the ‘research’ and ‘findings’ of those intellectuals and scholars — domestic and foreign — to where they should belong: the dustbin or for a better burial, the paper-shredder. Maybe we should save that ‘research’ to remind ourselves how they have misrepresented our country.

What explains the confirmation of Pakistani identity being so widely embedded in the society? First of all, it was the Muslim consensus, in the subcontinent, far and wide that generated the demand for Pakistan in the Muslim majority areas. Whether it was a breakdown of that consensus in the rise of Bengali nationalism or something else — failure to transfer power to the majority party demanding provincial autonomy and finally Indian military invasion — is a story for some other day.

Second, a historical fact that is often ignored even by well meaning historians, is that the linguistic groups that comprise Pakistan today have lived together for thousands of years under one kingdom or empire. Historically, and more since independence through migration and urbanisation they have intermeshed with one another. Even the evolution of Urdu, our national language, owes itself to inter-mixing of peoples with different cultural and linguistic backgrounds.

Third, for centuries Pakistanis have shared a common territorial region and civilisational area of the Indus. Indus is not just a river, it is a great civilisation that has absorbed the richness of so many religions and cultures, Islam being its most dominant shade. The name of the country, Pakistan, owes itself to the composite territories of the Indus that I am referring to.

All the political crises, conflicts and plundering by the oligarchic elite that we have endured have not shaken our faith in Pakistan. Rather, in recent decades, we have seen a greater sentiment among people to take the country back, but not knowing how and under whose leadership.

Finally, the most notable factor contributing to identity is the optimism of the Pakistani youth and their ownership of the country. Their enthusiasm, energy and love for the country offers hope that Pakistan will be put back on the rails of modernity and develop according to the vision of its founders. There is also a great hope for this vision. In the same survey, Pakistanis have rejected the Taliban, extremism and religious violence, for belittling and driving their country down.

Pakistani first – The Express Tribune

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I repect mr Hoodhboy's opinion but I prefer this article over his opinion any day. It is after all his own opinion and though there are parts I agree with, I cannot comlpetely fathom the statements he makes which as others pointed out are incorrect in part.

Ask the minorities of Pakistan, what are they, they will reply Pakistani. Ask the million of Christians, Hindus, Ahmadies, Agha Khani's and they will tell will tell you they are Pakistani's.

We are all citizens and citizens of one state. This is what makes Pakistan a nation.

Very true. I have not met a single Pakistani who says that he is Sindhi, Punjabi or pushtoon etc first then Pakistani. Surely there are some biased people but overall there is a sense of belonging to each other inspite of differences. :pakistan:

I cling on to the hope that mighty oaks from little acorns grow.
In a dense forest that obscures the sun, oaks either do not grow or become deformed, twisted and gnarled.

I am currently reading A Time to Betray, and most shocking to me, so far, is the author's account of how he, a pro-Western and liberal Muslim, was manipulated into anti-Americanism and Islamic extremism by blindly following the political leadership of the mullahs, as represented by one of his best friends. The lack of adequate political leadership at a crucial stage of the revolution - specifically, to empower force to challenge the armed followers of Khomeni - doomed Iran to rule by the mullahs, despite the wishes of the majority.

In a dense forest that obscures the sun, oaks either do not grow or become deformed, twisted and gnarled.

I am currently reading A Time to Betray, and most shocking to me, so far, is the author's account of how he, a pro-Western and liberal Muslim, was manipulated into anti-Americanism and Islamic extremism by blindly following the political leadership of the mullahs, as represented by one of his best friends. The lack of adequate political leadership at a crucial stage of the revolution - specifically, to empower force to challenge the armed followers of Khomeni - doomed Iran to rule by the mullahs, despite the wishes of the majority.

Well atleast we share the same taste in books. :tup:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom