What's new

Will It Take off?

No.

The conveyer is moving opposite to the direction of the plane.

The conveyer is negating whatever forward movement the plane is making.

Reduced (zero in this case) absolute speed of the plane has an adverse bearing on the wind speed over its wings.

The plane cannot generate enough lift.

The plane cannot take off.

Would be the opposite if the conveyor were to move in the same direction as the plane, though.

It's simple Newtonian physics. All engineers in India study that.

Are you taking friction into account also.

No it wont....Air flow on the ailerons of the wings wont create sufficient thrust to take the Plane in air....since the plane is stand still....Its like you running on a thread mill....No matter how fast you run...you will stay in the same place....

Well that might not be a proof of anything meaningful.

You see the concept is that the speed of plane is same as that of the conveyer belt, hence the plane is practically static. In the case of the video you can see that the plane is actually moving, meaning its speed is more than that of the conveyer belt, hence false experiment in my view.

But you haven't explained, WHY? That's the issue!! :azn:

So you're back to square one!

Cheers!
smoking-030.gif

These two youtube comments should help. :enjoy:

If the truck pulls the belt at 20 mph, and the pilot sets his plane to move forward at 20 mph, the wheels will then move at 40 mph to keep up with the two. The engine speed determines the forward thrust, not the wheel speed.

The takeoff IS indeed possible, since the traction is in the propeller NOT in the plane's wheels. The propeller pulls itself (and therefore the plane too) forward, by gripping on the air. The plane WILL takeoff normally but the wheels will spin twice the normal speed cause the belt is moving back. So belt or runway, it would take the same distance to build lift and

No it wont....Air flow on the ailerons of the wings wont create sufficient thrust to take the Plane in air....since the plane is stand still....Its like you running on a thread mill....No matter how fast you run...you will stay in the same place....

The only problem with drawing parallels between you running on a treadmill and a plane on a conveyor belt is that you don't have round wheels, but flat feet. The conveyor moving in the other direction will make the wheel spin faster.

I think the bigger question is, would it be possible to match the speed of the conveyor and the plane:undecided: OK I am confused now, it all made sense in my head before. Thanks OP. :taz:

^^where were you during India and Bangladesh match, Roybot? :rofl::rofl:

OK guys, here's the answer....

Cars and planes don't work the same way. A car's wheels are its means of propulsion--they push the road backwards (relatively speaking), and the car moves forward. In contrast, a plane's wheels aren't motorized; their purpose is to reduce friction during takeoff (and add it, by braking, when landing). What gets a plane moving are its propellers or jet turbines, which shove the air backward and thereby impel the plane forward. What the wheels, conveyor belt, etc, are up to is largely irrelevant.

Once the pilot fires up the engines, the plane moves forward at pretty much the usual speed relative to the ground--and more importantly the air--regardless of how fast the conveyor belt is moving backward. This generates lift on the wings, and the plane takes off. All the conveyor belt does is, make the plane's wheels spin madly.

Yep! The plane will take off!!

Cheers! ;)

The case of the plane and conveyor belt

NO , as net movement is zero ... plans remains stationary amount of movement forward is equal to movement backward

A plane flies , due to the lift created when Air , goes under the wing , and the flow is higher below the wing vs above it
this Lift is naturally created by the movement of the plane

On a conveyer belt , the plan will remain stationary only the wheels will rotate but there is no increase of wind flow coming towards the plane

Conversely , if a stationary plane is in wind tunnel , and `WIND` is directed at the plane , this simulated wind ...at high velocities will make a plane model move up and down ... Why becasue the wind flow is what creates a lift of a plane ....

This is the same reason why Airplanes do not fly in SPACE , no wind

If this was a Physics questions in grade 9 or 10 I would have aced this question with bonus marks
and I would have been proud

For people who are still confused, ever see a helicopter take off?

Yes.

There is no doubt that the plane, of any sort, will take off.
But the problem is that, it is not feasible. If it could be done, runways would be no longer used for take-offs.

For people who are still confused, ever see a helicopter take off?

Seriously. Don't they teach the Bernouilli effect in schools anymore?
I can't believe people are confused about why airplanes fly.

Is helicopter really an ideal example fitting this scene?

helicopter-fly.gif

As the forces acting downwards, so helicopter won't need runway to gain effective momentum for takeoff.

Back
Top Bottom