What's new

Windows XP support: Dutch government enters into multi-million euro deal with Microsoft

$@rJen

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Windows XP support: Dutch government enters into multi-million euro deal with Microsoft

2014-04-07.png

Just a few days after the UK government signed a £5.548 million deal with Microsoft for a year’s worth of Windows XP support, the government of the Netherlands has signed another multi-million Euro deal with the company for continued support of its Windows XP systems, according to Dutch News.

As per the report, around 34000-40000 Dutch national government civil servants are still using Windows XP computers. The deal is expected to provide continued Windows XP support until all government PCs are migrated to a new system, which is due to happen in January 2015.

A similar deal between the software giant and the United Kingdom government is expected to see the former provide critical security updates for XP, Office 2003, and Exchange 2003 until April 8, 2015.

As of tomorrow, Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP for the general public. This means there will no longer be any updates or security patches for the OS, making it vulnerable to security threats. The company has urged XP users to migrate to a more recent supported operating system.

"It's really critical that consumers who still own Windows XP devices recognize that it's not just about upgrading to something new. This is about protecting your PC from security threats, especially if you are using the internet", said Jason Lim, Microsoft’s general manager of Windows business group.

On the other hand, ATM operators are considering a move to Linux, as it would give them more control over both hardware and software upgrade cycles. Around 95 percent of the automated teller machines around the globe are currently powered by Windows XP.

They could have just upgraded the OS with all that money...idiots.

They could have just upgraded the OS with all that money...idiots.

No point, if the idea is to upgrade OS than why build new OS. XP has to go away but Microsoft is smart they can even support and make XP to beat Linux variants, but they went easy on them. Microsoft is getting independent Contract but they are all based on qualification MS will not upgrade and support XP for many companies for many reason they will have to also increase the licenses of Win 8.1+

Win 8.1 is not a bad OS but I tell you there are things that need correction or redesign they could simply have put a launch in task bar for in window Metro who could have been maximize or minimize just like OSX has windows running. Instead of switching from metro to classic win 8. I already have forwarded the idea to Microsoft and am waiting for their official reply. There are a number of design changes i am working on and will forward to MS i hope something miraculous they would add to Windows 8.2 or 9.

There are some limitations on using higher windows esp of compatibility. As an engineer, my profession softwares do not run with higher windows. So, to raise all material for & will cost us in billions. So, extended XP support is the best answer until next 5-10 years

There are some limitations on using higher windows esp of compatibility. As an engineer, my profession softwares do not run with higher windows. So, to raise all material for & will cost us in billions. So, extended XP support is the best answer until next 5-10 years

Well that is a bad planning on part of the software developers of your company/organization where you work, they should have developed software to have compatibility with which version of software or should have kept the software with room for upgrades for the future. So you can't just blame MS.

I am using XP and I never needed any "support".

itYZ5d8.gif

Lets hope they keep making windows 8,9,10,11,12 ..... so on and then restart windows 98 again :p::enjoy:

I am using XP and I never needed any "support".

itYZ5d8.gif
Well if that means you never run windows update and install those security patches then you might probably have a bunch of trojan backdoors in your system
a hacker might be checking out your files or watching you through your webcam

They should just upgrade, it will just create more problems in the future it they keep using old OS.

Post the model number I maybe able to find a way to make it work for you on Win 8.

Thanks for offering your help.
I have the Canon LiDE 20 flatbed scanner. It used to work with XP and Vista. Now that I am running Windows 7 and 8, it stops working. It have tried to install other Canon LiDE scanner drivers suggested in the forums. Either the system rejected them or they didn't work.
I also had tried to use those online driver outfits, but I just couldn't trust them because they wanted to install their driver scanning software in my computer first.
So I just donated the scanner to charity and got myself a new all-in-one printer-scanner-fax-copier.

Well that is a bad planning on part of the software developers of your company/organization where you work, they should have developed software to have compatibility with which version of software or should have kept the software with room for upgrades for the future. So you can't just blame MS.
I am a protection engineer. Our relay communicate with laptop using softwares which are not released or available for win7 versions. Also we have many old relay which will not work if softwares are transferred to Win7 etc

Back
Top Bottom