What's new

Working on giving India access to Defence technology: US

The nuclear cooperation agreement was originally submitted to Congress for review by the George W. Bush administration in May 2008, in part as an effort to bolster bilateral cooperation between the United States and Russia on issues beyond the agreement's scope (for example, on the question of Iran's nuclear program). However, the administration withdrew the agreement from Congress following Russia's war with Georgia in August of that year, as the U.S.-Russian relationship hit a post-Cold War low.

President Obama resubmitted the agreement to Congress in May 2010 as part of his 'reset' policy with Moscow. The reset aimed to move the U.S.-Russian relationship out of the shadow of the Georgia conflict in order to gain Russia's cooperation on Iran, the war in Afghanistan, and other regional issues. At summit meetings between Obama and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev in April and July 2009, the two presidents committed to bring the 123 Agreement into force.[3]

Although the agreement did not require legislative approval, it could have been rejected by Congress if both houses had passed a resolution of disapproval within 90 legislative days of its submission. Two resolutions of disapproval were in fact introduced but not approved.[4] As a result, the 90 day period lapsed on 9 December and the pact will now enter into force once the exchange of notes is completed.

The agreement creates a broad legal framework for cooperation on nuclear research, production and trade, thereby removing obstacles to collaborative work on next-generation nuclear reactors and the development of fuel cycle technologies.[5] This means that Russian companies such as the state nuclear fuel producer Tekhsnabexport (TENEX) will now be free to cooperate more closely with U.S. enterprises such as Westinghouse and General Electric. There are also indications that Rosatom may explore the possibility of establishing a uranium enrichment plant in the United States.[6]

One element of the agreement that has proved controversial with Russian environmental groups is that it theoretically allows Russia to import, reprocess and store spent fuel from U.S.-supplied reactors located abroad.[7] Past Russian government estimates indicated that spent fuel importation could prove to be a lucrative venture, bringing in as much as $20 billion over ten years.[8] There is little support for such a move among the public, however, and Russian environmentalists have objected to the 123 Agreement on the grounds that Russia might import spent nuclear fuel from the United States or U.S.-origin spent fuel from third countries. However, Russian importation of spent fuel from the United States has never been at issue, and Rosatom spokesman Sergei Novikov stated at a December 7, 2010 press conference that Russia will only accept spent fuel from Soviet- and Russian-built nuclear reactors.[9]

It's not just New START: Two other U.S.-Russian Nuclear Agreements Boost U.S.-Russian Reset | CNS

Russia is also backing the TAPI pipeline along with USA and ASEAN who can offer insurance for it unlike IPI which does not have that luxury but not sure if they will ever see the light of day, I guess it all depends on regional security.

Good, I say India should by all it's weapons from the US. Keep pushing Russia towards Pakistan, we love you for it! ♥♥♥

Thank you. But if history is any indication, India plays that game way better than you do. :)

The fact is Russia is not comfortable with Pakistan, one of the reasons being they know Pakistan is firmly ensconsed in the US camp from the start - its China which is nudging Russia forcefully towards Pakistan and the Russians are playing along because the chinese are standing behind russia in syria, iran and earlier libyia.

I am quite sceptical about the russia, china, pakistan nexus that most pakistanis dream of, neither any significant defense or geopolitical ties of any serious nature will fall in place between russia and pakistan.

Also to hope that bcos india's moving closer to US, russia will court pakistan to spite us is again a far stretch because we have multiple channels of communications and collaborations with the russians which can easily be used to make a point if any of us need to.

the russians and the americans are in different sort of confrontation mode and regional interests are given up or held on as the situation arises. If the russians are told not to engage the pakistanis and are given something else in return, they will drop the minor overtures immediately. Good relations with known opposite campers is not their goal, they are on a different plane alltogether....so dont keep your hopes high.

I can see your point of view, though I disagree with it. I feel like I'm just repeating myself, so I'm not gonna bother giving a proper answer.

Still, let's agree to disagree.

You see after the 123 agreement was signed (which would never be possible without the backing of US and it's pressure on key allies) the first thing India did was sign a nuclear accord with Russia and France. The Indian nuclear industry is set to be worth $100bn going forward in the next 15-20 years, it is a big pie and everyone wants a slice of it. There is some interesting articles online I will try to find for you on this subject.

Sure, but there is always more to international politics than just money.

Thank you. But if history is any indication, India plays that game way better than you do. :)

I beg to differ, but suit yourself. If you think the US won't play you and then throw you away after you're of no use to them, then all power to you. Just be careful what you wish for, because you might get exactly what you're asking.

I beg to differ, but suit yourself. If you think the US won't play you and then throw you away after you're of no use to them, then all power to you.

That is exactly what I was referring to when I said Indians were better than you in that game. Just because you got that treatment from the US doesn't mean we would let ourselves go through the same. You have no idea how cautious Indian top brass are when they deal with the US. Rest assured they will make sure we don't suffer the same fate as you did and also unlike you when it comes to foreign policy generally Indian national interest has been superseding internal politics. :)

Mate deterrence is only the last case scenario, no country jumps to their nuclear weapon in the beginning. .

Except countries like Pakistan and North Korea :toast_sign:. What a fine pair they make!

That is exactly what I was referring to when I said Indians were better than you in that game. Just because you got that treatment from the US doesn't mean we would let ourselves go through the same. You have no idea how cautious Indian top brass are when they deal with the US. Rest assured they will make sure we don't suffer the same fate as you did and also unlike you when it comes to foreign policy generally Indian national interest has been superseding internal politics. :)

Hey, if it works out, then great.

Something for you to consider...

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.”

― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sorry to interrupt the ongoing discussion oops banter...but it has swayed from USA-INDIA Cooperation to declining Indo- Russian ties to booming Pak- Russian ties. Many Indians here won't agree that the Indo- Russian relations have strained, minuscule it may be but it has happened. Similarly my Pakistani friends will disagree that Pak- Russian military or political brass cozying up are nothing major in today's politics. It's a common issue here, amongst most of the Pak-Indi members to bring ongoing political fiasco into discussions. The thread is about USA-INDIA Cooperation et al , plz don't bring ego confrontations and geopolitics into it, it spoils the thread discussions.

( Sorry if hurt someone.)

Good job US>.....I m glad like minded civilians in both countries will see we have more in common

Good, I say India should by all it's weapons from the US. Keep pushing Russia towards Pakistan, we love you for it! ♥♥♥

You people getting great stuff from your chinese friends aka russian maal.. :pakistan:

You people getting great stuff from your chinese friends aka russian maal.. :pakistan:

Pakistan isn't looking to buy Russian systems (except maybe the RD-93 jet engines), what it wants is Russian expertise and assistance.

Pakistan isn't looking to buy Russian systems (except maybe the RD-93 jet engines), what it wants is Russian expertise and assistance.

Which it will never get because of two things :

1. India's strongest ally

2. Pakistan can't even manufacture a crap simple plane like jf 17 without China spoonfeeding it.

3. Pakistan is a virtual black hole. Every PM after finishing term flees country. This much political instability makes it bad for any an major investment.

4. American mojo still lives in Pakistan's power corridors to some extent.

2. Pakistan can't even manufacture a crap simple plane like jf 17 without China spoonfeeding it.

3. Pakistan is a virtual black hole. Every PM after finishing term flees country. This much political instability makes it bad for any major investment.

3. Pakistan is a virtual black hole. Every PM after finishing term flees country. This much political instability makes it bad for any an major investment.

This is post of yours is really terrible.

1. For India being Russia's strongest ally, it sure is cozying up to the US.

2. First of all, at least the JF-17 is in production, unlike your LCA. Second, 90% of the JF-17 is produced in Pakistan, the only thing that we need is the engines, which China gets for us. Keep in mind that Russia originally denied this, at the request of India, but later on granted permission for China to resume the transfer of the engine to Pakistan. There have been recent rumors that Pakistan may end up getting the engines directly from Russia soon. So much for your "strongest ally" argument.

3. You have no idea what you're talking about, so don't even pretend to know Pakistan's situation.

4. American mojo is creeping into India quite quickly, and leaving Pakistan quite quickly. This thread's very topic pretty much re-enforces my solidified fact. Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom